The Comeback Inn
The Hello Thread! - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Zvenzen's Freehold - General Chat (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Hello Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 03-27-2015

Welcome back TAD! Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Vile - 03-28-2015

Hello again. Although I'm not sure we met here before. I get confused. Tongue

Re: The Hello Thread! - Jacobite - 09-06-2015

I was asked to introduce myself here. I was active on Dragonsfoot and some old Grognard boards under a few variants of this name over a decade ago. Havard was already a legend back then! I have been playing D&D and AD&D on and off since 1982 and I have been Dungeon Mastering my own World of Bardsville setting since 1984. I own hard copies of every D&D/AD&D product published by TSR prior to 1989 except Wilderness Geomorphs, Orange B3, ST1, and the set of PC sheets with the rare cover. I have never played any newer edition beyond a few sessions of 2E in the early 1990s

I recently decided to again position the islands where my campaign takes place in the context of a classic campaign world. Which one? Mystara has not aged well in my opinion. Too many of the Gazetteers are overly humorous and even as a child I could not swallow the 15+ ham-fisted allegorical world cultures living side-by-side in a land the size of Kentucky. Forgotten Realms is far too overpowered and magic heavy for my tastes. Greyhawk, even in its folio form, is too overdeveloped. I love Greyhawk, but I don't need Gods and ethnic histories fully plotted out for me. If I stuck my Isles on Oerth I would be playing Greyhawk, not my own campaign. I have also borrowed (directly lifted) liberally from all of these settings over the years, which would cause conflicts.

That left me with Blackmoor. I had never seriously looked at Blackmoor, even though I have the DA modules and the FFC. I looked into it late last month and I was VERY IMPRESSED with what I saw. It was perfect for my purposes and fit in well with existing facts of my campaign, which included mention of: 1. A Great Northern Continent 2. A decadent Empire with a break off kingdom in the North 3. A jihadist ethnicity attacking civilization 4. A "pantheon" of largely monotheistic Gods. I saw I could drop my Isles well to the east of Thonia. I am currently reading through FFC and the DA modules and tweaking my home campaign documents to integrate them with Blackmoor around the year 1024. I intend to run the DA series with native Blackmoor PCs this fall/winter.

I took a look at the D20 and the 4e Blackmoor supplements and they do not seem to me to be canon in the same way FFC/DA are. Has this been discussed? I look forward to discussing Blackmoor with you all.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Yaztromo - 09-06-2015

Welcome and all the very best for your new / rebooted campaign!

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 09-09-2015

Jacobite Wrote:I was asked to introduce myself here. I was active on Dragonsfoot and some old Grognard boards under a few variants of this name over a decade ago. Havard was already a legend back then! I have been playing D&D and AD&D on and off since 1982 and I have been Dungeon Mastering my own World of Bardsville setting since 1984. I own hard copies of every D&D/AD&D product published by TSR prior to 1989 except Wilderness Geomorphs, Orange B3, ST1, and the set of PC sheets with the rare cover. I have never played any newer edition beyond a few sessions of 2E in the early 1990s

I recently decided to again position the islands where my campaign takes place in the context of a classic campaign world. Which one? Mystara has not aged well in my opinion. Too many of the Gazetteers are overly humorous and even as a child I could not swallow the 15+ ham-fisted allegorical world cultures living side-by-side in a land the size of Kentucky. Forgotten Realms is far too overpowered and magic heavy for my tastes. Greyhawk, even in its folio form, is too overdeveloped. I love Greyhawk, but I don't need Gods and ethnic histories fully plotted out for me. If I stuck my Isles on Oerth I would be playing Greyhawk, not my own campaign. I have also borrowed (directly lifted) liberally from all of these settings over the years, which would cause conflicts.

Great having you here Jacobite! Is there any information about Bardsville anywhere on the web? I would be interested in hearing about how you plan on integrating it with Blackmoor too.

Quote:That left me with Blackmoor. I had never seriously looked at Blackmoor, even though I have the DA modules and the FFC. I looked into it late last month and I was VERY IMPRESSED with what I saw. It was perfect for my purposes and fit in well with existing facts of my campaign, which included mention of: 1. A Great Northern Continent 2. A decadent Empire with a break off kingdom in the North 3. A jihadist ethnicity attacking civilization 4. A "pantheon" of largely monotheistic Gods. I saw I could drop my Isles well to the east of Thonia. I am currently reading through FFC and the DA modules and tweaking my home campaign documents to integrate them with Blackmoor around the year 1024. I intend to run the DA series with native Blackmoor PCs this fall/winter.

I took a look at the D20 and the 4e Blackmoor supplements and they do not seem to me to be canon in the same way FFC/DA are. Has this been discussed? I look forward to discussing Blackmoor with you all.

I totally agree with you that the DA modules are excellent. They don't get nearly the love that they deserve. I think canon is a problematic term and usually only causes grief when it comes up, but some are more fans of the older material and some are more fans of the 3E/4E material. I think what to use and what not to use from all of these books deserves a topic of its own. Feel free to start one and I will gladly pitch in! Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Jacobite - 09-10-2015

Havard Wrote:...Is there any information about Bardsville anywhere on the web? I would be interested in hearing about how you plan on integrating it with Blackmoor too.

I had a Bardsville website up at the turn of the millennium, but it was an Angelfire website and it is long gone. I have the HTML files still, but the material is too dated to bother with. There are probably quite a few anecdotes and maybe some material in the archives of Dragonsfoot's boards.

I have been working on a Gazetteer of sorts for a few years and was more or less done with it when I stumbled on the Blackmoor angle. I have gone back to the drawing board on some sections. Since big chunks of it are lifted from published material, I cant make it widely available when it's complete. I will be happy, however, to send you a .pdf copy when it's finished.

Re: The Hello Thread! - rredmond - 09-19-2015

Howdy Jacobite!
--Ron--

Re: The Hello Thread! - superkat - 03-05-2016

Hello, all--

Some will easily decipher my moniker and deduce my identity quickly. Others may not, or may not even be aware of my forums personae. (Which is probably a good thing! :lol: )

I'd like to begin, here, by leaving all baggage I may have accumulated in the past...in the past. With one exception: I am very proud of the series of adventures I designed and independently published between 2008 and 2012. Some folks might recall them (the G4-5-6-7-8-9); some might even have one or more of them.

That said--

since retiring from most community activity, I have become focused on the Original rules game, and my own adaptation of its guidelines in creating my own campaign world (see OD&D Campaigns & House Rules/RuinsofMurkhill forum). So I spend much of my time there, doing this.

But I'm also curious to interact with folk that are looking for that original magic. You know, the awe and inspiration felt when you first adventured, running a character back in the day (before 1E and its sequels).

And, especially, with those from the Twin Cities campaign.

Well, I don't want to over-state my 'hello' so, that's about it. Hope to be chatting with y'all soon.

Re: The Hello Thread! - Havard - 03-05-2016

superkat Wrote:Hello, all--

Hi there! Good to finally see you in this forum. Smile

Welcome!

If your main interest is in the original 1970s Blackmoor, then the Original Campaign Forum will probably be the one you will get the most out of.

I post alot in the General Blackmoor Forum, but that has a good mix of the older Blackmoor and also the more recent d20 line as well as everything in between.

Feel free to explore the forum and let us know what you think! Smile

-Havard

Re: The Hello Thread! - Yaztromo - 03-06-2016

Welcome!