Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
What does Blackmoor have that Mystara doesn't?
Havard Wrote:Great topic! I like how this thread has not turned into a Mystara vs. Blackmoor thread,
I really hate Mystara. It's the most worthless setting ever, and so inferior to Blackmoor...
Havard Wrote:but instead has focused on what is interesting about Blackmoor as a setting.
Oh. :oops: Never mind. Tongue
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Haha, good try Fin Wink

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Blackmoor = Wandy
Mystara = Rampage

[Image: Wanderlei20KOs20Rampage.gif]
finarvyn Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Great topic! I like how this thread has not turned into a Mystara vs. Blackmoor thread,
I really hate Mystara. It's the most worthless setting ever, and so inferior to Blackmoor...
Havard Wrote:but instead has focused on what is interesting about Blackmoor as a setting.
Oh. :oops: Never mind. Tongue

Settings are personal, IMO. I Like Ravenloft, heh and A bit of Forgotten Realms. Fin is probably making a joke but this is just my opinion Big Grin
[Image: Karl.png]
Thora Stormblade Dwarf of Clan Stormblade
Tales From the Vales
Ben "Doc" Perdue Human Bodyguard
The Throne of Stars
I am making a joke -- or at least trying to poke at Havard a little. Big Grin

Seriously, I think that there are so many cool settings out there ... and the neat thing is that most settings are such that you could strip away the game elements and run them with any rules you like.

I happen to like Mystara, although I've not played it much. I liked it enough to buy all of the gazetteers, at least, so that says something. As for Forgotten Realms, I never got much into 2E so I didn't really follow its development much and if you don't know it, it's not really fair to love it or hate it. And I loved the concept of Ravenloft, although more at the module-level and not so much when it became its own setting.

From a historical perspective, my favorite settings are probably (1) Blackmoor, (2) JG's Wilderlands, and (3) Greyhawk. In that order.

From a literary perspective, my favorite setting has to be Middle-earth, hands-down. I also enjoy Conan's Hyboria, and Leiber's Nehwon. I even like DragonLance, although I know it's not cool to admit it. So many fun worlds to explore there.

Another couple to mention are Carcosa, in its OD&D form, Empire of the Petal Throne in the old TSR OD&D-like form, and the feel of the new DCC RPG modules. Those are weird and creepy and something about them draw me in.

Not intended to be a setting list. Just sort of happened. Tongue
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:For me it's both nostalgia and a love for the origins of the game.

Ditto that. And I'm drawn to the rugged northern landscape, the mystery of the place, that sort of thing.

Mystara feels more settled and defined, more mundane in a sense, but of course that depends a lot on where you are in the world.
Aldarron Wrote:And I'm drawn to the rugged northern landscape, the mystery of the place, that sort of thing.

Yes!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign