Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Captain Harchar and Chirine ba Kal's Adventures in Blackmoor
chirine ba kal Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Yes please! Smile

I did a search for "Harchar" on the forum, but could not find the names of the ships.

-Havard

Thank you! It may have been someplace else; I don't recall... Smile

"Thousand Falcons" - medium to large sailing ship, classic 'galleon' merchantman; our first (to the west) voyage to the Southern Continent, mentioned in "Man of Gold". Lost in shipwreck on far west of EPT maps. Paid for loss by Seal Imperium.

"Malia" - large merchant galley, classic Venetian ship; our second voyage (to the east) to the Southern Continent, by way of Lake Parunal and Blackmoor. Mentioned in "Flamesong". Lost in Desert of Sighs, paid for by Imperium.

"Splendor of the Gods" - large sailing merchantman; mentioned in "Death of Kings". Still in use, as far as I know.

I also have records of a second large merchant galley (notes from Dave) that he used on occasion; he said he wanted to 'have a spare, just in case'. It's my understanding that this is the "Malia II".

All of these ships get a lot of coverage in my own book, "To Serve The Petal Throne". we spent so much time on them with Dave that I made myself a 25mm deck chair miniatures... Smile

Thanks Chirine! That is quite a few ships!

Did Dave name all of the ships himself?

BTW, how were characters created in Phil's campaign? Did the professor provide alot of the background for the characters like in the early Braunsteins or was it more like modern RPGs where the players make up most of the details or a mix?

Oh yeah! and really looking forward to that book! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Quote:Thanks Chirine! That is quite a few ships!

Did Dave name all of the ships himself?

BTW, how were characters created in Phil's campaign? Did the professor provide alot of the background for the characters like in the early Braunsteins or was it more like modern RPGs where the players make up most of the details or a mix?

Oh yeah! and really looking forward to that book! Smile

-Havard

You're welcome! Dave was a great sailor, but not the best of navigators, so we had a few mishaps along the way. On the other hand, that is what adventurers do, and we were usually on an Imperial expense account, so it was all billable wastage. Dave would glory in the money, and build a bigger and better ship with it.

I named the first one; Phil hadn't seen "Star Wars", at that point, and didn't get the joke for months; "She'll do nine knots past Ngashtu Head!" Dave named all the rest of them, though.

Rolling up a PC with Phil was normally simply rolling according to the rules then in use; I was the last PC rolled up in EPT, with everybody else in the group being rolled up in S&G. You rolled, looked at the numbers, and picked a profession and religion from the rules. After that, it was pretty much up to you to develop the character - and with our usually playing the same PC for years - I played Chirine from 1976 on, for example - you did get some really pretty detailed people. On occasion, Phil would provide some sort of background detail, but this was based on how the dice rolls went. Kathy Marshall, for example, rolled really well on her clan and lineage, and was a Saa Alliquiyani - when she asked for a name, he told her, and gave me a look that said "Keep your mouth shut, Chirine!" as he'd set up a surprise for her that she didn't find out about for months. Vrisa Vishetru, her PC, is a royal princess and clan-cousin of Baron Ald Vishetru, one of the major PCs. Major plot thing, I tell you!!!

And thank you fhr kind words; I continue to steam away on the thing... Smile