Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Glendower, and Glendower Dungeon
Hi all,

So, I run at least one BM game at a local con, in April. Given the time slot, and all, I am eyeing a reasonably short dungeon crawl.

I am thinking about an adventure, centered on the dungeon of Glendower, perhaps with the background of the Battle of Glendower, with my usual Firewater/LFC tweaks.

Thoughts/comments/ideas?

My basic approach to Glendower dungeon has always been that it's an UNFINISHED building complex -
meaning that the original architects abandoned it some time along the way, for whatever reason.
That reason, obviously, is what defines the scenario... Wink

Thanks,

Rafe
A few thoughts:

1) Glendower is most likely what was originally the fief of Sir Jenkins. It is possible that Jenkins was the one who started the construction of the dungeon. Sir Jenkins himself eventually ended up becoming a Vampire. Not sure, but he may have been sired by Sir Fang. Sir Jenkins may likely be encountered somehwere in the dungeon.

2) Glendower Town has a building known as the Tomb of the Grey Dragon. The Tomb most likely connects to the dungeon. It is possible that the tomb was built to commemorate a good dragon that was slain during the Battle of Glendower. Or maybe just Gertie's lair? I am not sure about that. The statue of a grey dragon can be seen on top of the tomb.

3) I may be confusing this with the Temple of Id, but I think that Glendower's Dungeons also connect to the Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor.

4) The most famous tales from the Battle of Glendower (1015) is when the Flying Monk got his name and how he burned down the forest to turn the tide of the battle. It is not clear, but likely, that Brother Richard's brother Bosero the Drunkard also participated in the battle.

5) The Battle of Glendower was against Orc forces (serving the Egg). Perhaps some of those Orcs are still around in the dungeons?

6) I am sure you know this, but the maps of the dungeon are found in the FFC. Zimriel did some additional work on fleshing out the Dungeon that can be found here.

Further recommended reading:
FFC - Dungeon Maps and Illustration of Glendower
DA1 - Brother Richard entry

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hehe, thank you for the summary! Smile

I am not quite sure where I'll go with this, but I guess it will be something about summong Gertie, or the like.
Perhaps I'll have the dragon statue will come alive, or something... There's a few "Game of Thrones" ideas that might be interesting for a D&D crawl... But I haven't decided yet, of course. Wink

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonbinder
Here's another idea that is in no way canon, but could be interesting:

Sir Jenkins did indeed become a Vampire. As we all know, the Dark Curse of the Embrace grants unique blessings to each Vampire. Sir Jenkins has the unusual ability that he can only truly be killed if his heart is devoured by a Werewolf.

This is the real reason why Baron Bascom Ungulian is a werewolf. He let himself be turned into one, although he keeps his condition in check with his ring untill he can face the Vampire-Knight. Sir Jenkins is powerful though, so Bascom would need aid of the PCs to make sure he can defeat Jenkins and his minions.

Would tie things nicely together. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Running this next weekend! Will post some further updates as I go along.