Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Names of the Thonian Emperors
Hey guys,

Back on the writing desk, again. - Short question only, because I don't have my books here:

Do we have any specific names and dates of the Thonian Emperors, or, really, any other info than that one name, Iyx?

(And I don't even remember if that one is a name from canon, or from canon.)

Take care,

R
Hi there!

Two Emperors are mentioned in the D20 Blackmoor Sourcebook:

King Robert I (presumably later Emperor Robert I. King Robert was first mentioned in the FFC)
Iyx I (also mentioned in DA1).

DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor also gives a list of Emperors of Thonia centuries after the Classic Blackmoor Era:

1900 UC Emperor Korin II begins his reign of Thonia.
1912 UC Emperor Nial III begins his reign.
1920 UC Emperor Ruxpin I, "the Teddybear*”, begins his reign.
1923 UC Emperor Oser I begins his reign.
1946 UC Emperor Bodmin I begins his reign.
1960 UC Emperor Halkad IV begins his reign.
1970 UC Emperor Ning I begins his reign.
1986 UC Emperor Melnik III begins his reign.
1995 UC Emperor Reger I begins his reign.

The above was taken from my friend Cthulhudrew's website but is based on information from DA1.
* "The Teddybear" monicker for Emperor Ruxpin is Cthulhudrew's addition. Smile

Now, depending on your purposes, these Emperors may be of little interest to you. However, since there was an Emperor Halkad IV, I assume there would have been three Emperors with a similar name earlier in Thonia's history etc. This could give you an idea of names of previous Emperors.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Ah, thanks, man! That's exactly what I was looking for!

IMC, I have the names of the emperors as their last names only, though, which makes it easier to go my own route. (As in, what I did with Sumerset.)

So, it would really be the noble houses Korin, Nial, Halkad, and Melnik. Who knows, even if the names - implying sort of a millenial tradition - were not yet around during Uther's time, maybe the noble houses were already? Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Ah, thanks, man! That's exactly what I was looking for!

IMC, I have the names of the emperors as their last names only, though, which makes it easier to go my own route. (As in, what I did with Sumerset.)

So, it would really be the noble houses Korin, Nial, Halkad, and Melnik. Who knows, even if the names - implying sort of a millenial tradition - were not yet around during Uther's time, maybe the noble houses were already? Smile

I always assumed they were first names as Royals usually do not use last names. If you are interested in names for Thonian Noble Houses, I introduced several new Noble Houses for Thonia in my Eastern Marshes Sourcebook.

Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Do we have any specific names and dates of the Thonian Emperors, or, really, any other info than that one name, Iyx?

I just realized you were asking not much for names, but also other info. DA1 has quite a bit of detail on Iyx. How and when he ascended to the throne, his ambitions etc.

-Havard
Thanks, man. Little secret, it's for a certain piece concerning your Vales campaign. :wink:

I am mostly interested in what we know about FFC-era emperors, consequently, but I am equally prone to making stuff up... Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Thanks, man. Little secret, it's for a certain piece concerning your Vales campaign. :wink:

I am mostly interested in what we know about FFC-era emperors, consequently, but I am equally prone to making stuff up... Smile

Ah cool!

From my own personal Thonia Timeline:
Thonian Timeline Wrote:997 Thonian Forces support Blackmoor against the Egg of Coot (source: DAB)
1000 Child Emperor Iyx I ascends to the Throne in Thonia (source: DAB)
1008 Thonia refuses to back Blackmoor and Ten against the Afridhi (source: DAB)
1015 Blackmoor breaks away from Thonia. Thonian invasion repelled (source: DAB)

The FFC covers the years 995-1000. So whoever was emperor back then was possibly the father of Iyx. My impression is that the Empire is much more a positive force during this period. Based on various discussions with Aldarron I sort of like the idea of having the Emperor at the time be named Robert, after the original Robert of Genova. (add a number, like X behind his name).

-Havard
Havard Wrote:The FFC covers the years 995-1000. So whoever was emperor back then was possibly the father of Iyx. My impression is that the Empire is much more a positive force during this period. Based on various discussions with Aldarron I sort of like the idea of having the Emperor at the time be named Robert, after the original Robert of Genova. (add a number, like X behind his name).

Bingo. That's what I am after.

I am not all too happy with the name Robert, though, because I use it as the name of the king during the Age of Theodore already.

So, do we have other choices? Smile Many Roberts there, and always in the nick of time. Smile
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:
Havard Wrote:The FFC covers the years 995-1000. So whoever was emperor back then was possibly the father of Iyx. My impression is that the Empire is much more a positive force during this period. Based on various discussions with Aldarron I sort of like the idea of having the Emperor at the time be named Robert, after the original Robert of Genova. (add a number, like X behind his name).

Bingo. That's what I am after.

I am not all too happy with the name Robert, though, because I use it as the name of the king during the Age of Theodore already.

So, do we have other choices? Smile Many Roberts there, and always in the nick of time. Smile

Although perhaps not so subtle, how about David?

Dave Arneson controlled the Great Kingdom during the Coot Invasions according to Greg.

Actually, although I havent gotten around to it, I wanted to model a series of events concerning the Crown of the Great Kingdom after disputes within the Castles & Crusades Society.

Originally, Robert Kuntz was listed as "King" of the Society. Then in Domesday Book #10. Gygax (Walworth) is mentioned as King and there is no mention of Kuntz at all. In #11 Kuntz is King again with Arneson as Steward. From #13 King & Steward are Kuntz and Arneson, but Gary is mentioned as founder.

Could be fun to turn this into a series of royal succession conflicts in the decades before Iyx is placed on the throne. It is of course interesting to see the House Walworth actually attempting to claim power for a while and then becoming shunned until it gradually regains some respect.

BTW: What is Kuntz middle name?

-Havard
Yeah, what Havard said. That DA1 list is intriguing in that if it was in Daves' original material, before the whole time travel angle was created by TSR, then those emporers would all be from before Uthers time.

IMC. set in 867, I have the emporer as Halkad II, in his 6th year.

You could go with a play on Arnesons name. (like Nosenrald).
Rafael Wrote:I am not all too happy with the name Robert, though, because I use it as the name of the king during the Age of Theodore already.

Hello there, two-year-old post. Here's a belated suggestion: change the name of King Robert I to King Robilar I. Or some other permutation, like King Tzunk I, or King Ralibor I.

Another belated suggestion: steal names from Taras Guarhoth's list of Aerdi princes and overkings to flesh out the list of Thonian emperors.

A note, though: while there is seldom more a single Thonian emperor at any time, technically the senate can select anywhere between one and six Imperials at any time, though usually there are not more than two. But it's fair to say that there were multiple Imperials simultaneously at various times in Thonia's history, though they all came from six noble houses.