The Comeback Inn
Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmoor - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmoor (/showthread.php?tid=1312)

Pages: 1 2

Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmoor - Aegir - 10-10-2012

and I'm wondering if there are any areas on the Blackmoor map with that sort of feel to it. I know very little about the setting beyond the areas directly surrounding the city.

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Aegir - 10-10-2012

...and now I realize this was a somewhat stupid question, it looks like one of the more persistent threats of the setting are what amounts to Viking raiders from the north. Is there any details at all about that region of the map? It seems its off the Blackmoor map to the north.

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - gsvenson - 10-10-2012

Right, it's off to the northeast, but nothing has really been published about it that I am aware of. The Great Svenny is reputed to be decended from 'Skandaharians' that raided the Blackmoor area and decided to stay and settle rather than return to the north.

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Havard - 10-16-2012

Sounds really interesting Aegir! Please let us know more about how this develops! Smile

The FFC mentions the Raiders of the East and the Raiders of the Vest.

DA1 is well worth checking out for this. Look under the entry for Thorsen One-Thumb which mentions the Jarl's stronghold of Borkshold as well as the political situation of that area.

The D20 DAB Sourcebook has a description of Skandaharians in the Monster entry. It also details Skandaharian Gods such as Tyrhm and Hella.

gsvenson Wrote:The Great Svenny is reputed to be decended from 'Skandaharians' that raided the Blackmoor area and decided to stay and settle rather than return to the north.

This is a pretty interesting tidbit! I like the idea of Skandaharians settling near Blackmoor. Probably these would be less blood thirsty than some of their countrymen.

-Havard

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Aegir - 10-18-2012

Having done a bit more reading on the subject (and gotten a better idea of how what I'm wanting to do would fit in Blackmoor), it looks like the most likely site for a Skandaharian presence on the map would be Bartertown, unless I just want to invent something whole cloth (which I'm not against doing, I'm just trying to see if what I want to do would fit in something that already exists before I invent something)

Near as I can tell there isn't much mentioned about Bartertown outside the paragraph or so in DA1. Is there anything in that region of the map that has been detailed at all? North of the Black Sea between Bartertown and the Firefrost Channel?

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Rafael - 10-18-2012

I usually recommend the comic book "Northlanders" for people who want to get a feel on how to tell sensational stories in a low fantasy setting.

If you're into comic books, it might be worth a look.

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Havard - 10-19-2012

Aegir Wrote:Having done a bit more reading on the subject (and gotten a better idea of how what I'm wanting to do would fit in Blackmoor), it looks like the most likely site for a Skandaharian presence on the map would be Bartertown, unless I just want to invent something whole cloth (which I'm not against doing, I'm just trying to see if what I want to do would fit in something that already exists before I invent something)

This sounds like its going to turn into a really interesting campaign! Smile

Quote:Near as I can tell there isn't much mentioned about Bartertown outside the paragraph or so in DA1. Is there anything in that region of the map that has been detailed at all? North of the Black Sea between Bartertown and the Firefrost Channel?

Well there is the Realm of the Egg of Coot which is explored in more detail on my blog.
To the east of that, there isn't too much.

This is also probably the proposed home of the Frisians, which are only given brief mention in the DA modules, but have been expanded by fans. Read about it here.

BTW, I recommend this map, if you are looking for names in that region. Names like the Gremlin Forest and Malfera Woods may easily carry hints of what can be found within...

-Havard

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Aegir - 10-19-2012

Havard Wrote:Well there is the Realm of the Egg of Coot...
Yea, I didn't realize a sizable chunk of that area (beyond the Realm of the Egg itself I mean) was part of its territory as well, looks like it stops around the Forest of Dunland. I'm already planning to make the "orcs" (separate from Beastmen) of the game into primitive humans, something like the bear-men from The 13th Warrior, and that forest is basically the forest (and cave system contained within) depicted in the movie (maybe I'll even go so far as to add in an adventure based off the movie, complete with a little Skandaharian village on the eastern edge of the forest, beaten down by constant raids from the forest). It fits even more when you consider that "Bear Island" is just off the coast...

I don't know if they'd be loyal to the Egg or not, I'm thinking they probably don't much care about anything outside their little corner of the world. Unless his hand is forced and needs the manpower, I could see the Egg being content to let them serve as cannon fodder should someone try to assault his territory from that direction.

Quote:This is also probably the proposed home of the Frisians...
Looks like they come from north of the map, though I could see them having outposts along the Firefrost. Their one real appearance is a number of attacks on Robinsport, and that seems like a tough place to hit if you're coming from the east. If nothing else, they could have a trading presence in Bartertown, or may even be connected to the Egg somehow, maybe they're the Egg's Royal Navy.

Quote:BTW, I recommend this map...
That is exactly the map I'm using, thanks Smile

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Havard - 10-21-2012

Aegir Wrote:Yea, I didn't realize a sizable chunk of that area (beyond the Realm of the Egg itself I mean) was part of its territory as well, looks like it stops around the Forest of Dunland. I'm already planning to make the "orcs" (separate from Beastmen) of the game into primitive humans, something like the bear-men from The 13th Warrior, and that forest is basically the forest (and cave system contained within) depicted in the movie (maybe I'll even go so far as to add in an adventure based off the movie, complete with a little Skandaharian village on the eastern edge of the forest, beaten down by constant raids from the forest). It fits even more when you consider that "Bear Island" is just off the coast...

Cool ideas,
I like having Brute Men/Neanderthals and Garls as alternatives to the standard Goblinoids. I tend to portray the Skandaharians IMC as much more savage than the historical vikings with lots of blood sacrifices and extreme brutality, though some clans could be more peaceful.

Quote:I don't know if they'd be loyal to the Egg or not, I'm thinking they probably don't much care about anything outside their little corner of the world. Unless his hand is forced and needs the manpower, I could see the Egg being content to let them serve as cannon fodder should someone try to assault his territory from that direction.

If the Egg is involved, it could easily have ways to influence primitive races without them really knowing what is going on. So they might not see themselves as servants of the Egg, but would often unwittingly serve its cause anyway.

Quote:Looks like they come from north of the map, though I could see them having outposts along the Firefrost. Their one real appearance is a number of attacks on Robinsport, and that seems like a tough place to hit if you're coming from the east. If nothing else, they could have a trading presence in Bartertown, or may even be connected to the Egg somehow, maybe they're the Egg's Royal Navy.

Good point about the Robinsport connection. I guess there could be Frisian colonies along the edge of the Duchy of the Peaks, or perhaps farther up north?

Quote:That is exactly the map I'm using, thanks Smile

Ah, right Smile

Our friend DaveL made this map, and it is really helpful.

-Havard

Re: Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmo - Aegir - 10-21-2012

Havard Wrote:I tend to portray the Skandaharians IMC as much more savage than the historical vikings with lots of blood sacrifices and extreme brutality, though some clans could be more peaceful.
I think the Afridhi will be serving that role in my game. Given the description of them as demon-worshipers, I'm thinking they might have a ruling class that are effectively Tieflings.

Quote:If the Egg is involved, it could easily have ways to influence primitive races without them really knowing what is going on.
Ooh, thats a good point. I know these guys are ruled by matriarchs that are effectively high priestesses/witches, and I could see the Egg manifesting himself as their "God" in order to influence them. Maybe make them more territorial then they would be otherwise in order to keep people away.

Quote:I guess there could be Frisian colonies along the edge of the Duchy of the Peaks, or perhaps farther up north?
Odd idea... now that you mention that I've suddenly got this mental image of Frisian werewoves stationed in the Wolf Wood, maybe outcasts since they, like Skandaharians, consider the place cursed. Or hell, maybe its just the opposite for them...

Quote:Our friend DaveL made this map, and it is really helpful.
Definitely, its an awesome map Smile

Another question: where would I find details of the role of dragons in Blackmoor? I've seen in a couple places they have something of a detailed backstory in how they connect, but I'm not sure if thats part of Blackmoor or simply trying to rationalize bits of Mystara with Blackmoor.