Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Jungle Realm of Tangor-What is known of it?
Freedom92 Wrote:I'm making the Bolgor and Tangor two different cultures and the reason we dont see Bolgor in the Hollow World is because much like Thonia and Blackmoor they changed to fast for the 'Gods' to hide them away so the tangor remain the sole remains. Possibly even a tie in with te desert culture trade wise. I've wanted to introduce other human cultures and lands so I'm not sure just yet.

This makes sense to me. BTW, in DA1 they are called Bolgers not Bolgor. I like the idea of dividing these into separate cultural groups though. Having the Desert Folk (Salikar, or Mirakosians could be possible names for them) also have a presence in the Desert Realm also makes alot of sense. The Mirakosians are sea going folks and may easily have a presence on the eastern coast of the Jungle Realm. Perhaps even operating as slavers etc.

Quote:The simians are nomadic by nature like gorrillas but when conflict arises big battles between two can arise. I think they'll be like real gorrillas and they will clash when two family groups try to occupy the same space. I wanted to do some more work on them at some point culture wise, etc. I had three tribes in mind, the Ghost Tribe of white apes that wander the high peaks of mountains and have magical powers not seen in regular simians, the Green Back Tribe that are veredent lovers of nature and often cover themselves in makeshift clothing made of plants, and the Crimson Pelt Tribe who are worshippers of a demon lord and are the only tribe known to use metal weapons and claim it is a gift from their lord.

This is fascinating! Again, I like the different tribes. The Ghost Tribe is my favorite so far, and of course the Crimson Pelt Tribe as a good villain group. Could we perhaps suggest one of the existing Blackmoor Gods as their deity? Volketh, Thanatos or Hel could be possible candidates?

Quote:I originally thought of Carnifex as the masters of the lizardfolk or someone who would be a top lizard. I've also thought about adding dinosaurs in the area to reflect it, the lizardfolk would bond with dinosaurs as their devotion to each other goes generations back to the time when they were forced into the region and mutated and morphed into new shapes and forms. I planned on having several dinosaur related lizardfolk and even more mixed of things lurking in ruins across the jungle. Also might work in some of the Sleeping Ones and Outer Beings into the area. I've had a few Sleeping Ones and Outer Beings written up for my games before, need to update them.

I'm sold on this. Smile Might be worth rereading James Mishler's history to get a good overview of the hierarchy from Outer Beings to Carnifex to Serpentines/Lizardfolk. Sleeping Ones probably are close to the Carnifex on the hierarchy level.

Quote:Because I'm all about old religions and myths I looked into different stories here and there. Africa has several myths involving talking animals though who doesnt? Also I have several theories for awakened animals depending on setting and one other ideas can be explained if wanted. I've had a player want to play a awakened animal before and my Blackmoor(PF) game coming up will allow hi to do so.

Great ideas. When you say Africa, many people are probably going to think of lions and elephants, so these awakened animals would allow a fantasy approach to that imagery. Do you see entire tribes of awakened animals, or are they just individual, unique creatures who interract with various other races?

Quote:I got ideas for the temple by reading over wilderlands and some other stuff and I just picked up a copy of ERB Pellucidar from the year 1972 so got to get reading that for ideas as well.

I like it! Smile

Quote:Since this was written for my pathfinder conversions I used the Oracle as the class. A person blessed and cursed by the gods to do their will even if they dont know what it is. If I were to use a 3.5 comparison I'd say Elderkin or Idolator would make good comparisons. Also the Wendo are the named spirits who give them power, they may have effigies of them carried by the faithful. Those seen with the pirate crews often are dedicated to darker Wendo who like to cause chaos and physical experiences.

Perhaps we could do a quick conversion guide between PF, 3E and Classic D&D? This whole mythology of the Wendo is something I will definitely borrow. And pirates! Smile

Keep those ideas coming! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
You guys might want to check Charles Saunders; he writes fantasy novels in pre-colonist Africa.

Bad prose, but some of the most unconventional settings I have ever seen.

Inspired great part of Mordred, to say the least. Smile
Thanks Harvard I have a lot more ideas in mind for the Jungle Realm as well as the Desert Realm and thanks for pointing the name out. I started a small gazateer style thing the other day for the desert realm and it includes at least one or two ports and one of which is a slave market so thats for the suggestions Harvard!

Also thought of something new.
Frogfolk, these small humanoid frogs are old and are found inhabiting the deepest swamps where they squat in old temples to their former masters. They see the lizardfolk as traitors to their cause and often send plagues and disease to these all ready weakened people. They hail to the gods of their masters. They are not to be dealt with as their word is as toxic as their skin so beware of these creatures, it is unknown if there are related to the Temple of the Frog but we are not willing to ask.

My plans were to uses the Crimson Pelt Tribe as the replacement for Orcs and their demon lord isnt known besides the name of the Butcher of Men, was thinking Demogorgon with two minor gods being Hel and Thanatos.

Also will go do that, love the idea of Carnifex and Outer Beings. Sleeping Ones as well I've placed one in the Great Glacier and one bound to a magma tube beneath the sea causing weird tainted zones and mutations in aquatic creatures and even merfolks who look palid and craked skin wise. So many ideas so little time.

I always found it funyy when people think of Africa its all plains and grassland when yes thats a majority of the region there is still veredant patches. Some animals when they discover their intellegence will try to find others like them. A awakened monkey will look to find a awakened monkey for companionsip or try to teach its companions to get greatter intellegence. They can be a rare encounter in solitude or may find a small family group of awaken animals keeping each other safe.

