Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Is Falun Caves Gnomish technology of Blackmoorian origin?
Havard Wrote:I think I suggested somewhere else that the Gnomes of Mystara could be a kind of Blackmoor revivalist race. Perhaps Garl Glitterlode is secretly working to make the Gnomes bring about a new Blackmoor Era, ala Rafiel's project with the Shadowelves?
I like this idea a lot. In fact this is how the Mystara BC 2300 Shimmering Lands Gaz views Garal.
Chimpman Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I think I suggested somewhere else that the Gnomes of Mystara could be a kind of Blackmoor revivalist race. Perhaps Garl Glitterlode is secretly working to make the Gnomes bring about a new Blackmoor Era, ala Rafiel's project with the Shadowelves?
I like this idea a lot. In fact this is how the Mystara BC 2300 Shimmering Lands Gaz views Garal.

Cool Smile

But why would Garal be of a different opinion than many of the other Immortals?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:But why would Garal be of a different opinion than many of the other Immortals?
That is a very good question. I'm not sure I have a good answer.

Based on what modern day gnomes are doing - the city of Serraine can fly, and I believe that the Book of Marvelous Invention details at least 1 Highforge technomantic creation. In Fanon we have the Taurus gnomes on the Hollow Moon (Serrainers who made a rocket ship), and the Snartans of Vulcania (who ride around in mecha fighting one another). I think it's safe to say that the view of Mystaran gnomes in both canon and fanon is skewed toward the technological/technomantic.

That being the case I think it would be hard to view Garal (who is the main gnomish immortal) as being anything except pro-technology. As to the "why" of that I'm not so sure I have a good answer. The best I can come up with is that Garal doesn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Without getting too political, there is a saying over here in the states (usually used by folks who are against gun control - again I'm not publicly subscribing to any believe pattern here, just using this as an example). The saying is "Guns don't kill people... People kill people."

So from Garal's point of view perhaps Blackmoorian technology is not inherently "evil"... it's just that those moron Blackmoorians miss-used it. Sponsoring the gnomish people in such a way might be Garal's way of proving the rest of his peers wrong on the issue of technomancy.

Again, not the most provoking reason (I'm sure we could come up with some more exciting plots to link to Garal), but that's they way I've always thought of the topic.
I think, simply, Garal IS the master tinkerer, and is not daunted by first time failure (nor second time, third time etc.), so he's happy for his people to keep tinkering (and failing over and over again, if necessary...).
After all this attitude, to him, is well worth a Rain of Fire, every now and then... isn't it? :mrgreen:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:I think, simply, Garal IS the master tinkerer, and is not daunted by first time failure (nor second time, third time etc.), so he's happy for his people to keep tinkering (and failing over and over again, if necessary...).
After all this attitude, to him, is well worth a Rain of Fire, every now and then... isn't it? :mrgreen:
:twisted: Yes, I can very easily see that attitude coming from Garal as well.

What I'm wondering now is if Garal has any kind of plan in motion. Is he directing his gnomes in order to create some technomagical wonder (such as the Shadow Elves' Chamber of the Stars) or is he simply interested in seeing what the gnomes can do on their own?