Poll: Which Era of Blackmoor do you find most interesting?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Year 995-1000 (First Fantasy Campaign)
6 20.00%
Year 1025 (DA Modules)
8 26.67%
Year 1030 (ZGG Books)
4 13.33%
Historical Era (Mage Wars, Age of Giants etc)
2 6.67%
Beastman Wars (Fan Created)
2 6.67%
Last Days of Blackmoor (Fan Created)
5 16.67%
Other (Specify)
3 10.00%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Which Era of Blackmoor do you find most interesting?
I picked other; 'none of the above', really, as we never played in any of these periods / eras. In our time in Blackmoor, I think we may have been in a period that predates all of these periods.

Gertie was alive and well, Sir Fang was a menace along with Fred's Orcs, and it was - from what I can tell from all of the published materials after FCC, a very different place.

Oh, and the elves had 'magic bang sticks' at the time...

- chirine
chirine ba kal Wrote:I picked other; 'none of the above', really, as we never played in any of these periods / eras. In our time in Blackmoor, I think we may have been in a period that predates all of these periods.

Gertie was alive and well, Sir Fang was a menace along with Fred's Orcs, and it was - from what I can tell from all of the published materials after FCC, a very different place.

Oh, and the elves had 'magic bang sticks' at the time...

Hi Chirine, I think that should correspond to the first category (or around there). Smile

I think that pretty much all of us here at the Comeback Inn love hearing stories about the early years of Arneson's campaign. I love the detail about the elven bang sticks. I wonder where they got those from? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Hi Chirine, I think that should correspond to the first category (or around there). Smile

I think that pretty much all of us here at the Comeback Inn love hearing stories about the early years of Arneson's campaign. I love the detail about the elven bang sticks. I wonder where they got those from? Smile

-Havard

From the guys in the First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, Dave's American Civil War re-enactment group, I would assume. (Blackmoor is prone to outbreaks of Nexus Points.) I got two .44 Colts for the wife - she's a very handy shot, and being a telepath very rarely misses - and a dozen three-band Enfields for the lads in my household guards. (They said that the things make lousy spears; the snap-on blades are pretty poor quality.) Plenty of the little lead slinger pellets and the 'foof stuff' you pour down the tube, too.

Lots of fun for the kids, though; heaps of noise and smoke. Phil was perturbed; he hated the things and said they got his world-setting smudged. Smile

I don't know if this was in the 'early days' of Blackmoor as a campaign; Dave gamed with us out at Phil's starting in the very early 1980s, and I had the very distinct feeling that we were in a very original conception of his of what he wanted his campaign to be like - at least, what we were in was his 'home campaign', and not in one of the various 'Official' published settings. There were a few differences between what he was running and the material in First Fantasy Campaign, for example; I'd gotten the latter to find out what we might be in for, and while it was a good 'starter's guide' to Dave's personal Blackmoor, it didn't have everything that we ran into.

- chirine
Well, my campaign is set in the second half of the Mage Wars, and has mostly taken place west of the Misauga around what will become the duchy of Ten. The various political factions come in handy as plot devices but there is still a lot of "wild west" feel to it. I like that I can draw on the sourcebooks for all kinds of color, background and geographic detail without being beholden to all the historical events and characters from later days. The future is unwritten, so to speak.
I'm going to give this a bump, because we need moar votes and discussion about this sort of thing. :evil:
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I voted FFC and DA. Those are my favorite eras.

My campaign is a little different though, basically placing DA's Blackmoor in the Blackmoor area of Gygax'z GH. I'm using my favorite parts of both gentlemen's games and mixing in a lot of my own stuff as well. Should be interesting.