The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - RobJN - 07-22-2018

Ebon Hearted Soul Wrote:Hello, my name if Matthew, but you can call me Ebon Hearted Soul & I am from Hillsboro, Oregon. I've been a fan of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor for years ever since I bought his 3.5 version of the campaign setting; though I've grown to enjoy the humorous feel of the Judge's Guild FFC; the 3.5 BM setting is still my favorite version. I have also grown to be a fan of OD&D, B/X D&D and their respective clones; which are now my default rules to run games in. I am hoping to have many wonderful conversations here about Blackmoor in the years to come. I have a blog that I'll be posting on for a potential OD&D based setting mash up that will include Blackmoor in the near future.
Welcome to the Comeback Inn, Matthew/Eb (I am lazy, what can I say?)

Have you managed to get hold of the DA series of adventure modules? These were the B/X/BECMI/RC version of the setting. I'm vaguely familiar with the 3.5 version of the book(s), but haven't read them with the same depth that I've given the older D&D modules.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Ebon Hearted Soul - 07-22-2018

I think I might have the DA series but will have to check my PDFs to be sure. If not I'll get them asap, so i can see if they have any lore or mechanics I could use with OD&D or B/X D&D when I run a Blackmoor based campaign in whatever form is available. I am intrigued by the 'Throne of Stars' PnP being run here that was linked to the Blackmoor Fans group on FB.

Re: The Hello Thread! - gazelle024 - 08-15-2018

Hello, although this is not a job interview, I would like to go into my history in D&D. It all started in January 1979 when upon returning to college after the Christmas break I was introduced to D&D through the Holmes Basic Set. I then rolled up my first character, a Magic-User named Maxwell who later became known for his Silver Hammer spells. It so happened I rolled an 18 Intelligence and then it was off to explore the ruins of the Tower of Zenopus. I then became aware of AD&D through seeing the Monster Manual for the first time. I joined a couple groups who were playing and then upon the summer break I returned to my small home town and quickly put together a group to play. Because I was the first to introduce it to my small home town I became known as The DM. For a long time very few in my home town called me by my actual name. Of course nearly 40 years later time has moved on and my now grown children play. My niece for some years worked in a gaming store.

As it is I love all things Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Kalibruhn. In those early days I gabbed up everything that TSR or the Judges Guild came out with. Those were the days of much patience as we waited for modules to come out that continued stories we had already begun. Often we resorted to just creating our own stuff, but we preferred the official material. These days we still search for whatever info we can find and ideas to fill in holes. It doesn't matter all that much which edition we play as we have played them all at one time or another although we have played AD&D 1st Edition and D&D d20 3rd Edition most of all. As far as 5th Edition I certainly enjoy watching Critical Role and other streams. I think it is an exciting time for D&D as it feels as if it has entered the mainstream and is no longer a fringe community. One of the reasons for this I see is how welcoming the D&D community is to new players and diversity. Rules lawyers are discouraged in favor of making the experience as positive as possible. People are looking for communities like this and to me it is a form of community development. It is one of just a view communities that is so positive that I have found.

The number one thing I keep in mind is "are you having a good time?" I use that as a mantra....

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 08-16-2018

Hello Gazelle! Welcome to the Comeback Inn! Smile

Great to hear about your history with our hobby!

What are you doing in gaming these days? What parts of Blackmoor interest you the most?

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - gazelle024 - 08-16-2018

Havard Wrote:Hello Gazelle! Welcome to the Comeback Inn! Smile

Great to hear about your history with our hobby!

What are you doing in gaming these days? What parts of Blackmoor interest you the most?

-Havard

In recent years I have become aware of the various groups showing their games on Youtube. I started with Force Grey and then Matthew Mercer's Critical Role campaign. I watched some of Vox Machina and then jumped into the new Mighty
Nein as soon as that started. I watched all of the Stream of Annihilation and most recently Stream of Many Eyes. This is mostly to get familiar with 5th Edition.

It's been a while since the group I was formerly played with all went their separate ways and that was 3rd Edition. I was running a game for my children then too. Since then my son has been playing with his friends and one of my nieces was working in a gaming store during 4th Edition.

When I ran campaigns I always used Greyhawk except for a run in Dragonlance. As a player I have played in Forgotten Realms, Kalamar, Ravenlodt and a bit of Dark Sun. For a while in between I did some play by mail too. I also played in some Gurps games, Judge Dredd, DC Super Heroes, Shadowrun, Vampire The Masquerade and some other super hero game (either Villains and Vigilantes, Champions or Heroes Unlimited I don't recall). I am sure there are some other things I don't recall. I worked for a time at Chips and Bits Inc selling a lot of these dames as well. Of course there are lots of video and computer games as well starting with Ultima III, Asventure and Zork.

