Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Necromancer Repost] Valon, City of the Ice Wizards (Apr 08)
http://necromancergames.yuku.com/topic/ ... ce-Wizards

Snoring Rock:

Ok, still looking for more ideas. James Mishler and Leadjunkie have me going already. Here is what I have so far. I am using Glantri as Valon. I am using the principalities in the Glantri as the nobility spread over the lower rim of the great glacier north of Valon. I have created a map the same size as those in the Wilderlands boxed set and used the same numbered hexes. It connects on the east with Blackmoor, which I have also converted the standard 5 mile hex grids and on the south to map #2 Valon.

The features are points of light-type settlements ruled by princes from Valon, some good, some not so much. I have inter-mingled the Pathfinder adventures 3 and 4. By the way, these Pathfinders are so much worth the money, I cant even describe my sheer joy with the quality and art, the thoughtful and tastefull work, thank you Dark Mistress for turning me on to these. Most excellent!

Anyway, I have positioned the Pathfinder modules, as well as 3 short adventures free off the WoTC download site (Tower in the Ice, Frozen Whispers, An Icy Heart, and Haunting Lodge) then I got a copy of the DCC #43 Curse of the Barrens and plugged it in. I have named a few places out of each module and then tied it all together, along with a huge population of blue elves, cavemen, migrating mastodons, ice monsters, and ice wizards.

I have out done myself this time. Now I am looking for ideas for the hidden secret school of magic for the ice wizards of Valon, that is rumored to be up there somewhere. I know where, its on my map, I just want ideas for the place itself. You have all been so helpful, so I figured I would go to te experts. Ok Leadjunky....you first.

Dark Mistress:

Why not a giant ice castle. made long ago with powerful magics. while it is indeed made of ice. it never melts and the walls are harder than stone. With a curtain wall around the whole thing and a large castle/keep in the center with smaller buildings around it. The newer buildings could be more traditional built. The ice keep it's self could even have the inner walls that glow faintly on command, giving off a pale blueish white light as they do.

Also if you like the 3rd and 4th pathfinder I recomened checking out the rest. While the 6th might be of limited use since it is the grand finally of series and focuses on... well I won't say. But lets just say i am not sure it would make a great stand alone adventure. You could rework it though with a little effort and have it be stand alone. then 1st and 2nd ones are both good. the 5th one is the only one of the series I don't have yet. From what I have seen and heard their gamemaster adventures aka pathfinder adventures (as they are now called) are all mostly stand alone and of similar quality as the Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords series.

Snoring rock:

I went to FBN last Saturday during D&D day and got 20% off on both. They have the new Gamemaster Series and the other Pathfinders. I just cant say enough about the quality. if this is what Necro is turning out on their Pathfinder, then the 4E players are in for quite a treat.

I am printing your description of the Ice Castle. I am seeing this thin glowing blue in the cold darkness of the long arctic night. The out-buildings really add character to the place with an on-going feel, yet keeping with the ancient. I am seeing the ancient castle with tall "Disney" spires and some sharp icy things like in Superman's ice hide-out surrounding it and the outer buildings. Excellent ideas, and even better description.

Thank you Mistress.

What about wizards spells that can only be learned in Valon or in the hidden school? Is there anything like that in Frostburn or Frost and Fur?

Dark Mistress:

Your welcome.

I am sure their is tons of cold based spells, but I never bought many spell books. So I am not sure, i am sure they exist just not sure where you might find them.

Sykoholic:

If "G2 - Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl" doesn't find it's way in there, I will come looking for you and when I find you, it will not be pretty.

Might I also suggest "Dragons of Ice" from the classic Dragonlance series.

Varianor:

*Their spells are frozen in the ice. To learn one of the secret spells, you must freeze yourself into the ice. Only when you know the spell will they thaw you. The greatest wizards of the order are perpetually entombed inside the glacier, sending forth magical projections with the secret spells of the school.

*The doors only open once a year - at midwinter.

*The healers of the school literally put icewater in the veins of the students. It's a prerequisite to learning the secret spells.

*A tiny little path atop the glacier leads to a long, blue ice-cave, that twists and worms its way into the heart of the glacier, where an ice wall as clear as glass holds a portal within the glacier. A portal to a world of eternal ice where the wizards rule supreme once they achieve high levels of power. Acolytes, students and apprentices must find the portal, enter it, and survive a night and a day in a world of eternal dark and cold.

Now, how about a spell? (You might want to charge a feat for this.)

Ice Insight
Transmutation
Level: 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1 day/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

When you become the target of a cold-based spell, you may redirect it back at the caster. Make a caster level check opposed by the caster of the cold spell. If you succeed, the spell directs back and targets or centers upon the caster. If the DC of the saving throw would be higher (as if you cast the spell yourself), it increases to your save DC.

Snoring rock:

Holy Cow Syk, I have already put G2 in the summit of a mountain in map #1, Elpahand Lands. I would never tempt the Gods by leaving that classic out. I will get Dragons of Ice for sure dude.
Valianor......this is fantastic stuff, its not copy righted is it?

varianor:
All yours my friend. Just wrote it.

Sykoholic:

Snoring Rock wrote:
Quote:I have already put G2 in the summit of a mountain in map #1, Elpahand Lands.
My masters are pleased and have bid me grant you a stay of execution. Use it wisely.

All joking aside, I seem to recall Fiery Dragon had a couple of "artic" adventures. I can't saying whether or not they were any good though. I can't even recall the titles right off hand.

Troll Lords' "Treklant" adventure series might fit as well. There's also the Greyhawk adventure "Howl from the North" and the Forgotten Realms adventure "The Accursed Tower".

Treebore:

I don't think it was Fiery Dragon. It could have been, but I think it may have actually been MonkeyGod your thinking of.

Dark Mistress:

MonkeyGod made Frost and Fur and arctic book. it if I recall dealt with the hazards, cultures, ect of such a enviroment. As for the adventure i think your thinking of Natures Fury by Fiery Dragon a book with 2 arctic adventures in it. One was with a ice keep and forget the other one off hand.

Sykoholic:

I just looked. It was Fiery Dragon. The book is called "Nature's Fury" and contains two adventures, "Swords through the Ice Gate" by Mike Mearls and "The Crystal Tower" by James Bell.

MonkeyGod made some good stuff too, though I'm not sure if any of it was "artic". Maybe "Maze of Scream Silence" but I'm not 100% positive.

Deepcut:

I think that you should rent the A Year Without Santa Claus and study in depth the Freeze Meister. He is quite diabolical.

I'm Mister White Christmas
I'm Mister Snow
I'm Mister Icicle
I'm Mister Ten Below

Friends call me Snow Miser
What-ever I touch
Turns to snow in my clutch
I'm too much!

Snoring Rock:

Actually Syk I placed G1-3 in the Elphandlands right away, when I got the Wilderlands Boxed Set. I debated taking G2 out and placing it in the Great Glacier, but that region in the Elphan territories makes too much good sense. It is just infested with giants. I had thought of inserting Pathfinder Fortress of the Stone Giants there as well, but after taking a close look, I decided to use it as a lead into the colder regions. I am so glad to hear someone that likes those giant modules as much as I do. They are some of the all time best ever. They make it into every campaign I run. I am checking out these other suggestion of yours too. We seem to like the same stuff, so I trust your judgement for sure.

Whats your feeling on the D-series? I was not impressed so much. And Q1 kind of left me wanting. I have run the two series separately over the years. I have the re-wrtie of the Shrine of the Kuotoa and I like the island setting much better.

Varianor, I have infused your ice-blood transfusions and frozen wizards in the blue cave with Dark Mistress' ice castle. The creativity is just fantastic. Thanks again.

Deepcut, I cannot thank you enough for your brilliant comic relief. Ok, now I am wondering how you can remember those lyrics. :lol:

Seppuku Squirrels:

Ice Spells.... Ice Spells... wasn't there a spell like Ice Sled designed for snow region travel in that book Eldritch Sorcery? Why yes, there is. I'm sure your campaign will be the first to use it.

Sykoholic:
Have you checked out the Silver Anniversary version? All three complied along with the surrounding countryside that the giants and their allies have invaded, including several villages and a number of giant forts and outposts, as well as an "alternate ending" that involves cloud giants rather than dark elves.

Snoring rock:

No, I have not seen the silver aniversary edition. I figured it was just a compilation. I like the idea of the alternate ending. That fits my campaign much better. I went to WoTC site and I have the really cool, re-drawn color maps. They came out really nice. I am guessing that in order to get this alternate ending that I will have to search the farthest reaches on the known world to find a copy. I am sure it is a collector's dream to have. I know its not on pdf anywhere I have seen. Got any ideas where to look first?

There is a JG cloud giant adventure out there somwewhere too. That is probably on $2 pdf version. I have been toying with the idea of adding aerial adventures to my Wilderlands, through some kind of Avalonian/Valon/Ice Wizard connection. That old JG module seems like it could fit in there possibly or even this silver edition G-series.

varianor:
You're welcome! You will let us know how this goes, right? Right? This is all damn cool imagery.

Continued in next post:
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Snoring rock:

Oh, definitely Valianor! I will give the weekly update as soon as the PC's move into the area. I will keep youguys up on the building of this thing too. It is excellent imagery....yes.

Deepcut:

Snore,

I would like to claim perfect recall of all holiday special music. However, I have to go with the assist from Google.

Now, remember that just because those were funny, they can be worked into an adventure in clever inside joke ways. If the PCs figure it out, then all the better. If not, then you can have an I Gotcha moment afterwards.

:-)

Snoring rock:
Oh technology. Back when I started playing D&D I though guys who were in computer lab.....were geeks. image
I like editing them (some are locked and you cant) and then printing them (I get free printing) and then I have them spiral bound $2.48 at Office Depot. The downloaded pdf for Tegel not only will not edit, but will not scan well. I tried it and then OCR'd it......not so much. So we need Orcus to help us out here....hint, hint.

Leadjunkie:
Yeah, all the old JG material in PDF format is images and not OCR. They are pretty useless for editing.

Snoring Rock:
Heres what I do, I have Ultimate NPC in pdf form. I pick what I want to use along with some on-line NPC generators to fill in and upgrade the NPC's and then build some of my own. I then number them along with the monsters and add them as an appendix at the end. I then number the corresponding encounters and its an upgrade. Then I do the same for traps, DC's and the like. The treasure I keep the same and match up magic items the best I can. I have done a lot this way.....but Tegel.....out of my league.

Q1000:
You need tunes

http://www.noxarcana.com/wintersknight.html

For your winter campaign, I love these guys, have all there CD's. Great music for the game.

WereSteve:
If you don't mind the expense, pick up a copy of OmniPage 16 at your local Office Max ... it will allow you to load in a copy of your favorite Judges Guild PDF file, OCR it, and write out a copy in your favorite word processor format. After that, edit to your own tastes ...

Sykoholic:

Sounds like my kind of toy. How expensive are we talking here?

Sparky 90:
I looked earlier ... Here in the UK it's £80. - Omnipage

Snoring Rock:
Sykoholic wrote:
Quote:I swap out all the stats and replace them with a whole different game system.

I'm in the process of doing this with Shackled City and Red Hand of Doom... though I'm going to have to trascribe "Drakthar's Way". I've already done it to the first four adventures in "Rise of the Runelords". I haven't gotten the first part of "Curse of the Crimson Throne" but it's on my list.

I haven't quite worked up the ambition to tear into "Lost City of Barakus" or "Rapan Athuk Reloaded" but they are sitting in my "To Do" folder along with "Caverns of Thracia" and "Grey Citadel".
Yeah Syk, I have Lost City of Barakus, Rapan Athuk, and Caverns of Thracia. I just started on Rise of the Runelords, and I love them. You have your own system right? Isnt is a conglomeration of systems? Am I right that 3.5 is closest, or is 1E closer? Which one takes the least amount of work?

What do you think of Grey Citadel? I have given thought to picking it up. Is it more of a citadel or a city?

Sykoholic:
3.5 or 1E? Neither actually. My homebrew is more WoD-Mortals adapted to a fantasy setting, with Shadowrun 2E's character generation system.

Grey Citadel kicks major patootey. I highly recommend adding it to your library. Don't let the name fool you. It's a city.

Snoring Rock:
Cool, I am looking for a city, but I need something perhaps exotic. Something between Al-Quadim (Hazuz) and Arthurian (Blackmoor) in culture and feel. Whats the population?

