• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] War for Blackmoor Town
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=185

Rafael:
Hi all,

It's summer, and time has come for me to prepare some of the campaigns
I want to run on the long hand...

My basic idea for my next campaign is to finally place it in Blackmoor Town and have the party explore Blackmoor Dungeon one level after another.

Yet, my base being the new DoCBM book from ZGG, I am a bit unsure how to lure the party in.

My idea was the following: Monsters again swarm out of Blackmoor Dungeon, and take back the castle, expulsing the royal family.

The whole city becomes a place for guerilla warfare and battles, as humans and elves unite again to take back Blackmoor bay from the servants of the old Sar-Aigu.

(Those are supposed to be major antagonists in that campaign; as to the Egg, I am not sure, but is extremely unlikely that it will play a role in this game.)

Yet, I am not too sure how to set it up...

So, any ideas will be more than welcome!

[As a further note, The map/descriptions given in the FFC will form the base of the outdoor parts of the campaign, while the main base for the dungeon part is supposed to be DoCBM. Estimated in game year will be some time about 1030, most likely 1034 or 1035.]

Hoping for you good suggestions!

Yours,

Rafael

Gsvenson:
I thought you had a pretty solid set of plans already. The Orc tribe in the dungeon would make a major force. While they took great losses both when the local heroes attacked them and when they took the town in the past, they have also had about 20 years to recover...

There are many ways in or out of the dungeon beyond the main entrance in the castle. If you have FFC, check the catacombs under the city. There is even an entrance under Zvenzen's Freehold.

Another tact might be to just have a small party of bad guys come out of the dungeon and steal something and then retreat into the dungeon. The adventurers could then be sent in to recover it.

Rafael:

Smile Thank you! I see you answered quite some time ago already. :oops: Didn't get any more email notifications from my own board...

At least as far as I can see things going right now, I think I will indeed build something around the orc treat, and most likely Baron Fant, the vampire.
I haven't DMed a pure dungeon crawl in a while, so this will certainly be fun.

Yet, that is where I am not sure how to handle the situation. Directly under what is supposedly the mightiest fortress in all the northern lands, a mighty orc reibe dwells for over three decades now, only a few steps away from the king's dormitory? - That is what I have difficulties to understand.

Would it be logical if the dungeon had been cleaned totally, or at least being sealed? Smile

Havard:
Will you be using the FFC map of Blackmoor town?

Rafael:

Yeah ofcourse! Smile

***********************'
Havard:

I asked because at least IMC the FFC material occurs about 30 years before ZGG material. The town doesn't seem too big on the FFC map, but perhaps the town has now grown a bit, leaving what is depicted on that map as the Old Town, while new settlements have been built outside the original walls?

Just an idea... Smile

Rafael:

Probably - but the problem is that just don't have the power to re-design the entire Blackmoor city in the meantime. Especially with all the invasions from the Egg, and the impending danger from the dungeons, I doubt that Blackmoor was considered an attractive place to live. Maybe Uther just stayed there with his court precisely tzo keep control over the dungeon area...

Gsvenson:

The dungeon entrance into the basement of the castle has been sealed since the first time the orcs came out some 35 years ago now. When parties wanted to go in after that, the door that they wished to use was opened temporarily and heavily guarded. But there are lots of other ways into the dungeon. The catacombs under the city (I think that they are layed out in FFC) connect into the dungeon. If I remember correctly there are several tunnels from the catacombs that enter the dungeon on the 5th level.

The new town-old town concept is good. You could assume that the new town is mostly just additional peasant hovels outside of the city walls. That would make it relatively easy.

Baron Fant has been known as Sir Fang since his metamorphosis...

Rafael:
It will be fun to tinker on that, I think. Smile
IIRC, the FFC covers not all of BM town, and the maps are a bit confusing a well, since the buildings are numbered, but no description is given.

If I get some spare time, I think I'll first go on and describe every building corresponding to a number. Smile

Baron Fang could be worthy BBEG for my campaign, since I in general like vampires as antagonists.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign