Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
The Empire of Izmer and Mystara
(Not wanting to start another threadSmile

Havard, did you actually run the Alphatia campaign including Izmer, or are the notes at the Vaults only conceptual sketches?

I'd be interested in how this played out...

Moderator Edit: Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=863
-Havard
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:(Not wanting to start another threadSmile

Havard, did you actually run the Alphatia campaign including Izmer, or are the notes at the Vaults only conceptual sketches?

I'd be interested in how this played out...

The Alphatia Izmer Campaign was just an outline for discussion with the Mystara fan community. The main reason why I got into it was that the film producer, Courtney Solomon, stated that he used Mystara as inspiration for the film. The Empire of Mages is obviously based on Alphatia. Sadly because of the way the movie turned out, very few Mystara fans were particularly interested in the idea of having anything to do with the film itself or my ideas for it.

My thinking is that even if you hate the movie there are ideas in it that can be used and as reimagined it can work quite well with Mystara. Actually I think that if Solomon had stayed true to Alphatia as presented by Allston that alone would have been an improvement on the actual movie.

In my outline, I placed the storyline of the first D&D movie 100 years into Alphatia's past. One reason for this is that it was a period of Upheaval in the Empire. A second reason for that placement in time is that since Damodar was locked away for 100 years, he would be released shortly after AC1010 meaning that the second movie Wrath of the Dragon God could take place shortly after the events of Wrath of the Immortals, in Belissaria. Dragon God does give the impression that the whole Wizard Kingdom is gone, so that fits well with the ruins of Alphatia after WotI.

Of additional interest to Blackmoor fans, I planned to make a backstory for the Dragon God (Faluzure) going back to the Blackmoor Era, making him into one of the Blackmoor Dragons, Chamber (Neutral Evil) who was trapped in the Great Rain of Fire.

I was disappointed that there seemed to be no connection between the Third D&D movie and its predecessors. You can understand that they wanted to distance themselves from the previous ones, but OTOH I think it would have been better to use those to add depth. There are some hints in that movie that it is set in the same world as the Nentir Vale.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Nice. I would also, if at all, situate Izmer in BM's future. The setting, and the additional info, aren't that bad.
The movies were goofy, for sure, but they were in no way cornier than any made-for-TV series at the time. Smile

...And the second movie, corny, but entertaining.

I can perfectly see this playing out in a Mystara environment; shame Wizbro dropped the setting. The whole magocracy concept is growing on me. Perhaps that what Zeitgeist's Wizards cabal became...
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:...And the second movie, corny, but entertaining.

I rather thought the second movie was fairly good for a low budget movie. The problem with the first movie I guess is that they had a fairly big budget and threw most of it away on nonsense and Jeremy Irons.

Quote:I can perfectly see this playing out in a Mystara environment; shame Wizards of the Coast dropped the setting.

Fixed that for you. Smile
Mystara, like most D&D settings were actually discontinued by TSR before they were acquired by WotC. As to using Mystara for the movie, I don't think that was ever really on the table, but as it turned out I think most Mystara fans count themselves lucky that the movie is in no way associated with our beloved world.

Quote:The whole magocracy concept is growing on me. Perhaps that what Zeitgeist's Wizards cabal became...

Not as ZGG imagined it anyway. The MMRPG reveals a fairly different fate for them.

-Havard
Moved to the Mystara & Blackmoor forum. Smile

-Havard