Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[WFI Repost] ZGG line opinions?
http://wayfarer.myfreeforum.org/ZGG_lin ... out50.html

Havard:
How many people have bought any of the books from the ZGG Blackmoor D20 line? What is the general opinion of those books? Which do people think are the best etc?

Havard

Rafael:
I so far own all the books of ZGG line, with *The Redwood Scar* being my high favourite, followed DoCB. :lol:

Plaag:
I own them all except player guide..The Redwood Scar module was good, but Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor was the worst. I love Blackmoor, so I'm hoping the Temple of the Frog will not disappoint, otherwise I think I'll only buy other books that come later if I can find them cheap.

ShaneG.

Rafael:

DoCB made a very unready impression to me. I liked the dungeon a lot, and it was fun to read through,

but I felt that it would have needed some more work on it.

However, for me personally, the best megadungeon released for 3e.

Now, I liked Caverns of Thracia and RttToEE as well, so maybe it's just me and my wicked personal tastes... :lol:

Finarvyn:
I own all of the Zeitgeist BM products.

1. The fact that they are 3E based taints them somewhat. Not to slam 3E, but since that game system wasn't around in the 1960's and 1970's this means that certain parts of each book had to be created and tweaked just to fit these rules. In other words, they're not pure BM anymore.

2. I agree that Dungeons seems hurried. I have no idea why it was felt that 20 levels of a dungeon were needed; the First Fantasy Campaign book of the 1970's had ten levels and I would rather have seen those levels explained better rather than adding another ten levels.

I will continue to support Blackmoor by buying the new products, but I would rather see something compatible with C&C or OD&D and with a more "old school" feel. What I would like to see is a tidied up First Fantasy Campaign type book of Dave's original campaign notes and such, not a lot of new stuff recently developed.

Just my two cents.

D&D Player Since 1975

Rafael:
I am pretty curious what ZGG is up to next - for, if their books again receive such harsh critiques as they did last autumn, that would be a mess... Confusedad3:
**************************'

Finarvyn:
I also wonder what Zeitgeist is up to next. Using the FFC and OD&D Supplement II as our general guide, they seem to have developed most of the most "iconic" parts of the Blackmoor campaign already. (General campaign, Dungeons of Blackmoor, Temple of the Frog)

Just some ideas:
* They could develop the town of Blackmoor more.
* They could get into the techno-magic aspect of the campaign.
* There must be a crashed spaceship to explore.
* Perhaps a book with more detail about some of the most significant personalities of the campaign, although a lot of this is already in the core rulebook.
* Glendover dungeon could be expanded, as could Mello's establishment and Svenny's stronghold. These all seemed pretty brief in the FFC and I don't know how much detail is needed here.
* Module DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor had a time-travel element. Perhaps a more developed timeline with guidelines for time travel would be interesting.

Zeitgeist is already putting out quite a few "episodes" to use to experinece the world. What's next, nation splatbooks? I wonder if there are enough differences in the elves of the campaign (for example) to make an entire nation book worthwhile and I'd hate to have a bunch of generic books cranked out just to make the campaign "complete".

Just thinkin'...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign