Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Conflict Lines
Yeah, since DoCBM seems a rather corny acronym, you might notice that I usually use CBM. - *Bilbo Baggins voice:* Good Morning! (8 AM on a Saturday, why the HELL am I awake. Sad Sad Sad )
Okay thanks. Acronyms can be confusing at times.

The Wizards Cabal book is not my favorite of the ZGG line, but it does have some cool material in it. Looking back at it now, I think that one missed opportunity with this book was to connect the Cabal more with Ancients Technology.

Looking at the Pre D20 Blackmoor material, four out of six of Arneson's modules featured sci fi technology (Supp II, FFC, DA2 and DA3).

Now I could see ZGG not wanting to go all "laster pistols for everybody" on Blackmoor. As I have mentioned on many occasions, Science Fantasy always risks ending up majorly cheesy. OTOH, most technological artifacts do not have to resemble anything we would recognize today. What if the Wizards Cabal had found ways to turn such random artifacts into power sources similar to crystals?

If Blackmoor is established as a land where random tech gadgets are scattered pretty much everywhere, seeking out such lesser items could become adventure goals not just linked to the Valley of the Ancients. We also know(?) that the Egg of Coot and the Iron Duke (Thonia) are also interested in tech, so we have a couple of conflict lines right there.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Okay thanks. Acronyms can be confusing at times.

The Wizards Cabal book is not my favorite of the ZGG line, but it does have some cool material in it. Looking back at it now, I think that one missed opportunity with this book was to connect the Cabal more with Ancients Technology.

Looking at the Pre D20 Blackmoor material, four out of six of Arneson's modules featured sci fi technology (Supp II, FFC, DA2 and DA3).

Now I could see ZGG not wanting to go all "laster pistols for everybody" on Blackmoor. As I have mentioned on many occasions, Science Fantasy always risks ending up majorly cheesy. OTOH, most technological artifacts do not have to resemble anything we would recognize today. What if the Wizards Cabal had found ways to turn such random artifacts into power sources similar to crystals?

If Blackmoor is established as a land where random tech gadgets are scattered pretty much everywhere, seeking out such lesser items could become adventure goals not just linked to the Valley of the Ancients. We also know(?) that the Egg of Coot and the Iron Duke (Thonia) are also interested in tech, so we have a couple of conflict lines right there.

-Havard
This would be a great way to integrate some of the "Sheen" material from Dragon Magazines 258 and 270 :twisted:

I've seen some of the Sheens updated to 3.x rules, but don't know if the spells/tech have been converted. Mech Hunter prestige class, anyone?
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog