Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Outlands: Fel and Dukane
What is known about these two towns to the northwest of King Uther's Kingdom? Mentioned in my list of Blackmoor Holdings they were founded by refugees from the Duchy of Ten. Possibly there could have been small villages there earlier, but that they only grew into a size of prominence when their populations were increased by refugees.

Taking a look at this map, I notice that Fel is quite close to Port Dacoit on the Duchy of Ten side of the border. Sounds like there could easily have been contact across the river for decades.

Dukane seems more oriented towards the Amber Channel. Also, there could be some overland trade with Gloomen. Not sure I have much mroe to work on with this town.

Any thoughts on these two coastal towns?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Given the long history of piracy in this part of the North, I cannot help wonder if perhaps these towns grew out of older smuggler's routes.

Trade from the Duchy of Ten via Hanford/Midges is probably kept under tight control, while smuggling from Port Dacoit to Fel could allow smugglers to bypass Midges and transport goods via Dukane/Gloomy to Vestfold and beyond.

Dukane is also fairly close to the Westwood which could have some interesting implications for that town.

Obviously they might not have been much more than safehouses or tiny villages before the Afridhi invasions drove all of those Tenian refugees there. This would explain why published texts say they were founded by refugees, but at the same time give them a bit more of a "backstory".

Possibly there could even have been refugees fleeing there before the Afridhi invasion too, like escaped slaves, or opponents to the reign of the Ran of Ah'foo.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign