Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Shock Troops of the Egg: The Qullan
DungeonDevil Wrote:Nifty! Big Grin
I don't know how extra-sharp swords give a bonus 'to hit'. :? A bonus to damage is more logical.
The 'confusion aura' reminded me a lot of the description of Marfeldt the Barbarian
("the numbness of mind that seems to afflict those who converse with the Barbarian", FFC, p. 15). That coupled with the reference to revulsion (ibid.) must be akin to the Qullans' aura.
The idea that Marfeldt is connected to the qullans is brilliant. He was somehow "created" by a wizard, so it makes sense that he might be some kind of artificial being, perhaps a magically created hybrid made by someone who sought to invest the powers of the qullans into troops loyal to him rather than to the Egg. He either managed to create only one, or Marfeldt killed the others (or is there another one around somewhere?).
*bump*

NPCDave just made a new possible discovery on the Qullan posted on The Piazza. Apparently they also appear in the 4E Monster Manual under the name Foulspawn?

Havard Wrote:
NPCDave Wrote:I was going through my bookshelf when I pulled out a Living Greyhawk Journal #4 from my Blackmoor section. I knew it had to have some Greyhawk Blackmoor reference within it and I found it on page 26. The Qullan is described there as inhuman shock troopwes used by the Egg of Coot, and is a 3rd Edition update of the qullan found in the original 1E Fiend Folio. A bit of searching revealed that there is a 4E Qullan called the foulspawn berserker which I surmise was in the 4E monster manual?

I still haven't gotten around to buying the 4E corebooks, let alone build anything for a 4E Blackmoor campaign. But I wanted to file this information into this thread for my own future benefit as well as other Blackmoor fans.

Primal source...I am not even sure what that is, I really have to get around to reading the 4E rules.

The Foulspawn are indeed described in the 4E Monster Manual p 112-113. As with most 4E monsters, there are different types of Foulspawn included: Grue, Mangler, Berserker, Seer and Hulk.

[Image: 18740837506_3284fb360c_z.jpg]

There is no reference to the term Qullan in the book though. Perhaps due to copyright issues? Looking at the picture above, they certainly look right for the part down to the ritual scarring/tattoos/warpaint etc. Foulspawn are linked to the Far Realm in 4E which makes sense at least with some interpretations of the Egg of Coot as well.

I created my own backstory origins for the Qullan as originally a Brute Man Tribe that was corrupted by the Burrowers before falling into the servitude of the Egg. I could see the Egg's Champion Moorcock the Slayer commanding hordes of these creatures.

If we can confirm that the Foulspawn are indeed reskinned Qullan, perhaps there are more sources out there for us to borrow ideas from? Anyone know more about this? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Just found confirmation from Mike Mearls that Qullan and Foulspawn are the same creatures:

Mike Mearls Wrote:Qullan: I love these guys. They ended up becoming foulspawn berserkers. Check out the berserker's aura - its obviously derived from the qullan.

http://mearls.livejournal.com/155654.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign