Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
WotC to Bring Back Old Setting!
There is some movement there, in that 1e's Unearthed Arcana is getting a reprint, too.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/32949 ... print.html

Overall, a nice development, but I wouldn't dare to speculate.

It is my perception, though, that Wizbro is increasingly turning D&D into a nostalgia brand (like Hasbro handles most of their IP).

Not that that would be anyway bad, but it sure hinders the progress of the hobby.

Then again, with the release of 4e, Wizbro lost the position as pacemaker for tabletop gaming anyway. FFG and Paizo took that one over years ago.
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:It is my perception, though, that Wizbro is increasingly turning D&D into a nostalgia brand (like Hasbro handles most of their IP).

Not that that would be anyway bad, but it sure hinders the progress of the hobby.

D&D4E was a move away from the old, but I think it is nice to see that they are

Quote:Then again, with the release of 4e, Wizbro lost the position as pacemaker for tabletop gaming anyway. FFG and Paizo took that one over years ago.

Not really. While Pathfinder beat 4E on some sales ratings, 4E was still one of the two best selling RPGs until the D&D Next announcement.

FFG's WH40K lines are awesome, but they are still on a meager 3rd place when it comes to sales.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:D&D4E was a move away from the old, but I think it is nice to see that they are

Are...? Smile Tired Havard was tired? Or, you had a kafkaesque episode? :mrgreen:

Quote:Not really. While Pathfinder beat 4E on some sales ratings, 4E was still one of the two best selling RPGs until the D&D Next announcement.

FFG's WH40K lines are awesome, but they are still on a meager 3rd place when it comes to sales.

I think we misunderstand each other. Smile This is not so much about sales, as it is about the impact on the overall culture of the hobby.

Just what has WotC put out lately that was not just regarded "good", but really, the pinnacle of what the industry is able to accomplish?

I don't see that since probably 2007, or 2008.
9.00. Second coffee break of the day. I add:

For those who only read the boards occasionally, my polemics are not so much grognardism - nor is being a grognard regarded as being
an asset if you want to participate in this discussion. Havard and I discuss about this topic endlessly, the main difference being that
Havard is a fan of D&D in general, while my interest usually doesn't extend further than Blackmoor, and, oddly enough, Ravenloft,
while my actual tabletop gaming has always centered around other systems and games. So, I am inclined to make my argument
from the perspective of an outsider, while Havard talks as an insider.

So, when I am saying something about WotC that is not flattering, that's not an "attack", but from somebody who is more inclined
to check the FASA section of the FLGS before I walk over to the D&D section.

I am putting that out just so the interested reader knows, if he makes a hateful comment, we good Comeback Inn bartenders will respond
with a good spanking.

Smile

I am doing my taxes today. AGAIN. Can I tempban somebody, just to relieve the stress?
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:I am doing my taxes today. AGAIN. Can I tempban somebody, just to relieve the stress?
Oh, is that why I just had to log in again? :wink:
PROBABLY. :twisted: