Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[ZGG Repost] Technology in Blackmoor
http://mmrpg.zeitgeistgames.com/index.p ... opic&t=204

Havard:
Over at Dragonsfoot we have been discussion how to mix technology and fantasy and avoiding a sense of conflict between genres. Any suggestions to how to do this in a Blackmoor campaign? How much do the technological elements of Blackmoor come in to play in your campaigns? And which parts? (Clockwork, Steamtech, Space Ships?)

Havard (2006):
This keeps coming up when I'm thinking about Blackmoor.

For a while I thought about running a Tech free Blackmoor, setting it at a time before too much inventing takes place.

Although it could be cool, I've started thinking it wouldn't really be Blackmoor though.

But I still havent decided what role tech will play IMC and how it should be portrayed. I am looking for something tha feels nothing like Star Trek, thats for sure.

What role does tech play IYC? And what does it look like?

gsvenson:
I have always viewed technical items as "magic" items, describing them as magic wands, rods, armor, cloaks, amulets, etc. So a rifle might be a rod of lightening bolts, a flak vest might be a magic breast plate, battledress might be magic plate armor, etc.
Greg

Desdichado:
My own BM is very steam-heavy... My own favourite character, Merowech Rednose, a gnome, bears two large revolvers and rides... a small steam-tank... Wink

Spikey:
See?! It's cool to have clockwork monster of a gnome!

Desdichado:
Actually, Rotfoot and Merowech are pretty similar types of characters - I would have introduced *my gnome* into the campaign, hadn't you popped up. Wink

Spikey:
Heh, after playing a certain episode I suggest you should just put him in anyway.

Desdichado:
Merowech currently runs an inn near Jackport. Maybe Kalen could have convinced him to join the Tenian Rebellion out of some odd reason, like... "They brew a very good beer there..

Havard:
Hmmm...
After reading your comments, I am thinking that keeping Steam Tech a central part of the setting will make it easier to also include other types of technology, like items found in the Valley of Ancients, and the Temple of the Frog for instance.

I will also consider these items "magical", being within the realm of understanding of Wizards, though most will be usable, and even possible to repair/modify by non-wizards.

Taking this further, I'm thinking about making technology also into the main feature of the Egg of Coot. Its slaves often in actuality cyborged zombies or the like. The Egg will present a dark form of technology, perhaps even hinting at the direction Blackmoor's technology could take in the future...

On a more day to day basis, can someone help me with ideas for technology not used for combat, but for everyday purposes?

Desdichado:
Apart from mining engines, the most common form steam tech shows up in my game is... TOYS! Smile

Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign