Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor: Before the Flood
[Image: 15318739561_32b1fb1c9b_z.jpg]

Hi gang,
just wanted to share a little map I have been working on. When the Egg of Coot rose from the depth, the result was a flood that destroyed large parts of the Elven Lands and connected the Black Sea with the North Sea. This also meant the Skandaharian "Raiders of the West now had access to the coastal towns of the Black Sea.

Note: This map is more in line with the first draft of the Blackmoor map presented in the FFC. The idea is that historic events caused the changes on the map. This is also in line with Zimriel's descriptions of the rise of the Egg of Coot.

This map details Blackmoor just prior to the Rise of the Egg. I also plan on making maps for the Mage Wars era and other periods of Blackmoor's early history.

Let me know what you think! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I don't think Maus should be landlocked. It would never have grown as to be the larger city in the North if it didn't have access to the sea.
FXR Wrote:I don't think Maus should be landlocked. It would never have grown as to be the larger city in the North if it didn't have access to the sea.

Thanks for commenting FXR!

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well. I think you are right. I will change the eastern coastline.

Are there any other changes I should make while I'm at it?

-Havard
So Super cool Havard!

I second that Maus should not be landlocked, but I think putting it at the head of channel would be sufficient - perhaps the channel coming in from "the shoals"

I think the various "forts" should probably not be on the map. I'd guess that either most of those didn't exist at the time or were insignificant, and their inclusion on the map makes the west/northwest seem much more populous than other areas of BM.

One city that could stand to be added is Lyntok on the Root river. Here is my crude version used IMC.

[Image: 98ff69cf-76d5-442a-acd4-3a764e0ad746_zpsd12efffc.png]

The only significant difference is the location of the DOP and especially Starport. Because on the GK map the mountains (superstitions) end further south than on the DA maps.

I wish I could work up a nice map like yours but I have no idea how you do that, at least not with the paint progs I have.
Aldarron Wrote:So Super cool Havard!

Thanks! Smile

Quote:I second that Maus should not be landlocked, but I think putting it at the head of channel would be sufficient - perhaps the channel coming in from "the shoals"

Yeah, what I did in this version was to assume that the Shoals had dried up as well, but I think I wll go back and change that. This would mean Maus would once again have access to the North Sea.

Quote:I think the various "forts" should probably not be on the map. I'd guess that either most of those didn't exist at the time or were insignificant, and their inclusion on the map makes the west/northwest seem much more populous than other areas of BM.

One city that could stand to be added is Lyntok on the Root river.

Good point about Lyntok. That needs to be added back.
You are probably right about the Forts. I found a date for the creation of Starmorgan so this map is designed to be set just after the founding of that city.

Quote: Here is my crude version used IMC.

The only significant difference is the location of the DOP and especially Starport. Because on the GK map the mountains (superstitions) end further south than on the DA maps.

Thanks for sharing this!
I plan on making a separate map for the Mage Wars and other Pre-Coot Eras, but first I need to get the coaslines and other such features right. Your map will be very helpful in this work.

Your shifting the Superstitions is an interesting effect of using the Great Kingdom map. I will probably stay more true to the DA modules and ZGG material, but the GK map will be given some nods at least.

Quote:I wish I could work up a nice map like yours but I have no idea how you do that, at least not with the paint progs I have.

Thanks again! I use Photoshop for these maps, although GIMP is a free program that should be able to accomplish many of the same effects.

-Havard
I don't have much to contribute other than to say: that is one darned cool map and I wish I could make some like it. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:I don't have much to contribute other than to say: that is one darned cool map and I wish I could make some like it. 8)
exactly
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Thank you so much guys! Smile
I should teally get back to this. I mainly use Photoshop for my msps with layers and various effects added. I find that maps ate a good eay to explore the history of the setting too.

I think many of the suggestions in this thread make alot of sense. Especially regarding Maus.

-Havard