The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - kafka - 10-25-2018

Hello!

I am a librarian with a strong interest in the history of RPGs, in fact, my day job does involve the collecting and preserving of RPGs. I come to Blackmoor through Greyhawk and possibly Known World map back in the Isle of Dread when I ran a AD&D 1e group back in the early 1980s to about 1988. After selling off my entire collection for a song, I did get back into RPGs in the early 2000s. Have not been able to get an AD&D group together but I have been fascinated how the imagined worlds of Arneson and Gygax shaped fantasy fiction. I think that I have a good handle on Greyhawk - although - I was baffled what happened in 3e and beyond. Looking to perhaps set my games in a simpler Old School milieu which naturally draws me to Blackmoor. Thanks for letting me in. Hope that I can build up a collection of fan products as well get a sense from the Official renditions...and who knows maybe even convince my players to take a romp in the City of the Gods.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 10-26-2018

Welcome to the Comeback Inn, kafka!

There's plenty of information to sift through here, and also on the "parent" site, the Blackmoor Archives. Havard sort of collects this stuff, so I hear Wink

If you don't already know, a handful of Arneson's original players still post here, from time to time, and their recollections are some of my favorite bits from this place.

Did you use Blackmoor in your early AD&D campaign(s)? It'd be great if you could share memories/experiences.

Re: The Hello Thread! - ShandyAndy - 11-01-2018

Greetings and Salutations fellow adventurers!

I'm a D&D RPGer from the 1980s returning to the fold after excursions into many other RPG systems. I feel I've returned to my spiritual home of AD&D 1e & D&D B/X

I look forward to discovering more about Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign world!

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 11-01-2018

Hello Kafka and ShandyAndy!

How did you guys hear about this place? Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - ShandyAndy - 11-01-2018

Havard Wrote:Hello .. ShandyAndy!
Thanks!

Havard Wrote:How did you guys hear about this place? Smile
I saw the link via a blog article I was reading earlier. I've read quite a few today so I'm sorry but I can't remember which one

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 11-01-2018

ShandyAndy Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Hello .. ShandyAndy!
Thanks!

Havard Wrote:How did you guys hear about this place? Smile
I saw the link via a blog article I was reading earlier. I've read quite a few today so I'm sorry but I can't remember which one

No problem, just curious about how people find us Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - matroxlusch - 11-06-2018

Hello, Harvard!

Hmmm, my first exposure to Blackmoor was Spring of 1983 at my friend and dungeon master John Savoy's apartment on Railroad Avenue in Livermore, California.

[Image: AF1QipNS7OmN9TOmjpkFEHm0_Gf_yCNrtW6p-0d8bL_6]

Presently I am running our current group through kind of a post-apocalyptic dystopian Blackmoor using the same idea of some catastrophic event related to the City of the Gods, also knocking the planet off kilter, but sticking with the Wilderlands rather than Mystara. I am making my own hand-drawn map at 20 miles per hex that will include the areas of Judges Guild Blackmoor, Wilderlands Veridistan and Valley of the Ancients, and, west of Blackmoor, Rob Conley's "Wild North" from Fight On! #3 (2008).

The whole north is in an ice age and the party is sort of south from the old Duchy of Ten having encountered super xenophobic and cannibalistic Westryn elves. The Temple of the Frog God is still hanging out there in the now-frozen swamp (the delta rivers are all smooth, snow-filled valleys since the sea level dropped from larger ice caps). And of course Egg of Coot.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 11-07-2018

Hello Matroxlucsh!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

Your attached picture doesn't work right now. Maybe you can fix it?

The Wilderlands is a great setting. I would love to hear more about your campaign! What PCs do you have in your group?

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Malchor - 11-21-2018

Hello,

Some of you may know me from DF and ODD74 where I post on occasion. I'm still catching up on posts here and mostly here to soak up information.

I'm curious about Arneson and the whole Twin Cities crew—as well as MAR Barker, the gamers in his group, and the Duluth gamers.

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 11-22-2018

Welcome to the Comeback Inn, Malchor!