Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
City Maps: Lake Gloomy
[Image: 15858157562_a0d0cce08e.jpg]

In my series of City Maps, the time has come for Lake Gloomy. The introduction of Lake Gloomy came at dramatic time in Dave Arneson's campaign when the PCs had lost Blackmoor to the Egg of Coot.

In the DA modules, Gloomy is controlled by the Baroness of the Lake, Lady Rissa Aleford.

I have based this map on the town map in the D20 Temple of the Frog module. However, that map has numbers on buildings that have no descriptions attached to them. Have I overlooked something or was that something that was cut from the module?

More City Maps
-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Looks really good to me: Gloomy as it should be!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:Looks really good to me: Gloomy as it should be!

Thanks my friend! Smile

I would have liked to add more detail to this map, but at the same time I want to stay consistant with the map in the module. The roads and directions are things that were not included in that map, but taken from the main Blackmoor maps.

-Havard
Unfortunately, the Lake Gloomy map from the d20 Temple of the Frog sourcebook doesn't match at all the written description of the city.

From what I remember from the d20 setting:

- Lake Gloomy's walls are wooden palisade
- a part of the city is built over water
- Lake Gloomy is the capitol of the Barony of the Lakes
- People can see the brass door from the War Road.

I think the description of Lake Gloomy is more colorful than the dull map in the sourcebook which could feature any generic pseudo-medieval town.

I'd try to make a map which truly show Lake Gloomy's character.
FXR Wrote:Unfortunately, the Lake Gloomy map from the d20 Temple of the Frog sourcebook doesn't match at all the written description of the city.

From what I remember from the d20 setting:

- Lake Gloomy's walls are wooden palisade
- a part of the city is built over water
- Lake Gloomy is the capitol of the Barony of the Lakes
- People can see the brass door from the War Road.

I think the description of Lake Gloomy is more colorful than the dull map in the sourcebook which could feature any generic pseudo-medieval town.

I'd try to make a map which truly show Lake Gloomy's character.

Some good feedback there FXR, thanks! Smile

I went back and took a look at the description from the Hardback. From what I can see the town is not built on the lake, but heavy rain turns most of the ground into mud for large parts of the year. Because of this many of the buildings are built on stilts.

If I am doing a second version, I could easily make the walls look more like wooden palisades (which the town does have).

The Hardback also mentions that the War Road is solid and leads right into town, into the market square, which seems like a pretty important location in town, at least to the locals.

I think if I was making up a map from scratch I would have placed the gate on the north side since that makes more sense with the War Road. At this point I have to make the War Road turn around Gloomy. I am also not sure if the War Road continues to Midges or to The Neck?

I am also looking at the description from the FFC, but I have forgotten how to read the kind of "map" instructions that Arneson gives here. I think I had that system figured out at some point. Anyway, it would be interesting to incorporate those things too.

-Havard
I am going to use that map in a game fairly soon. Can you perhaps post a bigger version of it, brother? Smile
I'd just like to hop in to say that I like the maps. As far as trying to match image from one module with text from another, that's always tricky and I suppose it comes down to Dave's level of contribution for each product in order to determine which source trumps which other source.

In my opinion, if at all possible, it would be nice to stick to the earlier source (DA module) as the primary inspiration but try to clean up inconsistencies with the d20 product as best as possible. For example, it would be possible to exchange stone walls for wooden palisades without changing the shape of the town.

Great maps, though, and I'd like to "second" the motion that they be posted larger if possible. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Rafael Wrote:I am going to use that map in a game fairly soon. Can you perhaps post a bigger version of it, brother? Smile

Hey,
I am glad you like this map. I will take a look

finarvyn Wrote:I'd just like to hop in to say that I like the maps. As far as trying to match image from one module with text from another, that's always tricky and I suppose it comes down to Dave's level of contribution for each product in order to determine which source trumps which other source.

In my opinion, if at all possible, it would be nice to stick to the earlier source (DA module) as the primary inspiration but try to clean up inconsistencies with the d20 product as best as possible. For example, it would be possible to exchange stone walls for wooden palisades without changing the shape of the town.

Great maps, though, and I'd like to "second" the motion that they be posted larger if possible. 8)

Thanks! I agree with your input. Looking at my HD, it seems like I was working on replacing the wall with a palisade. Is there anything else from DA1 or the FFC that should be included in an updated version of the map?

-Havard
I think that map fits pretty well with the FFC/COTT stuff. There is little detail to be found there, but what I noticed is that the town is built on an island in a "featureless" swamp. There is a "muddy road" leading south. In CoTT we are told that there is a cannon protecting the west gate - so presumably the main gate. Svensons character was killed protecting the "Southwest portion" of the town and I thought somewhere it was said he was defending a gate, but I haven't found that reference.

I'm guessing the DA map is based on something Dave drew and that is why it is numbered.
Better?

[Image: 27464460595_d947822ebb_o.jpg]

I added the cannon mentioned by Aldarron. I made it look more like a mortar, but I guess it could as easily be a more modern cannon. Walls are now wooden palisades.

Edit:
Things to be added in next update:
  • Portes Winery (Thieves Guild Safehouse) BMPG p 206)
  • Coat of Arms, and facts sheet
  • Temples

-Havard