The Comeback Inn
[Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writers) - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writers) (/showthread.php?tid=1924)

Pages: 1 2 3

[Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writers) - Rafael - 12-02-2014

I think an "Age of Id" board might not be a bad idea.
Seems like there's a real possibility to make the AoI a playable environment, if as a gaz, or simply as a collection on the board.

Editor Split from: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8259&p=31104#p31104

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 12-02-2014

At another forum I am involved in, The Piazza, the rule is that a new forum will be created when and if:
1) At least 10 threads on the topic have been created.
2) These threads must be started by 3 or more people.
3) Someone must make a request for the forum to be created.

I don't know if we need to be as strict as that over here, but I do think it makes sense to link the creation of forums to the amount of activity on the topic.

That said, I think the Age of Id is a really interesting topic and making something out of it could have merit.

So, keep posting in the Id threads, start new threads if the topic branches out, keep the discussion going and we can take a look at that possibility.

To keep this thread going, what sort of topics have we yet not discussed under the heading of the Age of Id?

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 12-02-2014

Well, I am happy this seems to be going into a good direction.

I think the two basic first steps I would take when creating such a bridge setting would be, to define the ethnic division of the setting (which races are part of it?) and to name a line of kings (who followed Robert and Glynd, and who were the rulers of the north before the Dog Duke?). Now, as you can maybe tell, I already have a pretty clear idea of how BM's year 500 could have looked like - as in, I have the Sar-Aigu and the dwarves pretty defined. ...But how that will translate into the community project, another tale, for another time. I'll be happy to let you guys go fully into it, before I chime in again with any of my own ideas.

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 12-02-2014

Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Well, I am happy this seems to be going into a good direction.

I think the two basic first steps I would take when creating such a bridge setting would be, to define the ethnic division of the setting (which races are part of it?) and to name a line of kings (who followed Robert and Glynd, and who were the rulers of the north before the Dog Duke?). Now, as you can maybe tell, I already have a pretty clear idea of how BM's year 500 could have looked like - as in, I have the Sar-Aigu and the dwarves pretty defined. ...But how that will translate into the community project, another tale, for another time. I'll be happy to let you guys go fully into it, before I chime in again with any of my own ideas.

Basically we need one thread per subject:

1) Races of the Age of Id
2) Line of Kings? or History in general?

What else? Smile

Feel free to start individual threads like this. I already start alot of threads in this forum, so it might be better if others initiate threads. I will of course participate a great deal Smile

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Yaztromo - 04-01-2018

Well... we know that there is a dungeon around / beneath the Temple of Id, connected to Backmoor Castle... viewtopic.php?f=83&t=1044

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-02-2018

Old necro is old.

Now, on topic: Basically, difficulties are starting with the very first step. So, the temple of the Id, in-game, is allegedly named after a reference to the classic movie, "Forbidden Planet". ...But the Id monster, IIRC, as PLAYED in the original campaign, and in subsequent installments of the setting, is the Disruptor Beast, as created by A. E. Van Voigt in "The Voyage of the Space Beagle", which by itself, is a fascination document of mid-century sci-fi... But completely unrelated to "Forbidden Planet". - So, which way do you want to go? Smile Because there is no "correct" choice, only one based on personal preferences. ...And that's when it gets really hard to get people on the same page, because two or three interpretations of the same sources can be WORLDS apart, really. Smile

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 04-04-2018

Rafael Wrote:Old necro is old.

Now, on topic: Basically, difficulties are starting with the very first step. So, the temple of the Id, in-game, is allegedly named after a reference to the classic movie, "Forbidden Planet". ...But the Id monster, IIRC, as PLAYED in the original campaign, and in subsequent installments of the setting, is the Disruptor Beast, as created by A. E. Van Voigt in "The Voyage of the Space Beagle", which by itself, is a fascination document of mid-century sci-fi... But completely unrelated to "Forbidden Planet". - So, which way do you want to go? Smile Because there is no "correct" choice, only one based on personal preferences. ...And that's when it gets really hard to get people on the same page, because two or three interpretations of the same sources can be WORLDS apart, really. Smile

These are indeed interesting things to ponder. And you raise good questions on which direction to take the Id Monster.

I have been developing the Age of Id setting on my own for a while now.

What I have done with this subject so far is....not deal with it.

Honestly, I am not sure the monster itself and its exact nature and origins are all that important during the Age of Id.

My idea is that the Order of Id has some secret weapon located in the temple. But its exact nature can be left to the individual DM. More important is how the different races and peoples deal with the rising threat from the Temple leading up to the alliance that eventually would destroy it.

Assuming the PCs don't fail and set the campaign off onto an alternate timeline! :twisted:

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-05-2018

Yeah, but won't that be a problem, at a later point? - Say, for example, you use the Disruptor Beast, and you use, for whatever reason, the Beagle backstory. How do you reconcile it with the existing setting without having to modify an already established narrative? Smile

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 04-05-2018

Rafael Wrote:Yeah, but won't that be a problem, at a later point? - Say, for example, you use the Disruptor Beast, and you use, for whatever reason, the Beagle backstory. How do you reconcile it with the existing setting without having to modify an already established narrative? Smile

Well that depends on alot of factors. The Blackmoor timelines are fuzzy about the Beagle crash, but most of them place the event long after the Age of Id.

There are still plenty of ways you could link its origins to space though.

But again, when would any of this come up in actual play? Certainly not worth halting a project over Smile

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-06-2018

Let me rephrase, perhaps - what would be the basic ramifications of the "ecology" that the Id Monster inhabits, then? - Or, do you leave that completely to the respective DM? And how would you personally describe this in actual play?

Mind you that this is not my attempt to politely poop on what I consider a pretty great idea, and I totally agree, you can perfectly work around the subject without ever having to give deeper explanations for it. - And BM, in particular, is a setting that uses the narrative device of the "unnoticed neighbor" a lot - that, or the whole premise of a king living above an active dungeon wouldn't really work. Like, does he share the kitchen with the orcs, I wonder? Who buys the milk when it is out? Big Grin