Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] Churches of Blackmoor
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/viewtop ... f=40&t=160

Havard:

One of my old favorite topics for any setting!

Has anyone done anything with the various Churches and Temples of Blackmoor?

How does the Thonian Church look upon the Deities of the North for instance?

Havard

Gsvenson:

I am not sure. Mike Carr played the Bishop of Blackmoor in the original campaign. There was only one church/temple then, so I suppose that we were monotheistic at that time. He had a cute name for the church, but I don't recall what it was, the Church of the Facts of Life or something like that. I can't really answer for the current version of the setting.

Havard:
Ah, I remember reading something about this in the writeup for Bishop Carr in the FFC. It was a pretty funny writeup by the way.

My impression is that demihumans have their own churches. As do the Afridhi, the Skandaharians, the Froglin and the Peshwa. The Church of Thonia is probably the main religion both in the Empire and in Blackmoor as well as the Duchy of Ten. Not sure what the Duchy of the Peaks believe in other than their own pleasures.

I like the idea of the main religion being sort of Monotheistic. I'm thinking the different Deities could be more like saints or Aspects to live by rather than different Gods as such. This also fits well with the BECMI D&D rules where high level characters can become Immortals and have clerics getting spells from them. Smile

Havard

Rafael:
Was that Mike Carr the same person that was later a high-rank employee at TSR and the author of Dawn Patrol? :mymy: Smile

Gsvenson:
Yes, that's him. And "Dawn Patrol" was a redo of "Fight in the Skies" by Guidon Games. He also contributed to "Don't Give Up the Ship" with Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax, if I remember correctly. I last saw him in 1993 when I was on a business trip to Chicago, where he is a commodities trader. He was living just across the border in Wisconsin at the time.

Rafael:
Smile I hope he's well. A friend of mine was a huge Dawn Patrol fan back in the day.

As to the original topic, IMC the human population of Blackmoor is basically monotheistic and worships only Odin (yeah, Odin). The church pof Blackmoor is the only real centre of worship, next to Fairfield Abbey.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign