The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 04-15-2019

Riaghan Wrote:I know some settings can be quite dense. My current favorite is Pete Spahn's Amherth. Curious what a setting vet would suggest I focus my research on first to really know the setting without getting overwhelmed, if that's possible. My first guess is head to the Archives site, but open to suggestions.

Hello Riaghan!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

You are lucky, living in the Twin Cities. You should look up the guys who played with Dave Smile

Feel free to explore the Blackmoor Archives and this forum. Other than that, I think the D20 Dave Arneson's Blackmoor sourcebook is a pretty good introduction to the setting.

Some of the books from the 70s and 80s are awesome too, but not as well organized for a beginner IMO. It depends a lot on your tastes and what you are used to though.

Let us know what you think and how we can make this place better. Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Serpenthrope - 04-22-2019

Um, hi. Just a nerd looking for adventures.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Dankerbug - 04-23-2019

Hello!

I'm a uni student from Kentucky and I have had an interest in TSR and the OSR scene for a few years now! My researching into Blackmoor led me to this forum and it's been interesting to read through all that's on here. Thanks for having me!

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 04-24-2019

Dankerbug Wrote:Hello!

I'm a uni student from Kentucky and I have had an interest in TSR and the OSR scene for a few years now! My researching into Blackmoor led me to this forum and it's been interesting to read through all that's on here. Thanks for having me!

Hello Dankenbug!

Welcome to the Comeback Inn! The members here have more info on Blackmoor and Dave Arneson between us than most people realize, but very few people ask. I always find that interesting.

Anyway, what else do you like in D&D? Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Dankerbug - 04-24-2019

Havard Wrote:Hello Dankenbug!

Welcome to the Comeback Inn! The members here have more info on Blackmoor and Dave Arneson between us than most people realize, but very few people ask. I always find that interesting.

Anyway, what else do you like in D&D? Smile

-Havard

It's a good social activity to do with friends that lends itself to a bit of creativity and potentially some memorable stories. Plus I'm a history major so it allows me an outlet to play out little historically inspired scenarios. What about you? What grabs ya about D&D?

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 04-25-2019

Dankerbug Wrote:It's a good social activity to do with friends that lends itself to a bit of creativity and potentially some memorable stories. Plus I'm a history major so it allows me an outlet to play out little historically inspired scenarios. What about you? What grabs ya about D&D?
Hey, Dankerbug, as Havard said earlier, welcome to the Comeback Inn!

I've always liked telling stories, so D&D and other RPGs are a perfect fit for sharing those with my friends. (and even better when they're engaged in those stories...)

I am also a writer. There is quite a bit of similarity between "normal" writing and adventure writing and then playing, since -- in both cases -- the characters tend to take things off in completely different directions than I'd initially envisioned. Big Grin

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 04-25-2019

Dankerbug Wrote:It's a good social activity to do with friends that lends itself to a bit of creativity and potentially some memorable stories. Plus I'm a history major so it allows me an outlet to play out little historically inspired scenarios. What about you? What grabs ya about D&D?

D&D is awesome. I got hooked one day in the 80s when I walked down the stairs to the basement of a friend of mine and a bunch of my other friends were down there rolling dice.

I am also a history major BTW! I wonder how much love for D&D influenced my decisions when it came to an education.

I am a fan of all editions of D&D. I never understood why people need to dig ditches and define their love for the hobby as different from others. We are all D&D gamers. Exploring every edition going back to 1974 and what Dave Arneson and his group did even years before that has really added new appreciation for the hobby! Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Dankerbug - 04-26-2019

Havard Wrote:D&D is awesome. I got hooked one day in the 80s when I walked down the stairs to the basement of a friend of mine and a bunch of my other friends were down there rolling dice.

I am also a history major BTW! I wonder how much love for D&D influenced my decisions when it came to an education.

I am a fan of all editions of D&D. I never understood why people need to dig ditches and define their love for the hobby as different from others. We are all D&D gamers. Exploring every edition going back to 1974 and what Dave Arneson and his group did even years before that has really added new appreciation for the hobby! Smile

-Havard

What area of history did you focus in? Also I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment about editions. I only have hands on play experience with newer D&D but I've always had an interest in older stuff and would enjoy trying older editions out or at the very least taking some elements and mixing them in with the new.

Re: The Hello Thread! - namfoodles - 05-05-2019

Hi all,

My name is Nick. I am an Assistant Professor over at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I've been in and around tabletop games for a large portion of my life. I started with 2nd edition though i've been playing each of them here and there as I can. I just finished my PhD back in 2018. What a year it's been since then!

Way back in...1998/99? I was an admin at gamingoutpost.com. It was a super popular place back when RPG.net had been sold off to some tech bros and looked like it was going to close. I decided to go back to college around 2005 after my life had mostly fallen apart. Now i'm back and writing about Dungeons and Dragons and PLATO.

I met Griff via Twitter and some other folks in the history of D&D over the years. I have some free time this summer and so I wanted to try and start a side-project about programming education via D&D. Need to establish a position first, though.

Nice to meet you all!

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 05-06-2019

Hello there Nick!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn! Smile

Do you still play D&D/AD&D?

-Havard