Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Gorrim Awakens
Have you guys taken a look at the Blackmoor Deity named Gorrim from the Dwarf Pantheon?

Gorrim is the dwarven God of Death, Murder and Thieves. Interestingly he is said to be asleep "below the Regent of the Mines' Seat of power". Although wards are in pace to keep him asleep, he is beginning to stir. (CS p 166)

It is also worth mentioning that in the description of Pathmeer, the Dwarven god of rogues and spies (CS p 167), it is revealed that Pathmeer is the brother of Gorrim. Those who follow Pathmeer know a secret that must be revealed before Gorrim awakens. Pathmeer is LG btw, which is weird for a god of Rogues and spies, right?

So what does this all mean?

In my original writeup, I had Gorrim be just the dwarven name of Thanatos. I am starting to rethink that theory though. One idea I have is that Gorrim is not an actual God, but instead another one of the Sleeping Ones. Interestingly, Freedom92 already made a connection between the Sleeping Ones in the Dark Dwarves thread.

What do you guys think of these ideas? And what could Pathmeer's secret be all about?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:What do you guys think of these ideas? And what could Pathmeer's secret be all about?

-Havard
Perhaps Pathmeer knows the true name/incantation that will awaken his brother?
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:
Havard Wrote:What do you guys think of these ideas? And what could Pathmeer's secret be all about?

Perhaps Pathmeer knows the true name/incantation that will awaken his brother?

That is an interesting interpretation. It is certainly a possibility. My own immediate thought was that Pathmeer could somehow warn the other Gods or know some secret that could somehow prevent him from destroying Blackmoor.

The d20 Blackmoor CS is unusual in that it has several deities who are said to physically reside on the Mortal Plane (Prime Plane, whatever). This includes the Dragon Deities and now also Gorrim. I am not sure whether I like this feature. Why not call them Avatars or something?

Also, yet another looming doom of Blackmoor's destruction, just tossed out like this? That is why I prefer my option of the Sleeping Ones. The main problem with Sleeping Ones is not that they are likely to awaken (little chance of that), but that they influence surface dwellers through dreams.

Pathmeer is problematic in many ways. First of all the alignment of LG, mixed with the portfolio of Thieves as well as being the brother of Gorrim. I am inclined to think LG is a typo and that it is supposed to read NG. Perhaps someone with the Softcover at hand can check if it was fixed?

-Havard
A sleeping dwarven god with destructive powers on awakening sounds an awful lot like, oh, I dunno, a volcano?

If one were to take that interpretation, one might associate him with an incarnation of a certain fire-loving demon...? No reason to limit the worship to just the Afridhi.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:A sleeping dwarven god with destructive powers on awakening sounds an awful lot like, oh, I dunno, a volcano?

If one were to take that interpretation, one might associate him with an incarnation of a certain fire-loving demon...? No reason to limit the worship to just the Afridhi.

That makes alot of sense! Smile

-Havard