I have a great love of all the early stuff. I started playing in the Holmes Basic D&D partial example dungeon The Tower of Zenopus and went on to In Search of the Unknown, Keep on the Borderlans and The Village of Hommlet. Iy was a mix of Holmes D&D and 1st Edition AD&D. I got a hold of the White Box and it's supplements as well as Chain Mail and anything else from The Judges Guild and Dragon Magazine I could find. I became aware of not just Greyhawk, but Blackmoor as well. Blackmoor for me was in the Greyhawk world and through research I have become aware of Blackmoor's connections with Greyhawk, Mystara and Wilderlands of High Fantasy from The Judges Guild.

I have become very interested of late in all the works of E Gary Gygax, Robert Kuntz and Dave Arneson and their original campaigns, so I have come upon this site and others. I have gotten a hold of Rob Kuntz' El Raja Key and I find a lot of his works are hard to find. I lament on the passing of Gary and Dave. Gary was putting out products on his original Castle Greyhawk although it was being called Castle Zagyg and unfortunately that was never finished and what products there were are now difficult to find at a reasonable price. Hopefully Gary's widow might decide to work something out for this project to start up again. I'm sure she means to monetize this at some point if she can work out some deal where she gets what she believes it's worth. I know that Dave was putting out some products and I wonder what might have been left undone there too. I became aware of Rob's Kalibruhn setting that TSR and Gary never wanted to put out although various products have appeared. I feel there has always been a connection between these three settings as these three men ran adventures for each other at times and worked together with others to form TSR and bring this to us. In 1979 I could not begin to put a lot of this together, but today there are resources available here and elsewhere online that make things possible that were unimaginable back in that day.

Today I am working on some ideas for a setting for my wife to play in. She is multi-racial and has a bit of most everything in her family history, but she has particular interests in the black experience, American Indian and perhaps the Islands of the Caribbean and diversity in particular, so I've been looking at the Mythology and legends of these peoples. I have noted in recent years more diversity in the D&D community and more women too. I am amazed at how D&D has been coming more and more from out of the shadows. Hearing people talking about playing D&D with their parents around the table after dinner like I used to play cards and board games as a child tells me this has become a normal part of the experience growing up in many homes. No longer are we off in the basement on the fringes.

Re: The Hello Thread! - BishonenPrincess - 08-23-2018

Hello everyone! I figure I ought to just jump right into this introduction post!

My name is Rose, and I'm in my late 20s. I have wanted to get into Tabletop RPG for as long as I've known about it, but have been too overwhelmed to tackle the expansive beast on my own. Jump to last year when I met my boyfriend, who is a huge fan of tabletop RPG! He has taken the time to teach me so much and I've been loving learning more about all the different systems, campaigns, etc etc.

In particular I've grown fond of OD&D, and so naturally I've been very interested in Mystara and Blackmoor!

I'm still "new" I suppose, as only one year isn't that much time compared to people who have been playing for decades! But I'm so eager and excited to expand my knowledge and meet more people within this fandom!

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 08-25-2018

BishonenPrincess Wrote:Hello everyone! I figure I ought to just jump right into this introduction post!

My name is Rose, and I'm in my late 20s. I have wanted to get into Tabletop RPG for as long as I've known about it, but have been too overwhelmed to tackle the expansive beast on my own. Jump to last year when I met my boyfriend, who is a huge fan of tabletop RPG! He has taken the time to teach me so much and I've been loving learning more about all the different systems, campaigns, etc etc.

In particular I've grown fond of OD&D, and so naturally I've been very interested in Mystara and Blackmoor!

I'm still "new" I suppose, as only one year isn't that much time compared to people who have been playing for decades! But I'm so eager and excited to expand my knowledge and meet more people within this fandom!

Hello BishonenPrincess!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

Tell us about your character? Smile Have you had a go at DMing yet?

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Starwolf - 09-10-2018

Hi, I'm Harry West aka Starwolf and I have been lurking at forums for years and years and I've started joining recently. That's mainly because I got a copy of the First Fantasy Campaign off of eBay and found that I wanted to know more about Blackmoor. So I gradually found my way here. This forum doesn't have a profile as prominent as it should be, so I am going to put you in my signature other places. I started gaming with AD&D and worked my way forward to the beginning from there.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 09-11-2018

Starwolf Wrote:Hi, I'm Harry West aka Starwolf and I have been lurking at forums for years and years and I've started joining recently. That's mainly because I got a copy of the First Fantasy Campaign off of eBay and found that I wanted to know more about Blackmoor. So I gradually found my way here. This forum doesn't have a profile as prominent as it should be, so I am going to put you in my signature other places. I started gaming with AD&D and worked my way forward to the beginning from there.

Hello Harry!

Welcome to thge Comeback Inn! I hope you like it here! Thanks for wanting to support this place.

What do you think about the First Fantasy Campaign so far? Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - ffilz - 09-14-2018

I'm not sure if I've said Hi here before...

I've been a fan of Blackmoor since the 70s and managed to get Dave to sign my copy of The First Fantasy Campaign. Along with the Wilderlands, it's one of my favorite fantasy settings.

Frank Filz