Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] Won the First Fantasy Campaign Setting on ebay
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=284

Apercu:

Normally, I'm pursuing missing items for my Basic D&D collection when I bid, but I had to get this one. This is a 1977 Edition of the First Fantasy Campaign book with the maps and everything. Had somebody nearly grab it from me today, but I won it. If I can get it here in time, I plan on asking Dave if he'll autograph it. Either way, I'm pretty happy to have this in my collection.

Rafael:

Congratulations!!!

Now that you might already have flipped through it, what do you think of it? Smile

Apercu:

I come to the Blackmoor campaign late. Years ago, when I was really into D&D, I played Basic D&D (Moldvay, then Mentzer). Dave's name was on the book, but I sort of was under the impression that Gary was the man who started it. It was many years later, within the last four or five, that I began to learn more of who Dave was and what he really did for the rpg.

I say this not to spark debates, but to explain where I'm coming from here. This is not to disrespect anybody. I do have an appreciation for Gary's work, and he certainly is well respected in the community.

I knew of Blackmoor, but I never ventured very far into AD&D. I prefer Basic. But, I've read with great interest stories from the old days. I've observed the community. One of the local game store owners mentioned that he sponsored Dave to get him to a local con a few years back, and he speaks with respect of him. In my research, I've come to the realization that there wouldn't be the big rpg effort, or it would be much different, if not for Dave.

Therefore, I wanted to know more. I noticed Dave was a guest at Gencon, and I decided I wanted to go and listen to his presentation. I want to learn more about the early days. I hope I can get in as I will be getting my badge the Wednesday before Gencon gets started.

But you asked about the book, and here I am rambling on.

Once I won the bit, I had to get it asap, so I went priority. It showed up a couple days later, and in superb condition. The book was in a plastic wrap, and the maps were in another one. I was reluctant to take it out, because this was a 1977 book in great condition.

I was amazed by what I read. The thought process that went into this game. AC, HD and other stats. How certain things happened. The infamous Egg of Coot. What an exciting time to be a gamer. I bet I'm not the only one here who would loved to be at the table for this campaign. Imagine creating it all for the first time and having others come and play and come back for more. Dave mentions the contributions others made to the campaign.

It's all there. I have only just skimmed through it, but I'm loving what I see. The dungeon maps under Blackmoor are cool. My brother used to use that style of mapping a lot. I like the stories that I've read about events that shaped the course of blackmoor, the battles. This really is a neat book.

I'm glad that Dave has an outlet for new Blackmoor stuff, because he definitely has something to contribute the the rpg. I'll probably check out some of that stuff at Gencon, though I don't really play 3.5. It would be worth it just to see what he's come up with.

I'll probably post more observations from this book after I give it a better read.

Gsvenson:
It was an incredible experience! Especially, when you consider that when this was happening there was literally nothing else like it in the world and nothing to compare it to. Being one of the players was like being a major character in a "Lord of the Rings" or "Conan" novel. It was hard to wait for the next Saturday when you could find out what would happen next...

Apercu:

I love reading the stories about those days. You guys were laying the ground work for role playing games, and there are many people who don't realize what went on. Yes, the game is more polished now and everything, but back then it was being defined. This is why I would love that documentary to be released. Heck, I'd make a movie about it if I had the money.

That's why I'm glad I got this book, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I make the presentation at Gencon. Love Svensen's Freehold. The book had the maps and this little bit about it:

Greg Svensen began as a player with all the others, but during the later part of the first year, he really began clicking and had a character that has been a part of the game ever since that date. He plays more than most, but rather than take great risks, he runs to fight another day. Thus, although incredibly long lived, he is still only 15th level. There have been two ther players (Bob Meyer and Richard Sinder * , that have reached 20th level, getting them a free dinner, pat on the back and a retired character), but they are gone to a higher plane.

In his early days, Greg built a small keep for himself and some friends (all from Carr's FITS Society Group), and herin are the plans of that edifice. It was destroyed once (the second time Blackmoor fell) but was rebuilt in toto. Greg then went on to build Vesterfold Dungeon and another complete castle of his own on the Outdoor Survival Board.

* There's a section for Richard's additions on Dragons.

Probably shouldn't put too much out there as this is Dave's work. I just wanted to share that. The more I read, the more I like what I see. Loch Gloomen doesn't sound like a very fun place either.

****************************'

Gsvenson:
Quote:Apercu wrote:
Loch Gloomen doesn't sound like a very fun place either.
Ah, we were all exiled there after we lost the city of Blackmoor to the Egg and the orcs. The change of scenery did us all good, because we had been focusing on Blackmoor and our own personal adventures rather than seeing the "big picture". Svenny died when the Egg of Coot and the Ran of An Foo jointly attacked us. When Svenny charged the hords of orcs the rest of the guys hung back rather than join him, leaving him to fight some 5,000 orcs by himself. He killed over 200 orcs before he fell. The rest of the guys realized that Svenny couldn't do it by himself and joined in to eventually win the battle. Afterwards, they took Svenny's body to the Bishop, who raised him from the dead. Svenny's lowest moment. Needless to say, I was furious...

Apercu:

Wow, way to back a guy up there fellas. We're all behind you man, just not so close :razz:

5000 Orcs, Must have been one heck of an epic battle.

At least they got Svenny raised again, but it sounds like he might not have died if everybody had stood with him from the start. Still, 200 kills is pretty impressive.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign