Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[ZGG Repost] Tainted Technomancy
http://mmrpg.zeitgeistgames.com/index.p ... opic&t=249
Havard (Apr 2006)
Some more ideas on Technomancy (Steampunk, Clockwork etc) for the Blackmoor campaign:

Technomancy:
To the wizards of Blackmoor, technology is nothing but an extention of magic, related to Alchemy. The Wizards and Sages of Blackmoor University work with the Uberstar Dwarves to produce the wonders of the North, including golem-like pets, servants and guardians as well as a range of other devices.

Tainted Technomancy
The other main source of Technomancy comes from the Land of Coot. The Egg, an entity of unknown origin, is a known manufacturer of technomantic devices, though these are believed to be of a twisted, dark nature. Steamtech limbs or other body parts are often placed on undead or half-dead warriors, painfully grafting blades, axes or other weaponry to their bodies. The Egg's legions are also known to have gun-powder based siege weapons and steamtech ships (See Wizard's Cabal), and these items are also believed to be of an infernal nature. The Ran of Ah Fooh, once a servant of the Egg is said to have brought this tainted technomancy to the Duchy of Ten. It is possible that such items have now fallen into the possession of the Afridhi.

Comments? Any ideas to what sort of twisted technology the servants of the Egg may possess?

Spikey:
Oh dear God, Rotfoot has to take a level of wizard now. I was planning on it, but now he has motivation.

Also, the book we should be looking to for inspiration here, off the top of my head, The Perdido Street Station by China Meiville. It shows exactly how the twisted part of it would all work.

Havard:
Hmmm..you may be on to something there! I started reading that one a few years ago, but accidentally left it at a friend's place. I got it back later, but by then I had started reading something else. If I can find it now, ill go read it again looking for ideas for the Egg's toys.

Let me know if you can think of some more twisted technomagical devices that the Egg would make.

Ofcourse, the Egg may sell these off to the Afridhi, the Skandaharians or any other enemy of Blackmoor just for the fun of it...

Spikey:
Well I would say really crude versions of any cyber-punk toy would be right up the Egg's alley. Magic is kind of like science or can at least be adapted that way in the case of a super power like the Coot. In that case I would pull ideas from When Gravity Fails, anything by William Gibson, or even Ghost in the Shell. There are lots of cool ideas like the idea you can look through any of your minions eyes whenever you feel like it, or a machine to inject different potions or poisons into your minion.

Rafe:
Rotfoot is dead and locked in my basement... Wink

Will the gnome ever return to the Company of the Maiden? Smile

Spikey:
Probably not, I enjoyed doing it but I felt I was lagging behind every time I posted because there would be 12-15 other posts in the span of a day Razz
Gsvenson:
That's too bad. You will find that the pace of the game has slowed considerably, partly because of your concerns that it was moving too fast. Des is posting two or three times a week now and there is a second even slower game where he posts more like once or twice a week...

Rafe:
Don't exaggerate! We played much quicker than I had thought, but never THAT fast - at least I think so... *Bad memory these days...*

Well then, shall I simply have poor Rotfoot butchered or shall I somehow port him to the slower game, so that you can resume with him there when you find the time?

Spikey:
well I'd hate to see him murdered, but maybe his soul somehow gets trapped in a clockwork counterpart... a twisted version of himself to keep in line with the thread.

Rafe:
Naah, can't kill him... Will let him run off...

BTW, your new avatar looks suspicously like some new piece of artwork for CBM... Am I right?

BTW2:

PLEAZZZE, RETURN! Torturing the gnome was so much fun!

Spikey:
I remember that it was from Baldur's Gate 2, but I think they pulled artwork for that from elsewhere.

Havard:
I agree. Cyberpunk toys is a great source of inspiration here. I like the clairvoyance/audience effects you mention here as well as the poison/drug ideas! Perhaps needles injecting stat boosting drugs? Ofcourse, the Tainted Technomancy would have negative effects, corrupting both the body and the soul...

What about appearances? Steamforged (Cyborged) characters need to look different than their cyberpunk counterparts. Ideas for making them more Steam Tech appropriate?

Spikey:
Boilers, pneumatic pistons, clockwork bits; really anything from China Meiville did in the Perdido Street Station book or the source image for clockwork in the Hardback. Anything with a clockwork timer or magic infused powers. I mean quite honestly as long as it's gnomish it can look like anything, and as long as it is Coot in can look like anything twisted.

If the source book is made it needs to be one of those books you can flip over and start from the back to look at the two different views of all this technology.

You know, good from one side evil from the other, they meet somewhere in the middle for what happens when you combine them like an evil bastard.

Rafe:
I believe it's from a a ...was it spellfire?... card... That D&D trading cards from the last days of 2e...

Havard:
Some good ideas there! I should really get back to Perdido Street Station. Where did I put that book? I was searching on the net for some of the pics you mention or something similar, but couldnt really find anything good....

Spikey:
Type in steampunk or steam punk, that may work.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign