The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 09-29-2021

Nikkiro Wrote:Hello, everyone!

I started playing D&D with the '77 white box, and have been a fan of Blackmoor ever since that first supplement.

My players were not fans of the TPK in the Temple of the Frog that followed, but I digress.

Looking forward to hanging out here!

Great having you here Nikkiro!

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - keonkobra - 10-25-2021

Well Hellooo!

I started playing with the red box in 1985. I got it at Waldenbooks at the Stoneridge Mall. I just got the print on demand version of the Rules Cyclopedia, and a bunch of GAZ prints, which led me to watching secrets of Blackmoor, that and watching Runehammer on YT led me here. Plans are in the works for a live and in person campaign and an online one too. Considering Worlds/Stars without Number/Godbound Blackmoor campaign and wheels are turning in the old noggin.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 10-27-2021

keonkobra Wrote:Well Hellooo!

I started playing with the red box in 1985. I got it at Waldenbooks at the Stoneridge Mall. I just got the print on demand version of the Rules Cyclopedia, and a bunch of GAZ prints, which led me to watching secrets of Blackmoor, that and watching Runehammer on YT led me here. Plans are in the works for a live and in person campaign and an online one too. Considering Worlds/Stars without Number/Godbound Blackmoor campaign and wheels are turning in the old noggin.
Helooo keon, and welcome to the Comeback Inn!

Do you have any particular themes in mind for your Blackmoor game(s)? What about the game systems you've mentioned makes them particularly Blackmoor-ready, in your opinion? I'm only passingly familiar with any of them, but I always like to learn about new systems from those actually using them. (Especially if they're used for one of the greatest settings out there!)

Re: The Hello Thread! - rredmond - 10-27-2021

Welcome keonkobra!

Re: The Hello Thread! - keonkobra - 10-27-2021

I haven't considered themes in any deep way I like the sine nomine rules that I have read so far for blackmoor because of the sci-fi and fantasy mix and that it encourages sandbox play, but my books haven't arrived yet I'm just excited to try running games again. Reading the rules cyclopedia is getting my nostalgia all jazzed up and ready to play.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 10-27-2021

keonkobra Wrote:I haven't considered themes in any deep way I like the sine nomine rules that I have read so far for blackmoor because of the sci-fi and fantasy mix and that it encourages sandbox play, but my books haven't arrived yet I'm just excited to try running games again. Reading the rules cyclopedia is getting my nostalgia all jazzed up and ready to play.
I've still got my copy of the RC I bought the week it came out. Pages are a bit yellowed around the edges, but it's still in one piece!

I ran a play by post here a few years back, set in Blackmoor at its techno-magical height, using the Alternity system. It handled the science-fantasy mix better than I thought.

Re: The Hello Thread! - keonkobra - 10-27-2021

Yeah I remember flipping through the Alternaty books. I guess choosing RC basic DnD made me seek out a new OSR sci-fi system and I liked what I read in the free version of stars/world's without number. Alternity might be better for all I know. I guess I thought I would run a Mystara game with the RC rules and try to run all the old modules that I never got to run back in the day and possibly railroad them a bit hopefully not too much and try to run blackmoor as a sandbox with all the dm tools for factions, etc and scifi options in SWN. Its still OSR so I should be able to use all the old blackmoor modules with SWN too. That's why I am excited about all the resources here.

Re: The Hello Thread! - moviemanmike - 11-02-2021

Hello All.
I am mike from Chicago, started playing '79-'80ish. Spent many summers at my grandmas lake house in Lake Geneva Always been a fan of the Blackmoor setting. Currently I do more reading then playing.

Re: The Hello Thread! - earlten - 11-02-2021

Hi there. I'm Bill, AKA eternal, aka earlten, aka Lord CoddleBeard.

I met Dave Arneson when I was ~13, and helped him pack for his move to Arizona, and have been a D&D fan ever since.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 11-04-2021

New board-goers are like the proverbial London bus -- you wait and wait, and wait, and then two show up at once! Big Grin

Welcome, mike, and Bill ( or earl?)!