Sparky 90:
GC is indeed a wonderful adventure and my players certainly enjoyed it. The city of Dun Eamon isn't really that exotic - it's a walled city on an island in a river with large waterfalls both above and below it and is constantly covered in mist from the waterfalls. It's located high in temperate mountains and has a population of 5722 79% human with the rest mostly made up of dwaves, gnomes and half-elves. It's on the only fording point on the river and so all trade has to pass through the city.

Snoring Rock:
Is it an independent city state of does it pay tribute to a larger state or empire? I am organizing Karak using Al-Qadim as the capitol. I amlooking for other large cities to pay tribute to the vasal. I am hoping to mix it up a bit.

Sparky 90:
It's an independent city state run by 3 brothers and is well organized with a city guard/watch and trade guilds. The adventure depends of the city being most good. The rulers are LG. The adventure also depends on running water - lots of it, and although you could reset Dun Eamon in, say, a jungle location it would be a major rewrite to put it in a desert location. It's also in the middle of nowhere, gaining it's income from being on the only trade route and the support of wilderness trappers and hunters.

******************************'

Snoring rock:
Actually, that lends itself well to what I have. All the major cities are on rivers and/or near a coast. The climate ranges from desert to high mountains to lush oasis. I am thinking of putting this up in the north in the mountains, on one of the rivers. Will this setting lend itsefl to that you think? I have heard good things but have not taken a closer look yet.

Dark mistress:

GC is a nice one. I think it would fit fairly well. It is set in the mountains with a river that forks and runs on each side leaving the small city and castle in the middle. Right there the rivers also drop off into a waterfall to down below. Which is why there is a mist watch(the name of the guards) because of the water fall causing mist. It is a interesting and well done city. Plus the adventure is well done in it, it is why it is one of my top 3e products in my mind.

Also if your looking for a larger city you could check out Korvosa, of the cities in the Pathfinder world. It comes up in the 2nd series and I believe some if the 1st series.

WereSteve:
Good to hear tho' there is one minor thing of note ... OmniPage works great for most things unless you happen to get a password protected or encrypted pdf file at which time it balks. Fortunately there are little software tools to get around this problem too as I just finished "unlocking" a group of older White Dwarf magazines so I could collect some of the early reviews of original Judges Guild mateiral for my collection. Also doesn't hurt to have another source for 1e mosters, magic items, and treasure for old time's sake ... before White Dwarf went all Warhammer of course.

Snoring Rock:
Dark Mistress, I just had an idea....yes, pretty good for a man huh? Anyway, I am using another city for Tarsh right now. I cant think of the name off hand, but it is a bit over-sized for that application. I am wondering, maybe I should use Grey Citadel for Tarsh instead. Leadjunkie, if you are reading this, whats your take?

Leadjunkie:
I have GC, but have not read it, so feel unqualified to make a judgement. I have read every post in the topic and it seems like it it would be a great setting. Certainly the author, MacPhail, of these boards, is very supportive of his product. I'm sure he would opine if he has any familiarity with the Wilderlands.

I was actually holding out for a JG module, Kelandor's Gold, that was slated for a 3.5 update through Eostros/Goodman. Although the mod was not written explicitly as being Tarsh, apparently Bob encouraged a rewrite to be used for Tarsh. Since Goodman is done with 3.5, sadly my hope is unlikely to be realized. Perhaps Eostros can work something out with James Mischler of AGP or go out on their own in support of Pathfinder.

Snoring rock:
I have gone through it, but I will stay with what i already have for Tarsh. Grey Citadel is much too small of a population. I think I am using it as a city in my northern Karak map. It has a pretty cool adventure drawn up in it. I really like the location.

Leadjunkie:
I have placed my tardy compare and contrast in this thread:

http://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/view...=26&t=7973' Wrote:Frostburn vs. Frost & Fur - environment books for a Valon campaign

Got to give the less frequented Wilderlands threads some love. image

Snoring rock:
Dag-nabbit....perhaps I should write it up and submit it. Maybe not, the publishers will want it in 4E. I could make it as a comedian...no?

Plaag:
I'd almost say Glantri.
Picture and description in the WoHF box set make me think of that Known World location.

ShaneG.

mtbdm:
I think Glantri would be spot on for the feel. But you might want to use one of the Northern port cities of the Forgotten Realms (Northern Sword Coast or Moonsea) for the map. And of course you'd want to find an exceptionally cool wizards' college (or colleges) to drop into it--something about as far from Harry Potter as possible.

