Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Sleeping Ones
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewt...=22&t=2793

The Stone Age in that thread is a different Stone Age from the one mentioned in my article. The basic idea is that the Cthonic Age (mentioned in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor) ended with a new Ice Age, which in turn reduced many of the civilizations of the North to a Second Stone Age. The Great Glacier north of the Wilderlands is a remnant of this Ice Age.

Quote:I personally find Egg=Cthulhu a tad boring, to tell the truth, but I recognize it's incredibly playable,
and very friendly for beginners who want to put together a campaign.

*lol*
The Egg is not Cthulhu in my version. It is however connected to entities of a Lovecraftian nature. However it should be noted that the article about the Sleeping Ones is not primarily about the Egg of Coot. Rather it introduces an element of the grander cosmology of my Blackmoor.

Freedom92 Wrote:As mentioned above the idea of the dreamlands is interesting way to have the silent Ones reach out, the dreamscape being the manifestation of the collective subconscious as well as it would result in why wizards would fear the egg of coot since subconsciously they know it feeds off arcane magic and the fear of aberrant things hail from other Sleeping Ones. Would explain why they manipulated the brute-men easily as they are a very primitive race whose mythology might put emphasis on the idea of omens in dreams, etc.

Thanks! Good point about the Egg of Coot feeding on the Arcane Energies and what this would mean for Wizards. I could see the Egg's own wizards having learned to feed off the negative energies that the Egg generates, though not without a price of course :twisted:

The storyline about the Brute Men is a reference to the Hollow World boxed set and the relationship between the Great Burrowers and the Brute Men.

Quote:Also the Sleeping Ones are a good name for what fills the role of the great old ones in Blackmoor and I like how The Egg of Coot is sort of the cthulhu replacement. I cant wait to see what you toss out, in my local group I'm playing the binder binding the vestiges of the GOO and OG so I can see it eaily working well in Blackmoor. I'd love to see what you have lined up for these Sleeping Ones, they are indeed interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement and great input! That sort of thing is what keeps me going! Smile

More on all of this later Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign

Messages In This Thread