Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Maps of Mystara at the time of Blackmoor
Hi, been a lurker since some times but first post here, hello to all! Smile
That's a merging of two post already appeared on the Piazza in the Mystara and Blackmoor forums, but re-posted here because relevant and because mods Havard and RobJN gave me permission to do so!

I've creatred maps of Mystara at the time of Blackmoor. I think it could be useful to point them out to you too, assuming that several people that see this forum maybe do not see also the mystaran one.
Also when time allows, I'd like to open a discussion on people and inhabitants of Mystara at the time.
The first map is the area of New Blackmoor in 24 miles per hex, inspired by James Mishler's work (http://pandius.com/ageblack.html), aka the Known World in 3050 BC, already published in Threshold magazine issue 2:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12179
Shawn put it also on the Vaults: http://pandius.com/mnwblkmr.html
The other maps are the whole world of Mystara in 72 miles per hex, 3500 BC here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12215, also posted by Shawn in the Vault: http://pandius.com/m_ow3500.html. 3500 BC being just a convenient date to indicate all the Blackmoor era. You can see in Skothar the Blackmoor region and the Valley of the Ancients as mapped out in canon products and Havard's maps.
Less relevant but possibly of interest here too, I've also done a map of Mystara at the times of Lhomarr and Y'hog (http://www.pandius.com/lho_hist.html) i.e. in 8250 BC, or 4250 years before the beginning of the Blackmoor era: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12216, and http://pandius.com/m_ow8250.html

More on the 72 miles per hex Blackmoor map:
(I repeat the link: http://pandius.com/m_ow3500.html)
This is my interpretation of Mystara at the time of Blackmoor. I arbitrary named it 3500 BC but I suppose geographically this map could work from 4000 to 3000 BC and more, i.e. all the "Blackmoor era"
As the others, it's 200x360 hexes with each hex as 1 cm and 72 miles, but the last ten hexes north and south should be inside the Hollow World curvature or, in a correct projection, should not exist at all, while hex 70 to 90 North and South should eventually merge into one single point..
These however are impossible things as the Hollow World was canonically closed before the GroF and anyway the holes are in different places after it, and western Brun cannot become a single point as its shape should remain the same...
Solution? There is no solution, should I ever adapt this map to a sphere I will do it roughly, but for the purpose of gaming I'll use it as it is. Whatever projection and distances you wish to use however this map could be, I think, a good transposition of the Hollow world boxed set precataclismic map, as I did it by moving the modern continents, even if some clearly changed shape a bit, mostly Skothar, I suppose for seismic activity post GroF..
Looking at the lands positions in the Hollow world boxed set precataclysmic map I simply decided that the GroF DID NOT moved the axial tilt of Mystara, it "simply" slowly rotated the Brun-Davanian continental plate 45° to the south west, while the Skothar plate had several other major seismic shocks but moved "only" to the north.
The Hollow World curvature therefore existed before the GroF too, and the Sylvan Realm was inside it, hidden by the Immortals.
That's could be an incorrect solution for several reason, but it's the best I could devise. I just want to have a working map of Mystara in 3500BC, realism will have to cope with it Smile

It's similar but has some differences with Havard's world map (http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... orlds.html), mostly because I assume he used as starting point the projection of Mentzer's Master set map, while I used the actual continents, derived from the Hollow world boxed set planerary map and as they were mapped by canon and fanon sources through the years.

I did use roughly the latitudes of the Hollow World boxed set map, but I supposed that the planet was warmer in this age, with temperate forest up to the arctic and antartic circles. That's because otherwise the Savage Coast and the Lhomarr area would be too cold, and Evergrun too.

About the North Pole position there are some in the mystaran community who wish to go with the "Ethengar as the north pole" canon infos that were on the Gaz, so for them this map is useless. I don't like this idea for several reasons: because the HW set was printed after the Gaz, so I think it updated them, because even if Blackmoor would be roughly 50°N either way, Brun would be almost all in the arctic circle, therefore destroying Oltecs canon info and fan works that I have used like James Mishler's Age of Blackmoor, but mostly because I've used the HW map as canon for more than 23 years now and I'll not recant it for all the gold in the worldSmile

My north pole is however in a different position than modern times, roughly some miles to the east, same for the south pole.
That's just roughly modeled on the HW boxed set planetary map.

The Blackmoor region is quite tiny at this scale. I used as canon the DA map at 12 miles per hex (not 24 as in DA1 as that was an error later corrected in the modules), but notice that the D20 setting map, even if supposed to have a 12.5 mph scale, is smaller. In fact in the DA map the distance Blackmoor-Maus is 17 hexes i.e. 204 miles, while in the D20 map is only 11, i.e. 137.5 miles. Therefore if the DA maps are correct at 12mph, the D20 map scale should be 18,5 mph.
I prefer this solution as otherwise the area would be too small, IMO.
Sturm Wrote:Hi, been a lurker since some times but first post here, hello to all! Smile
That's a merging of two post already appeared on the Piazza in the Mystara and Blackmoor forums, but re-posted here because relevant and because mods Havard and RobJN gave me permission to do so!

Hiya Sturm! Welcome to the Comeback Inn! Smile

Quote:I've creatred maps of Mystara at the time of Blackmoor. I think it could be useful to point them out to you too, assuming that several people that see this forum maybe do not see also the mystaran one.
Also when time allows, I'd like to open a discussion on people and inhabitants of Mystara at the time.
The first map is the area of New Blackmoor in 24 miles per hex, inspired by James Mishler's work (http://pandius.com/ageblack.html), aka the Known World in 3050 BC, already published in Threshold magazine issue 2:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12179
Shawn put it also on the Vaults: http://pandius.com/mnwblkmr.html

This is a very nice map. I like the idea of a "New Blackmoor" being a colony located where The Known World is in modern Mystara. This also helps explain some inconsistencies in the source material. Looking at the map it is sometimes hard to recognize which parts are where compared to AC1000, but recognizing the features of Rockhome and Ethengar helps.

I notice Geffronel and Gennaleth already being in place at this time. What do you think of having these elves be colonists from Thonian/Blackmoor elf clans?

IIRC the Giant Kingdom on the Isle of Dawn was called Ghandar in Mishler's version. Was that changed to Ghaudar at some point, or is that a typo?

Do you have any of the Blackmoor settlements from various modules, Dragonlord novels etc on this map?

Quote:The other maps are the whole world of Mystara in 72 miles per hex, 3500 BC here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12215, also posted by Shawn in the Vault: http://pandius.com/m_ow3500.html. 3500 BC being just a convenient date to indicate all the Blackmoor era. You can see in Skothar the Blackmoor region and the Valley of the Ancients as mapped out in canon products and Havard's maps.
Less relevant but possibly of interest here too, I've also done a map of Mystara at the times of Lhomarr and Y'hog (http://www.pandius.com/lho_hist.html) i.e. in 8250 BC, or 4250 years before the beginning of the Blackmoor era: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12216, and http://pandius.com/m_ow8250.html

Interesting! Thanks for the nod about the Valley of the Ancients. I am curious about the large lake to the south of Blackmoor. Is that the southernmost lake from the HW precataclysmic map? I was working from the assumption that that lake was in fact the Black Sea of Blackmoor...

Quote:More on the 72 miles per hex Blackmoor map:
(I repeat the link: http://pandius.com/m_ow3500.html)
This is my interpretation of Mystara at the time of Blackmoor. I arbitrary named it 3500 BC but I suppose geographically this map could work from 4000 to 3000 BC and more, i.e. all the "Blackmoor era"
As the others, it's 200x360 hexes with each hex as 1 cm and 72 miles, but the last ten hexes north and south should be inside the Hollow World curvature or, in a correct projection, should not exist at all, while hex 70 to 90 North and South should eventually merge into one single point..
These however are impossible things as the Hollow World was canonically closed before the GroF and anyway the holes are in different places after it, and western Brun cannot become a single point as its shape should remain the same...

Interesting. Although weren't there other openings to the HW back then? Or am I misremembering?

Quote:Solution? There is no solution, should I ever adapt this map to a sphere I will do it roughly, but for the purpose of gaming I'll use it as it is. Whatever projection and distances you wish to use however this map could be, I think, a good transposition of the Hollow world boxed set precataclismic map, as I did it by moving the modern continents, even if some clearly changed shape a bit, mostly Skothar, I suppose for seismic activity post GroF..

I think tremedous seismic activity seems highly likely after an event like this.

Quote:Looking at the lands positions in the Hollow world boxed set precataclysmic map I simply decided that the GroF DID NOT moved the axial tilt of Mystara, it "simply" slowly rotated the Brun-Davanian continental plate 45° to the south west, while the Skothar plate had several other major seismic shocks but moved "only" to the north.
The Hollow World curvature therefore existed before the GroF too, and the Sylvan Realm was inside it, hidden by the Immortals.
That's could be an incorrect solution for several reason, but it's the best I could devise. I just want to have a working map of Mystara in 3500BC, realism will have to cope with it Smile

The results are definitely very cool. I see you have put alot of thought and work into this. Smile

Quote:It's similar but has some differences with Havard's world map (http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... orlds.html), mostly because I assume he used as starting point the projection of Mentzer's Master set map, while I used the actual continents, derived from the Hollow world boxed set planerary map and as they were mapped by canon and fanon sources through the years.

My map is actually just based on the HW Precataclysmic map. OTOH I have later made changes to Skothar to incorporate the Judges Guild's Wilderlands Setting along the southwestern part of that continent.

Quote:I did use roughly the latitudes of the Hollow World boxed set map, but I supposed that the planet was warmer in this age, with temperate forest up to the arctic and antartic circles. That's because otherwise the Savage Coast and the Lhomarr area would be too cold, and Evergrun too.

Yes, this is something that bothers me in some other fan works....

Quote:About the North Pole position there are some in the mystaran community who wish to go with the "Ethengar as the north pole" canon infos that were on the Gaz, so for them this map is useless. I don't like this idea for several reasons: because the HW set was printed after the Gaz, so I think it updated them, because even if Blackmoor would be roughly 50°N either way, Brun would be almost all in the arctic circle, therefore destroying Oltecs canon info and fan works that I have used like James Mishler's Age of Blackmoor, but mostly because I've used the HW map as canon for more than 23 years now and I'll not recant it for all the gold in the worldSmile

I don't like the idea of the North Pole being located at Ethengar either. As you point out, having almost all of Brun under the arctic circle means that tracing the history of the Known World back to the Blackmoor Era is almost pointless. Also, the idea of having Blackmoor on Skothar was introduced in the Hollow World Boxed Set. Why use that theory from the HW boxed set, while insisting on the placement of the North Pole from an older source? If you want to be consistent with Pre-HW Box material, then the North Pole could be at Ethengar, but you cannot have Blackmoor on Skothar...

Quote:My north pole is however in a different position than modern times, roughly some miles to the east, same for the south pole.
That's just roughly modeled on the HW boxed set planetary map.

The Blackmoor region is quite tiny at this scale. I used as canon the DA map at 12 miles per hex (not 24 as in DA1 as that was an error later corrected in the modules), but notice that the D20 setting map, even if supposed to have a 12.5 mph scale, is smaller. In fact in the DA map the distance Blackmoor-Maus is 17 hexes i.e. 204 miles, while in the D20 map is only 11, i.e. 137.5 miles. Therefore if the DA maps are correct at 12mph, the D20 map scale should be 18,5 mph.
I prefer this solution as otherwise the area would be too small, IMO.

