Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Necromancer Repost] Dave Arneson passes away (April 2009)
From: http://necromancergames.yuku.com/topic/ ... way?page=1

Mithriltooth:

Sad
Saw this at a gaming news site.... He will be missed.

Dungeons & Dragons co-creator Dave Arneson passed away at the age of 61 shortly after 11:00 pm CDT on Tuesday, April 7th, just 13 months after the death of Gary Gygax. Arneson suffered a stroke in 2002, but the cause of death is not mentioned in the announcement (thanks IGN). Here's word on the arrangements:

Cards and letters can continue to be sent:
Dave Arneson
1043 Grand Avenue
Box #257
St. Paul, MN

Visitation will be on April 20th
Time: yet to be determined
Address:
Bradshaw Funeral Home
687 Snelling Avenue South
St. Paul, MN 55105

Apologies if this was already posted, I didnt take the time to look

Snoring rock:
I saw this as well; came to post it, but looks like someone beat me to it.

There is a special place in my heart for folks like Dave Arneson. I think of all the times I have cracked a book open to checks a game referrence and seen his name in print on the cover. In the past two years we have lost three of the best imaginations in the gaming. Heck, we lost those who have done the most to create "gaming".

Best wishes to his family. Dave, you will be missed; thank you for all that you have done to inspire.

JeffB:
Very sad- we have lost all three of our "giants"- Gary, Bob, and now Dave.

Here is a link to the (legally downloadable) Blackmoor supplement for OD&D. This was avalable for free via Dave's old website (which went under a month ago for financial reasons)- The underseas creatures were Steve Marsh's work, but the majority is pure Arneson and it includes the first published D&D adventure.

Supp II

Deepcut:
Very sad indeed.

RJM:
OotS did a nice tribute.

DNDChick:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0644.html

Stlander:
Another truly sad day for the D&D community, and the RPG community as a whole. This has really been a rough 13 months. First Gary, then Bob, and now Dave. It is often said that tragedies occur in threes. For our community, it can't get any worse than this. It's time to mourn, but it's also time to remember these men with great fondness for what they gave us, and to celebrate their lives. I thank you all, and salute you!

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own." - E. Gary Gygax (1938-2008)

Robert E. Bledsaw (1942-2008): Judges Guild Worldwide, Inc. founder and president.

David L. Arneson (1947-2009): Co-creator of Dungeons and Dragons.

KenMcKinney:
That is a nice tribute.

Yeah, it's really sad that we lost them all at once.

The really tragic thing is, none of them were that old. Dave Arneson was 62!

Golth the northman:
RIP.

This news only confirms that I should drop some Blackmoor adventure hooks in my Wilderlands game in/around Valon.

Orcus:
Boy, I am so sad to hear about this. What a 12-month period we've had. Bledsaw, Gygax, Arneson. Wow.

Dave, thanks to you and yours for all you have given us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090410/ap_ ... _arneson_4

Clark

Kobold Curry Chef:
Not to mention Erick Wujcik and N. Robin Crossby.

************************'

Ifuritasfan:
Good god, Dave's dead too.

Dave, you made an impact on so many people in such a short time. It's a shame that you had to leave us, we who have benefited from your genius and hard work so much over the years.

And with the passing of so many greats in the RPG community in such a short period, I can't help but keenly feel the void that your passing has left behind.

It really saddens me that the gaming community has lost yet another irreplaceable luminary.

PrismaticDM
Damn. What a rough year for losses in the gaming world. We'll miss you, Dave! As long as we keep playing games the "founding fathers'" spirits will live on.

Havard:
Well said PDM!
Rest in Peace Dave.

Serelan:
Thank you, Dave, for having a dream and living it -- I'll be playing Temple of the Frog for many a day for you.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign