The Comeback Inn
"Blackmoor: The First Campaign", CMP, 2009. - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Product Reviews (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: "Blackmoor: The First Campaign", CMP, 2009. (/showthread.php?tid=396)

Pages: 1 2

"Blackmoor: The First Campaign", CMP, 2009. - Rafael - 06-13-2010

[Image: IMPCMP5400_500.jpeg]

Quote:Over 30 years ago, Dave Arneson created the world that spawned a generation of role playing fans! Enter Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, a brooding world of dragons, dungeons, and danger! Updated for 4th Edition, this core campaign setting features newly revised and expanded material for character options, new races, magic, and iconic NPCs, plus full-color maps of the regions of Blackmoor.

http://paizo.com/store/sale/blackmoorCl ... 48btpy87iq

- Rafael - 06-13-2010

4 of 5 smashed Afridhi skulls.

Got me the PDF version of the book when it came out, and can't say I regret it.

Basically, the d20 campaign setting book expanded and updated.

Not much new material there, really, and I am not too fond of the exclusion of the excellent adventure "Ties That Bind".

Apart from that, if you play 4e and are interested in Blackmoor, go and get it while it's still available!

- Big Mac - 06-13-2010

Rafael Wrote:Not much new material there, really, and I am not too fond of the exclusion of the excellent adventure "Ties That Bind".

Is there a list somewhere of what is new?

- Havard - 06-13-2010

Big Mac Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:Not much new material there, really, and I am not too fond of the exclusion of the excellent adventure "Ties That Bind".

Not AFAIK. If by new you mean "never published anywhere else", there's very little. However, it does incorporate information from various 3E series books so its not just an update of the previous main sourcebook.

Some of the Artifacts, such as the sword Maroon was not available in the 3E version IIRC.

Havard

- Rafael - 06-13-2010

Post your own reviews, bro's!

- Big Mac - 06-13-2010

Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:

Not AFAIK. If by new you mean "never published anywhere else", there's very little.

Well, as a 3e fan, I'm primarily wondering if I'd be paying for something that only includes 10 pages of "cool new stuff" or something that only includes 2 pages of "cool new stuff". The "very little new stuff" thing affects the value of the book to me and makes me want to set my "buy price" low. But if it is a tiny amount it gets to the level, where I want to skim the book in a shop and take two or three notes.

Havard Wrote:However, it does incorporate information from various 3E series books so its not just an update of the previous main sourcebook.

True. Then again, it will be a conversion of that stuff and retro-conversion work would be involved. Buying the original sorcebooks might be cheaper.

Havard Wrote:Some of the Artifacts, such as the sword Maroon was not available in the 3E version IIRC.

Maybe I should wait for the Blackmoor Wiki and create my own rules to go with how that describes this. :twisted:

- Havard - 06-13-2010

Big Mac Wrote:True. Then again, it will be a conversion of that stuff and retro-conversion work would be involved. Buying the original sorcebooks might be cheaper.

Reasons to buy this book:

* To get the rules you need to run a Blackmoor 4E campaign
* A great introduction to the setting if you don't have the previous material.
* A few additional entries such as a few magic items.
* Information about how to include Dragonborn and Tieflings into the setting

Since none of the above applies to you, the only reason to get this book is because of the way it is organized, presenting the setting in a clear and nice manner.

Havard Wrote:Some of the Artifacts, such as the sword Maroon was not available in the 3E version IIRC.

Maybe I should wait for the Blackmoor Wiki and create my own rules to go with how that describes this. :twisted:[/quote]

The sword in question also appeared in the First Fantasy Campaign...

Havard

- Big Mac - 06-13-2010

Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:True. Then again, it will be a conversion of that stuff and retro-conversion work would be involved. Buying the original sorcebooks might be cheaper.

Reasons to buy this book:

* To get the rules you need to run a Blackmoor 4E campaign
* A great introduction to the setting if you don't have the previous material.
* A few additional entries such as a few magic items.
* Information about how to include Dragonborn and Tieflings into the setting

Since none of the above applies to you, the only reason to get this book is because of the way it is organized, presenting the setting in a clear and nice manner.

Probably not enough of a hook for a 3e fan, although 3e does have tieflings.

Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:

Maybe I should wait for the Blackmoor Wiki and create my own rules to go with how that describes this. :twisted:

The sword in question also appeared in the First Fantasy Campaign...

Hmm. I could convert that instead, then.

- Havard - 06-14-2010

Big Mac Wrote:Probably not enough of a hook for a 3e fan, although 3e does have tieflings.

Perhaps. But if you add up the things I have listed in this thread, I could easily see how many 3e fans might prefer picking up this book instead of tracking down every single older supplement.

Havard Wrote:The sword in question also appeared in the First Fantasy Campaign...

Hmm. I could convert that instead, then.[/quote]

Before making that conclusion I would take a closer look at the 1970s material. What was provided back then was more of a skeleton or framework than the kind of presentation, fans of the D20 system are used to. If you are only interested in a name and bonuses to hit and damage, then the FFC works. But for the background and full description you are going to need later material such as the 4e guide.

Havard

- Big Mac - 06-19-2010

Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:Probably not enough of a hook for a 3e fan, although 3e does have tieflings.

Perhaps. But if you add up the things I have listed in this thread, I could easily see how many 3e fans might prefer picking up this book instead of tracking down every single older supplement.

So what you seem to be saying is that the 4e book takes the expansion of the 3e-adjusted world, but then applies the single book style of The First Fantasy Campaign book. Is that right?

Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:
Havard Wrote:The sword in question also appeared in the First Fantasy Campaign...

Hmm. I could convert that instead, then.

Before making that conclusion I would take a closer look at the 1970s material. What was provided back then was more of a skeleton or framework than the kind of presentation, fans of the D20 system are used to. If you are only interested in a name and bonuses to hit and damage, then the FFC works. But for the background and full description you are going to need later material such as the 4e guide.

This is one of the reasons I like the 3e campaign settings. The older stuff is more of a sandbox...which gives a GM a lot more ability to customise, but also takes up a lot more development time.

OK, so I'm "sold" on the idea that this weapon is best described (or made up Tongue ) in the 4e book. And I'm "sold" on the concept that I could buy the 4e book and use the crunch from the 3e book (instead of buying the entire 3e product line).

The thing I'm not necessarily sold on is that "many 3e fans" might prefer picking up this book. I think I'll need to check through the table of contents and try to work out exactly how many extra things I would be getting.

But for a 4e fan, it's a no-brainer decision. They "need" this book.