Snoring Rock:
I have completed a connecting map north of Valon map #2. I used the original information from Bob Bledsaw's version with the "V" shaped glacier stretching far to the north. I used the exact scale as the original maps and numbered the hexes. I am quite proud of my creation. The map is exactly the same size as those in the boxed set. Before I worked as the director, I was a draftman and I have access to AutoCADD. I have created blank map grids in size C sheets (22x17) and I print them off on the plotter.

I used Glantri as suggested by Leadjunky, as my base building block for Valon. The noble houses were used to populate the areas where villages do exist just south of the glacier. As for the school of magic, you gave me all kinds of excellent ideas. I have settled on the ice castle, added the Disney castle look to it, but I have not yet detailed it. These are good wizards so I want it well protected, but not ominous. I think silver dragons, polar bears, and some kind of celestial good critters will do well as guardians. I am placing the ice elves near by as allies, but no detail yet. I now have Frost & Fur and Frostburn. Both great resources!

The Glantri nobles gave me all kinds of ideas. I have cultures on the east side as Inuett and Eskimo because that connects to the Peshwa lands of Blackmoor. They are markedly American Indian in nature, so it works well. The western edge is Slavik. I am using all the Pathfinder goodness you turned me on to for the habitable portions. I injected a great deal of that map from that world on to my map where it made sense. I am really pumped about the Pathfinder Stone Giant adventure. That just fit so well, it was like designed for my campaign.

What do you think? What am I missing?

Dark Mistress:
hmm a ominous dark threat looming off in the distance? Don't know really depends on what you looking to do. You could be done, I was just curious.

Snoring rock:
Not so fast, I was thinking long tracts of ice, cold, bitter elements.... but now you have my attention. You have an idea dont you? A dark evel looming in the distance, something lurking on the fringes of the known world, a mance like none other. Right? Tell me your idea.

Dark Mistress:

Not really a idea, but perhaps it turns out the world wasn't always so cold and each year it seems to get a bit colder and it seems to be picking up the pace. Perhaps the ice Queen and her empire is trying to bring on a frozen world to rule over. I don't know I didn't really have a idea, I just asked cause most games often have that obvious or hidden looming threat for the players to eventually deal with.

********************'

Snoring rock:
Yes, there is always that hidden looming threat that they must deal with. The hidden threat in my campaign comes from several directions. One of them could grow to be the all encompassing powerful climax to the string of adventures. I like to set up all of the places, people and reasons and then let the players drift through it, be a part of it, affect it. Sometimes the bad guy turns out to be the good guy. My great evil of the world, and looming darkness is located to the south. The last great hope, I am thinking of hiding in the ice. But an Ice Queen is sounding good. Most of my villains are male.....imagine that. I like your idea of an evil nemisis that is female. Not an ugly old dragon, but a beautiful, alluring, powerfull wizardess with all manner of demons at her command. I like it already.

Dark Mistress:
It is best if they are charming and while "evil" are not evil for the sake of evil. But more, i am going to make the world a better place and cleans the taint from the world. While good intentions and all that, well you know how the saying goes.

Snoring rock:
Mistress, if I did not know better, and half the time I dont, I would say you have feelings like these. Deep down inside you want to be the Ice Witch; all cold and stern, wanting better order through out the world, using an iron (frosted) fist. But deep down inside, even past the succubus interior, there is a warm heart. Do you write? You have some really excellent ideas. I suppose this is why you DM.....duh. Go get the shovel.

Dark Mistress:
I am sure if I had the power to cleans the world i would wipe out no more than 90 or 95% of the people tops... most likely.

I use to write but i SUCK at beginnings and ends. I have trouble starting things and I am god awful and finding a end to them. The middle stuff I am pretty good about. The biggest things I get compliments on when I GM is, indepth layered stories and believable and interesting NPC's. In fact to this day one of the Sabbat Vampire NPC's i created gets talked about more than anyone's PC they had. I have no clue why everyone loved the NPC so much.

Snoring rock:
Thats pretty awsome. I excell at the places and things and hidden story content category. They love following the clues and then later finding they were on the wrong trail the whole time, but that the real evil lurks elsewhere, even among them. I am better at endings.

Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign