The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - namfoodles - 05-06-2019

Havard Wrote:Hello there Nick!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn! Smile

Do you still play D&D/AD&D?

-Havard

Here and there. Hoping to start a regular group when I move to Omaha in August. Lots of old grognards in the area! I am actually interested in trying out Strategos or some game like it as well. Been getting together a dungeon for DCC as I get ready to move.

Re: The Hello Thread! - systems - 05-20-2019

Hi,

I'm a lapsed player who started with the Mentzer Red Box in '85-'86, moved on to Mentzer Expert (accidentally mixing these with Moldvay/Cook editions) and then AD&D 1st Edition. After that I stopped all D&D because "it was unrealistic" and went through RuneQuest, Call of Cthulhu, Warhammer, MERP, Vampire, Shadowrun and the like before ending back with D&D 3.0 (and 3.5). Skipped D&D 4 and 5 completely and now I'm heading back to where it all started with Chainmail, OD&D, Outdoor Survival and the Dragon Magazine Archive CD.

I'm especially fond of the old school revival movement and have bought a ton of stuff from DriveThruRPG (all of the MicroLites, Basic Fantasy, BX Essentials, Labyrinth Lord, Delving Deeper, Blueholme, Dark Dungeons). I don't play any of them, I just enjoy reading it all.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise what a big part Dave had in the origins of D&D until after he died. I'm still learning about it now (it's very revealing how little of the Dragon Magazine Archive mentions him).

Re: The Hello Thread! - Xylarthen - 05-24-2019

Hello there,

I've been playing D&D since around 1987 - started with a brief session of Advanced D&D where I remember being attacked (and killed) by 3 bugbears.

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the other players continue the session. Despite my early exit, I was hooked.

I picked up the Mentzer red box. Ran some games in my high school library.

Then got into 2nd edition AD&D until about 1993, when time would no longer permit me to continue with the game due to technical school and work.

In 2001, I heard about 3rd edition and got back into it, but really didn't care for the current game rules at the time. I searched for old 2nd edition books and picked them up whenever I could find them.

The next year I started getting heavy into collecting the older D&D materials. I picked up an OCE white box on Ebay, which really got me serious about it. My collection has grown over the years since then; I own about 70% of every D&D game related item ever produced by TSR and Wizards of the Coast, including most of the rares (Palace of the Vampire Queen, Lost Caverns of Tsojconth, a 2nd print wood grain box, etc.). Also have almost all the Judges Guild materials.

I've been playing regularly again since 2007. Was focused mostly on Greyhawk campaigns, until I picked up Jon Peterson's book Playing at the World in 2012. At that point, I got crazy about Blackmoor; I spent one and a half years researching the setting (reading all the published materials, scouring the 'Net, and writing copious notes). I wanted to run a campaign that was as canonical as possible to Dave's original game.

Last year, I finally started my Blackmoor Play-by-E-Mail campaign, which is still going. It is currently using strict OD&D rules with Chainmail "Combat Tables" combat, but I plan to slowly add to the rules as we go (next addition will be Gary Switzer's original Thief class!).

Anyways, that's my story - thanks Havard for sharing all of your hard work; they have helped immensely in my studies!

- Xylarthen

Re: The Hello Thread! - gsvenson - 05-25-2019

Welcome, Xylarthen. There is allot of material here that you can use.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 05-25-2019

Welcome to the boards Xylarthen!

And thank you for the kind words!

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - MooseAnime - 05-27-2019

It has been a while since I have been here.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 05-27-2019

MooseAnime Wrote:It has been a while since I have been here.

Hello MooseAnime! Thanks for delurking!

Feel like sharing anything about yourself or your interest in Blackmoor? Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - theredcub - 05-27-2019

Hello there, everyone.

Looking forward to exploring everything Blackmoor. It'll be fun to finally get my players back in time and explore Mystara before the Great Rain of Fire.

I DM a small group near Tacoma and it's been a challenge to find players that don't play 3rd or 5th edition. Hope everyone has had better fare.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 05-27-2019

theredcub Wrote:Hello there, everyone.

Looking forward to exploring everything Blackmoor. It'll be fun to finally get my players back in time and explore Mystara before the Great Rain of Fire.

I DM a small group near Tacoma and it's been a challenge to find players that don't play 3rd or 5th edition. Hope everyone has had better fare.

Hello theredcub! Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

Would love to hear more about your campaign. We have a forum for campaign journals here.

My group plays mostly BECMI and 5th Edition these days, though we have tried out almost every edition of D&D at one point. The most important thing is to have a good time though! Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - BryanLeeDavidson - 05-27-2019

Hello folks! My name is Bryan.

I live in Romania but I will be moving back to America for a bit.

I was 8 when I started playing RPGs.

Now I do a lot of solo gaming.

Excited about being here! Big Grin