Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[ACKS] Adventurer Conqueror King System
Tavis Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Bargle at DF mentioned that ACKS has level limits, with most classes maxing out at 14th, while some classes end before that? Is this true? I'm really hoping not...

Yes, in this regard it's more B/X than B/E/C/M/I. The focus of the core system is on presenting an integrated economy, in which a 14th level character is the best in the known world and rules an appropriately-sized domain. Characters in play might well transcend this limit, but that's beyond the scope of the initial book.

Tell me more about what you're hoping for, Havard; this time I have clicked 'notify me when a reply is posted' so I will not be so late in replying!

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this message. What I like about the OSR in general is revisiting good ideas that may have been forgotten along the way in the urge to push out new editions. What I dislike is the revisiting of bad ideas. Granted this is all subjective, but level limits is in my opinion the mother of bad ideas.

Now I can understand the decision to stop at 14th level. A rulebook will always have limited space, and some things can be saved for possible expansions. That said, what made me cringe was the suggestion that while humans would not progress beyond 14th level, demihumans met their level limit long before that.

That said, I am still interested in the book. I really like what I am hearing about dominion style play. Also the idea of Thieves being able to use their followers in new ways sounds really interesting. I am hoping each class will get a similar treatment with new options.

It would be interesting to see Magic-Users get rules for using apprentices to assist research and the gathering of spell components and perhaps even group casting of spells?

For Clerics, it would be interesting to see rules for building religious organizations.

Am I hoping for too much? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign

Messages In This Thread