The Comeback Inn
Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! (/showthread.php?tid=1277)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Rafael - 08-08-2012

Hey Sirs,

Quote:The Age of Ghenrek

When Gods walked among Men.
The time of the Sar-Aigu, the Chtons, and the Macrabs.

There are no existing records about this time and age.
No mortal being, however schooled, smart, or enlightened,
can know about this at the present point in history.

Shoot me a few a ideas about what could have happened during that time.
Think, five millions years before Blackmoor, how could the world have looked like. Smile

I am less into fixed, canon-based concepts, and more general ideas.

...No, I won't steal them for Mordred. Tongue

Thanks,

R

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - aldarron - 08-08-2012

It's still a swamp. Wink But there's no humans or pointy eared facsimilies of any kind. 5 million years is a long while back.

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Rafael - 08-09-2012

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn you, Aldy! :wink:

I am not so sure - simply, because we have so much to fill in. Okay, five million years might be exaggerated, but what about 50.000?

The Maiden's timeline, which is what I am basing my stuff on, starts 12000 years before the beginning of the Northern Calendar.

Timeline's here:

Quote:The Age of the First Men

The mythical era of the High Elves and the Dragon Kings, and of the rise of Man.
Only the very eldest immortal beings surviving to this day hail from this period.
If you dig your way to the deepest bottom of the deepest dungeon in the most remote of all places,
you might maybe find a small and tiny glimpse that this time once existed.

-8600 BCCC [-1200 NC, Dates meant as approximations.] Founding of the city state of Kelnore
-5000 BCC [-8400 NC] Era of the Reptilions in the Northen Marches. Founding of Thracia I in the area that will later be known as “The Duchy of Ten”
-3700 BCCC [-7100 NC] End of the Kelnoran Empire
-3500 BCCC [-6900 NC] Last record of the High Elven city of Aroro’ Esti in the Northern Marches
-600 BCCC [-4000 NC] Dragon Wars in the Roglaroon
- 500 BCCC [-3900 NC] Destruction of Thracia I and Fall of the Immortal King
- 200 BCCC [-3600 NC] Sealing of Insellageth, the City of the Dragonfather
-100 BCCC [-3500 NC] Kingdom of Altania on the Pazidan recorded as the first human-ruled realm in the known world

So, according to our mostly unoffical, but very thoroughly researched (though never be annotated) timeline, there was still A LOT going on, by then.

But what BEFORE Kelnore, and what in the North?

In the last few chapters of the LFC, I touched the topic, hinting that the north was visited by the fellow Macrab Starfarers from Judges Guild, but, of course, that is my personal take on it.

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Havard - 08-09-2012

Are you sure you meant 5 million years ago?

This stuff is too tied up in Wilderlands canon for me to make more specific comments right now. I don't believe the First Men from the WL setting are actually human however.

On a more general note, which is what I guess you were asking for in the OP, we know that even in the RW stone age, "the period lasted roughly 3.4 million years, and ended between 4500 BCE and 2000 BCE with the advent of metalworking" people were often much more sophisticated than what was believed in the past. Extensive trade networks, knowledge of herbs and medicine, and fairly sophisticated religious beliefs and knowledge of astrology as seen in places like stone henge.

No reason why such things would not also have existed in Blackmoor's past.

IMC I have an Ice Age back 5000 years before the founding of Thonia (NC-5000). In the milennia following that Ice Age the humans of the region went from Stone Age technology to Bronze Age to Iron Age as described in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor.

Ofcourse, what happened before the Ice Age could be reconciled with Wilderlands material should one wish it.

Basically I am thinking there could be a Pre-Ice Age civilization ala Conan's Hyperboria, which would correspond to Kelnore. The WL region would not have been covered by the Ice Age (though probably weakened by it) thus making room for the Kelnoran Successor states.

-Havard

The first men of WL were winged apes, actually. Remember the LFC. I reference them. If you had gone after Ixion, you would have met. :wink:

But, yeah, essentially, the question is when we have WoB's (yeah, I just did that) neolithic revolution - which leads to the question about which was the first sophisticated civilization.

IMC, everything ultimately derives from the space ghost that the Beagle brought (epilogue LFC), the Sar-Aigu, and the Macrabs, which are really homo sapiens.

They settle in the Age of Ghenrek, and ultimately get canned, with the exception of the mermen, and from their ashes, after a period of barbarism, rises everything else.

If you want to check it out, in this thread, I give Ooooooh so many hints, starting from when James Pren as the new Blue Rider touches the Evershard... Smile

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2113&start=60

Havard Wrote:Basically I am thinking there could be a Pre-Ice Age civilization ala Conan's Hyperboria, which would correspond to Kelnore. The WL region would not have been covered by the Ice Age (though probably weakened by it) thus making room for the Kelnoran Successor states.

-Havard

[Image: SmithTheRamthePeacock.jpg]

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Freedom92 - 08-10-2012

I like the idea of magic in the stone age as being like magic in Conans Hyperboria, rare and deadly even to the user that those who crave dark powers will resort to bartering with outsiders from the Void(Macrab?) or delving into the foulest pits to bargain with cthonic entities. Possibly explore this concept of wild magic being constant except to those who use pact based deals with Patrons. You could even tie it in with star/sky metal being something to produce powerful weapons or enhance spells that could be used by primitives to fight unknown ancient horrors.

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Rafael - 08-10-2012

One basic question about ancient fantasy worlds is always, why did technology not at some point substitute magic, especially, if we talk about an era of a few millenia?

Like, not everybody is gifted in magic, but everybody can invent a wheel.

So, why does the development stall at some point?

Re: Blackmoor in the Stone Age! - Freedom92 - 08-10-2012

I could see possibly like in Conans Hyperboria, in some places where magic was absent technology did advance while places where magic held dominion(Stygia) the use of technology wasn't much popular due to the idea that slave labor could do the same, so instead of a water wheel you had slaves pushing a massive stone slab. I guess you could say its the Dominion Vs. Domination, if magic is absent in areas or the use of magic is rare that only a shaman will teach one student then yes technology could flourish to advance stone working and possibly metal working.

Though the idea that the world in which this is set permeates magic in its raw untamed state so technology might flourish in areas where magic is essentially a death trap.