Share Thread:
Musings on the mage wars
Aldarron Wrote:I think this is what led me to think so about Glendower:

Rampart #10

Reported by Sheridan M. Trife.
Glendower.
Arguably more of a large military base than a large
town, Glendower has always been one of the key fortifications
protecting the North from external invaders.
But what about invaders from within?
Rumors tell of ancient passages beneath the cobblestone
streets of Glendower, teaming with intelligent undead
and other horrible creatures. Some even believe
these passages connect to the dungeons of Castle Blackmoor
itself.
Coming soon to the Blackmoor Rampart: a several-part
series examining the Ghosts of Glendower.

Excellent, thanks!

Looks like Scott has been working based on the information that the Blackmoor Dungeons and the Glendower dungeons are connected, which I believe Gregg provided at some point. This is a good point. I don't think the Glendower dungeons should be as old as the dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, which are ancient, but the fact that they are probably connected makes a good argument for them having been around for a long while. This doesnt mean that the current fortifications of Glendower are that old though, but probably it has been the site of settlements longer than that. I could see those fortifications being constructed perhaps shortly after the destruction of the Temple of Id, as a sort of precaution should Id return again, perhaps?

Given the fairly small size of Glendower even today, I wouldnt say it was ever a site of major importance beyond its military function, growing into a Barony only as late as during the reign of Baron Fant (and Sir Jenkins).

Quote:Ringlo Hall I'm not familiar with but I'll go with that if you think it works.

Ringlo Hall is the "capital" of the Cumasti Elves and the seat of Menander Ithamis. I see it as very similar to Elrond's Hall at Rivendell.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Rafe: I have a near complete timeline for the Thonian Rand, but I will wait with posting it for now Wink

-Havard
Glendower - sounds good Havard. In my mind, since it has "always been" a key fortification, I see some sort of defensive works being built there by Robert I.

I'm influenced by living in "the new world", and being near to a long ago frontier area. Whenever the european and colonial powers expanded into the "Wilderness" it meant several key fortifications would be built within a few days march of each other for support. It stands to reason Blackmoor castle would not have been the only place Robert I established. Perhaps Booh was another?
BTW, the "Id monster" is a tentacled cat in "Voyage of the Space Beagle", FYI.
Rafael Wrote:BTW, the "Id monster" is a tentacled cat in "Voyage of the Space Beagle", FYI.

This subject came up in DF chat a few nights ago, and someone posted pics of the Coeurl, the tentacled cat from AE Van Vogt's "Black Destroyer" story that eventually was rewritten as "The Voyage of the Space Beagle". Since I've never read either, I should hunt down "Beagle" now & read it! :wink:

Coeurl by Kramer

Coeurl Marvel Comics

Black Destroyer book cover illo
bobjester Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:BTW, the "Id monster" is a tentacled cat in "Voyage of the Space Beagle", FYI.

This subject came up in DF chat a few nights ago, and someone posted pics of the Coeurl, the tentacled cat from AE Van Vogt's "Black Destroyer" story that eventually was rewritten as "The Voyage of the Space Beagle". Since I've never read either, I should hunt down "Beagle" now & read it! :wink:

Cool, seems like a book that has had quite an impact on D&D in general Smile

-Havard
Thank you for the illustration, Bob! Smile

Actually, I had planned an encounter with those critters in our campaign here for a while... For just today:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=758&start=70

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
*necro*

Aldarron Wrote:I think this is what led me to think so about Glendower:

Rampart #10

Reported by Sheridan M. Trife.
Glendower.
Arguably more of a large military base than a large
town, Glendower has always been one of the key fortifications
protecting the North from external invaders.
But what about invaders from within?
Rumors tell of ancient passages beneath the cobblestone
streets of Glendower, teaming with intelligent undead
and other horrible creatures. Some even believe
these passages connect to the dungeons of Castle Blackmoor
itself.
Coming soon to the Blackmoor Rampart: a several-part
series examining the Ghosts of Glendower.

Ringlo Hall I'm not familiar with but I'll go with that if you think it works.

Ringlo Hall is of course the seat of Menander Ithamis in the Redwoods. I have always compared it to Tolkien's Rivendell.

Good point about Glendower. The pathway between Glendower's Dungeon and that of Blackmoor Castle is mentioned in the FFC I think. Although Glendower as far as we know rose to become a place of power under the Jenkins Clan, it seems like their fortifications must have been built on some older ruins. Connections to *something* during the Mage Wars is certaily possible.

-Havard