The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - DrunkenChewbaka - 04-25-2020

Hello may I be added to the Balif Group. I'd like to have some fun with my friends like the good old days.

Re: The Hello Thread! - kdolunt - 04-25-2020

Hello,
My name is Chris Dolunt. Started playing D&D in the 1970s when I was in elementary school (Basic Set), but haven't played in a decade. Usually I'm a DM.

I wrote a d20 campaign setting for Atlas Games back in 2000 called "Nyambe: African Adventures". It was nominated for several awards (Origins, Diana Jones, Ennie), but didn't win any. I also created the Victorian horror game setting "Rippers" for Savage Worlds. Because of this, or maybe because I'm friends with Colin McComb (?), I apparently exist as an NPC in the Blackmoor Wizard's Cabal named "Kargas Dolunt"

Today, my 13-year-old son, bored under stay-at-home rules, finally asked me to teach him to play D&D. Said he wanted a setting with technology in it. I considered Eberron, but decided that we should start with the original D&D setting, with an extra emphasis on gadgets.
We'll be playing using 5th edition rules.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 04-26-2020

kdolunt Wrote:Hello,
My name is Chris Dolunt. Started playing D&D in the 1970s when I was in elementary school (Basic Set), but haven't played in a decade. Usually I'm a DM.

I wrote a d20 campaign setting for Atlas Games back in 2000 called "Nyambe: African Adventures". It was nominated for several awards (Origins, Diana Jones, Ennie), but didn't win any. I also created the Victorian horror game setting "Rippers" for Savage Worlds. Because of this, or maybe because I'm friends with Colin McComb (?), I apparently exist as an NPC in the Blackmoor Wizard's Cabal named "Kargas Dolunt"

Today, my 13-year-old son, bored under stay-at-home rules, finally asked me to teach him to play D&D. Said he wanted a setting with technology in it. I considered Eberron, but decided that we should start with the original D&D setting, with an extra emphasis on gadgets.

Hello Chris!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

I am a big fan of Nyambe which is why I suspected early on that you were the inspiration for the character Kargas Dount. It is so cool to have Kargas here on the forums! Smile Do you know if Kargas carries other similarities with you besides the name?

Good luck with the ventures into gaming with your son! It is cool that you guys are starting with Blackmoor. I think you could easily borrow elements from Eberron and put them into Blackmoor if your son is keen on trying out some of those ideas. I know many of us have used Eberron's Warforged to represent escaped City of the Gods Robots and allowed them to be PCs for instance.

I would love to hear more about how your campaign develops. What Blackmoor material will you be using in preparation for the campaign?

Are you doing anything in game design these days?

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Yaztromo - 04-26-2020

kdolunt Wrote:Today, my 13-year-old son, bored under stay-at-home rules, finally asked me to teach him to play D&D.
Enjoy that! 8)

Re: The Hello Thread! - kdolunt - 04-26-2020

Havard Wrote:
kdolunt Wrote:Hello,

Hello Chris!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

I am a big fan of Nyambe which is why I suspected early on that you were the inspiration for the character Kargas Dount. It is so cool to have Kargas here on the forums! Smile Do you know if Kargas carries other similarities with you besides the name?

Good luck with the ventures into gaming with your son! It is cool that you guys are starting with Blackmoor. I think you could easily borrow elements from Eberron and put them into Blackmoor if your son is keen on trying out some of those ideas. I know many of us have used Eberron's Warforged to represent escaped City of the Gods Robots and allowed them to be PCs for instance.

I would love to hear more about how your campaign develops. What Blackmoor material will you be using in preparation for the campaign?

Are you doing anything in game design these days?

-Havard

I don't really have the time or energy to create something from scratch, so I picked up a copy of "The Redwood Scar" from DTRPG, and noticed it has a LOT in common with "The Sunless Citadel". It should be easy to convert using things like the stats for Twig Blights from the 5E monster manual. My wife will be joining him as a second player, and then I'll round it out with an NPC. I also have a 17-year old son who says it's "too nerdy" for him, and a 15-year old daughter with pretty serious autism who can't speak well enough to participate, but she can sit at the table and roll the dice and move the figure for the NPC. I'm going to put a bigger emphasis on the tech/aliens, how it contrasts with the elves and nature, and make the Scar some kind of alien life form that landed in a meteor like the Blob.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 04-26-2020

I've noticed that 5e is super easy with regards to conversions from every prior edition. It's rules-light enough that BECMI and 1 & 2e convert just as easily as crunchier 3.x and 4th.

The rules for modern/alien tech in the DMG should be enough for turning up the sci-fi elements. And as Havard said, warforged from Eberron are a perfect fit for City of the Gods goodness, as either sci-fi robots or sci-fantasy magical-mechanical men.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Yaztromo - 04-26-2020

kdolunt Wrote:I don't really have the time or energy to create something from scratch, so I picked up a copy of "The Redwood Scar" from DTRPG, and noticed it has a LOT in common with "The Sunless Citadel". It should be easy to convert using things like the stats for Twig Blights from the 5E monster manual. My wife will be joining him as a second player, and then I'll round it out with an NPC. I also have a 17-year old son who says it's "too nerdy" for him, and a 15-year old daughter with pretty serious autism who can't speak well enough to participate, but she can sit at the table and roll the dice and move the figure for the NPC. I'm going to put a bigger emphasis on the tech/aliens, how it contrasts with the elves and nature, and make the Scar some kind of alien life form that landed in a meteor like the Blob.
Have a look at the MMRPG section of this website and you will find prequels and sequels associated to the Redwood Scar (i.e. the Redwood Saga): it is really very good stuff.

Re: The Hello Thread! - mallachain - 05-03-2020

HI,

I've been playing D&D since I was first introduced to it in Junior High in the dim and distant past.

In the last few years, I've been reading up on the history of the creation of the game and its designers, which is how I ended up backing the Secrets of Blackmoor.

Re: The Hello Thread! - acedrummer - 05-04-2020

Hello! Introducing myself to group.

I been a gamer since 1977. Started on Avalon Hill games in my teens when I lived in Iowa. Found a book store game shop in Des Moines that had games and the owner convinced that I should try this new game D&D ( Basic Edition: Holmes). Been hooked every since. Now living north of Pittsburgh and gaming at least once a week.

Thanks for let me join the conversation.

Chuck

Re: The Hello Thread! - kdolunt - 05-11-2020

Yaztromo Wrote:
kdolunt Wrote:I don't really have the time or energy to create something from scratch, so I picked up a copy of "The Redwood Scar" from DTRPG, and noticed it has a LOT in common with "The Sunless Citadel". It should be easy to convert using things like the stats for Twig Blights from the 5E monster manual. My wife will be joining him as a second player, and then I'll round it out with an NPC. I also have a 17-year old son who says it's "too nerdy" for him, and a 15-year old daughter with pretty serious autism who can't speak well enough to participate, but she can sit at the table and roll the dice and move the figure for the NPC. I'm going to put a bigger emphasis on the tech/aliens, how it contrasts with the elves and nature, and make the Scar some kind of alien life form that landed in a meteor like the Blob.
Have a look at the MMRPG section of this website and you will find prequels and sequels associated to the Redwood Scar (i.e. the Redwood Saga): it is really very good stuff.

Thanks. I'll take a look. I started with a modified version of Castle Blackmoor level 1 (d20 version), so I can get them up to level 2 before I drop them into the Redwood Scar adventure. It's going well so far!