Interesting comments on scale. This has always been confusing to me. I think I like your conclusions though! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Here is my map of Skothar. I have a revised version in the works, but this one covers the basics:

[Image: BlackmoorRegionalMapWL.jpg]

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Shawn put it also on the Vaults: http://pandius.com/mnwblkmr.html
This is a very nice map. I like the idea of a "New Blackmoor" being a colony located where The Known World is in modern Mystara. This also helps explain some inconsistencies in the source material. Looking at the map it is sometimes hard to recognize which parts are where compared to AC1000, but recognizing the features of Rockhome and Ethengar helps.
I notice Geffronel and Gennaleth already being in place at this time. What do you think of having these elves be colonists from Thonian/Blackmoor elf clans?
Well canon is not much clear so anything goes.. I suppose they could be either davanian or skotharian colonists.. or a mix of both. Also Ethengar probably shouldn't be already there, but I liked the idea to connect Cretia to the struggle against blackmoorians, so...
Quote:IIRC the Giant Kingdom on the Isle of Dawn was called Ghandar in Mishler's version. Was that changed to Ghaudar at some point, or is that a typo?
It's a typo, it was really "Kingdom of Gandhar", I'll correct it!
Quote:Do you have any of the Blackmoor settlements from various modules, Dragonlord novels etc on this map?
Yes they are the cities connected by the purple radiance line. The unnamed ones in the dwarven principalities would be Darmouk from the Dragonlord trilogy and the others as proposed by Chimpman in this thread at the Piazza: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... uk#p112489
Quote:Interesting! Thanks for the nod about the Valley of the Ancients. I am curious about the large lake to the south of Blackmoor. Is that the southernmost lake from the HW precataclysmic map? I was working from the assumption that that lake was in fact the Black Sea of Blackmoor...
Yes, but as there are two lakes in the map I assumed that the northernmost is the Black Sea of Blackmoor, while the southermost would be in Thonia (as I think there is an agreements that name tags Thonia and Blackmoor should be inverted in the HW precataclysmic map) and indeed I plan to place Mohacs some 300 miles east of the lake/sea.
Quote:Interesting. Although weren't there other openings to the HW back then? Or am I misremembering?
I think that canonically there weren't any. IMO that's impossibile, as in this case all western Brun and Vulcania, being inside the HW curvatures (or beyond 90N and 90S as shown in the Hw planetary map), would be non-existent at the time. I prefer to think that the opening existed but were even more magically hidden than now.. i.e. truly impassable by mortals.
Quote:The results are definitely very cool. I see you have put alot of thought and work into this. Smile
Indeed, and I had to make choice that maybe some will not like but it was necessary as there are no consistent canon answers.
Quote:My map is actually just based on the HW Precataclysmic map. OTOH I have later made changes to Skothar to incorporate the Judges Guild's Wilderlands Setting along the southwestern part of that continent.
You're right, I meant that in the HW map and your map the projection of Davania seems different, i.e. the continent seems "fatter" as in Mentzer's map. I enlarged Geoff's map of Davania because his one was even slimmer, but even so my projection is still much less large than the HW planetary map. I think however that if the shape of Davania in modern map is more or less correct (and I already enlarged it!) then in the HW map projection the size of Davania is quite exaggerated. About the Wilderlands setting I plan to use bits of it, but eliminating all the alien races it has, and I want to use the shape of Skothar similar to the HW map so I haven't included the shape of the Wilderlands map.
Quote:I don't like the idea of the North Pole being located at Ethengar either. As you point out, having almost all of Brun under the arctic circle means that tracing the history of the Known World back to the Blackmoor Era is almost pointless. Also, the idea of having Blackmoor on Skothar was introduced in the Hollow World Boxed Set. Why use that theory from the HW boxed set, while insisting on the placement of the North Pole from an older source? If you want to be consistent with Pre-HW Box material, then the North Pole could be at Ethengar, but you cannot have Blackmoor on Skothar..
I agree, also the oldest sources IIRC hinted that Blackmoor was once the Known World, then the Gaz said the Known World was the North pole, then the HW set said it wasn't. As always canon isn't consistent and BTW mapping 3500 BC Mystara in hexes with the KW as the north pole would be a nightmare Smile I think my solution saves as much canon as it's possible, because if the Known World was New Blackmoor that explains why some sages/sources think Blackmoor was there, and Jaggar for example could have found his weapon in Glantri, without the need of him travelling to Skothar..