I've been thinking of doing that but I have no idea about the classic dnd part. I think cleric with a list of Wendo giving diety benefits might do well with a custom spell list if not make it a alternate class feature with weapon limitations tossed aside to allow blades. They would more or less be witch doctors.
Freedom92 Wrote:Thanks Harvard I have a lot more ideas in mind for the Jungle Realm as well as the Desert Realm and thanks for pointing the name out. I started a small gazateer style thing the other day for the desert realm and it includes at least one or two ports and one of which is a slave market so thats for the suggestions Harvard!

No problem! A separate Desert Realm outside the Empire? I like it! Looking forward to seeing your gazzies! Smile

Quote:Also thought of something new.
Frogfolk, these small humanoid frogs are old and are found inhabiting the deepest swamps where they squat in old temples to their former masters. They see the lizardfolk as traitors to their cause and often send plagues and disease to these all ready weakened people. They hail to the gods of their masters. They are not to be dealt with as their word is as toxic as their skin so beware of these creatures, it is unknown if there are related to the Temple of the Frog but we are not willing to ask.

If it smells of Blackmoor, it feels right here! Smile Frogfolk are very appropriate. I like the idea that these southern Froggies have toxic skin. Do they use that toxin on their weapons as well? Could be quite nasty...

Quote:My plans were to uses the Crimson Pelt Tribe as the replacement for Orcs and their demon lord isnt known besides the name of the Butcher of Men, was thinking Demogorgon with two minor gods being Hel and Thanatos.

Sounds appropriate! Demogorgon has not been used much in this era, though I have suggested that he could be the one behind the Frog cults as well. OTOH, having Tsathoggua as a separate deity is also appealing.

Quote:Also will go do that, love the idea of Carnifex and Outer Beings. Sleeping Ones as well I've placed one in the Great Glacier and one bound to a magma tube beneath the sea causing weird tainted zones and mutations in aquatic creatures and even merfolks who look palid and craked skin wise. So many ideas so little time.

Keep these coming! Maybe trapped in a Volcano? That could fit with the Jungle Realm theme...

Quote:I always found it funyy when people think of Africa its all plains and grassland when yes thats a majority of the region there is still veredant patches. Some animals when they discover their intellegence will try to find others like them. A awakened monkey will look to find a awakened monkey for companionsip or try to teach its companions to get greatter intellegence. They can be a rare encounter in solitude or may find a small family group of awaken animals keeping each other safe.

Okay cool, so they are not hanging out with Tangor or whatever? I could see a decent Tangor Witch doctor with an awakened animal companion...

Quote:I've been thinking of doing that but I have no idea about the classic dnd part. I think cleric with a list of Wendo giving diety benefits might do well with a custom spell list if not make it a alternate class feature with weapon limitations tossed aside to allow blades. They would more or less be witch doctors.

Classic D&D is all about toning down specific rules for each situation and rather focusing on the setting/background elements. Minor tweaks like this could work though Smile

-Havard
Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but Catfolk (Rakasta) would also be quite appropriate in the Jungle Realm. I am working on the corresponding region of Bolgerie and thinking about introducing both Sherekasta (Tiger-folk) and Pardasta (Panther-folk) in this region.

This thread has some more details.

-Havard
Any updates on this project?

-Havard
In for some wordplay?

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Thangorodrim
There is progress I just haven't had the chance to post any of it, my Internets out a home and been trying to find more work since mines gone seasonal.^_^;;

I'll give spoilers though. I've got a few races new and old in the area, as well as two BECMI classes half written, and at least 3 organizations that will hold power. Also two new 'gods' and some Outer Beings and Sleeping Ones.
Freedom92 Wrote:There is progress I just haven't had the chance to post any of it, my Internets out a home and been trying to find more work since mines gone seasonal.^_^;;

Good to heave you back at least! Smile

Quote:I'll give spoilers though. I've got a few races new and old in the area, as well as two BECMI classes half written, and at least 3 organizations that will hold power. Also two new 'gods' and some Outer Beings and Sleeping Ones.

Sounds _very_ interesting! Love the fact that you have both new races and organizations.

Gods, Outer Beings and Sleeping Ones are always a plus :twisted:

Can't wait to see more! Smile

-Havard
Connected to one of my projects, I've been looking into the history of Thonia's wars against the Jungle Realm natives. As mentioned in the OP, there isn't much official material on the region in published material. However, I'm working based on what we have got and extrapolating form that.

My theory is that Bolgerie, the Thonian province that is home to the dark skinned humans called Bolgers (per DA1) was once part of the Jungle Realm. I have not figured out the timeline quite yet, but my backstory for General Marcellius suggests that there were wars against the Jungle Realm in the late 400s of the Thonian Calendar. It is possible that this is when the entire region was brought into the Empire.

Just to change things around a little, my idea is that the Bolgers was not the main enemy of the Empire. Instead, the Bolgers (Humans) were fighting an invading force of Lizardfolk. These Lizardfolk (including Jungle Gatormen) are followers of Volketh and possibly linked to the Serpentine Empire. The Thonian Empire was much less corrupt back in those days and actually decided to ally with the Bolgers who eventually joined the Empire willingly.

The Lizardfolk still consider the Bolgerie region "theirs" and still seek to take it back from the Empire.

NEW EQUIPMENT
Turtleshell Armor: This armor is detailed in the BMPG. I could see some Bolgers introducing this type of armor to the Thonian Empire, even though Turtles can be found elsewhere as well.

NEW SPELLS
Elephant's Trample
Crocodile's Breath
Lion's Pounce
Rhino's Charge
The above spells found in the BMPG were introduced to the Thonian Empire by Bolger mages.

-Havard