Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
First Expedition to the City of the Gods
In 1980 TSR published Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, possibly inspired by Gygax' experiences in the City of the Gods in 1976. Last year I talked about how the two Greyhawk heroes, Robilar and Mordenkainen almost lost their lives in this deadly place. It wasn't until 1987 that the City of the Gods became accessible to the general D&D fans in module DA3. However, Dave Arneson had been sending his players to the area since 1974. Dave Arneson's company Zeitgeist Games revisited the location in 2008 as part of their D20 line.

The first expedition to the City of the Gods is mentioned in JG's First Fantasy Campaign. Was the City always a space ship? Visitors from futuristic interstellar civilizations had been visiting Blackmoor since John Snider started his Star Empires campaign in early 1973 placing Blackmoor on his star map. This may have been what first brought the science fantasy twist to Arneson's campaign and may have been the direct inspiration for the City of the Gods.

What we do know is that the City of the Gods was a deadly place. Mordenkainen and Robilar were lucky enough to escape the City alive. The first group exploring the area were not so lucky. The Wizard of the Woods (Pete Gaylord) and a Peshwa Nomad Hero (Dale Norman) lost their lives on this expedition. Those who did return did not look back.

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... -gods.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I didn't know the Wizard of the Woods was lost in the expedition to the City of the Gods. I got the impression that he perished during the Egg's second attack on Vestfold and Blackmoor.

This definitely puts some new pieces in place for the "Thorn-ized" version of events, given a brief writeup a bit ago here:

http://web.me.com/robjn/Site/Blog/Entri ... _Star.html
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:I didn't know the Wizard of the Woods was lost in the expedition to the City of the Gods. I got the impression that he perished during the Egg's second attack on Vestfold and Blackmoor.

The Wizard of the Woods fought against the Egg's invasions commanding a force of Pixie allies, but did not meet his doom there.

Quote:This definitely puts some new pieces in place for the "Thorn-ized" version of events, given a brief writeup a bit ago here:

http://web.me.com/robjn/Site/Blog/Entri ... _Star.html

Veery interesting! Smile

-Havard
FYI, there wre Sci Fi elements in the Blackmoor campaign before John Snider started his Star Wars campaign.

I am afraid that I don't remember when the Wizard of the Woods fell, nor do I remember the original expedition to the City of the Gods...
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Thanks Greg! That is good to know! As I think you have pointed out, the line between sci fi and fantasy was much more blurred back then. Do you remember any examples of Pre-Star Empires sci fi elements? Some of those tech items from the FFC could easily be from those times.

Quote:I am afraid that I don't remember when the Wizard of the Woods fell, nor do I remember the original expedition to the City of the Gods...

I got those parts from the FFC. Could it be that the Great Svenny was not part of that expedition? I could imagine the group being more successful had they had you on their side! Smile

-Havard
The Blue Rider's armor and horse were discovered as part of a dragon's treasure in the Fall of 1972. The hord was floating in a lake of lava. Bill Heaton jumped from a ledge down on to the treasure to retreive it, leaving much other treasure behind. Mel Johnson and I were also on that adventure, but we didn't have the guts to jump down there. I didn't see how we could get off of the island in the lava lake, but that was taken care of magically.

My first experience DMing was handling Bill's attempt to figure out how to use the armor the following weekend. Dave wanted to do something else that day and gave me some verbal instructions on how to handle it.

Richard Snider and Bob Meyers were the key players in the City of the Gods adventure. Svenny was there, but I think I was distracted with other things at the time...
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Actually, I am confusing the City of the Gods adventure with a different, earlier adventure to the Valley of the Ancients. Havard, I think that you are right, I was not part of the original adventure.
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Very interesting Greg! So the Valley of the Ancients was being explored before the City of the Gods? I am intrigued! Smile

Thanks also for reminding me of the Blue Rider Armor/Horse as an attempt at early Sci Fi elements!

-Havard