The Comeback Inn
[Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writers) - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writers) (/showthread.php?tid=1924)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-06-2018

...Did I think that there had been more to this!! Big Grin

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.de/201 ... -king.html

You don't have your AoI threads collected somewhere, or do you? Smile

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - aldarron - 04-06-2018

Rafael Wrote:...But the Id monster, IIRC, as PLAYED in the original campaign, and in subsequent installments of the setting, is the Disruptor Beast, as created by A. E. Van Voigt in "The Voyage of the Space Beagle", which by itself, is a fascination document of mid-century sci-fi... But completely unrelated to "Forbidden Planet". - So, which way do you want to go? Smile

I know that was proposed somewhere but I don't think that is correct. The Id monster seems to have been adapted by Gygax as the invisible stalker (I imagine).

Anyway if you read the descriptions in the FFC, it seems to compare well with Svenson's Yth'yl from Tonisborg. (also from an old book).

Here are the stats (OD&D) I've come up with - please feel free to criticize/comment:

YTH'YL
(Svenson Tonisborg, FFC ID monster)

% in Lair: 100%
Numbers: 1
Move: 18”
Alignment: neutral
Dexterity 18
Armor Class: 2
Hit Dice: 20
Attacks: 1
Damage: 3d6 + special
Treasure Type: A

The Ylth'yl is a shimmering creature of pure energy. sometimes summoned as a guardian in the manner of an invisible stalker. The touch of the Ylth'yl causes immediate unconsciousness if a Type III (paralysis) saving throw is failed. When the Ylth'yl encounters a party, there is a minimum 1/6 chance on any successful attack that it will open it's mouth incredibly wide, engulf and swallow the victim in one swift move. That person will later awaken completely naked in a predetermined place. The Ylth'yl apparently digests the possessions.

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-06-2018

Writing from the phone, which makes this *fun*, and part of my enthusiasm might come from how wonderfully this distracts me from my impending flu shot, but... Why didn't we ever do the AoI thing? At least talk it through a bit more?

Sounds pretty cool, and is a fresh take on a setting that otherwise honestly feels a little bit crowded, already. I mean, internal coherence would be an issue to wrestle with, for sure, but it would make for a scenario that could be interesting to explore.

The main problem I personally would see with that setting would be, again, that you can't make Blackmoor a place where there is consistent and potentially life-altering trouble - because otherwise, you have the old paradox that nobody sane would want to live on the border to Mordor.

But for a more social, game-of-thrones-y approach to roleplaying, this could be pretty sweet. Thinking "Blades in the Dark", and the like.

Here is a map that Havard did a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8253

What would look differently, there, as opposed to a 9th-century map of BM, I don't know, but I'd say, Starport and the Ten might not yet be there, and perhaps the halfling problem might, well, be more of a problem. Interestingly enough, this would also mean that there is a land connection to Bartertown. ...So, are the Skandaharians simply Thonians? Smile

...I hate needles. I'm tattooed all over, at this point, but the needle never stops to frighten me.

/Rafe out

Aldarron Wrote:I know that was proposed somewhere but I don't think that is correct. The Id monster seems to have been adapted by Gygax as the invisible stalker (I imagine).

That would make sense, especially when looking at the earliest info on the Temple. I recently looked into something like this - not "The Thing from Another World", but more like "The Dunwich Horror". I like the idea.

Aldarron Wrote:Anyway if you read the descriptions in the FFC, it seems to compare well with Svenson's Yth'yl from Tonisborg. (also from an old book

...An old book that I don't remember. Tell me, please. I am facing a weekend of the grimmest paperwork, and wouldn't mind a good fantasy audiobook to listen along to... Big Grin

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - aldarron - 04-09-2018

Rafael Wrote:...An old book that I don't remember. Tell me, please. I am facing a weekend of the grimmest paperwork, and wouldn't mind a good fantasy audiobook to listen along to... Big Grin

My bad Rafe, I didn't check your post soon enough. It's Escape Across The Cosmos by Gardner Fox, published in 1964. Goodreads link https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/131842.Escape_Across_The_Cosmos

Haven't read it myself yet.

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-10-2018

Big Grin No worries. Found out that "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" got an audiobook version in the meantime, and spent the weekend recovering from the needle's bite, as well as learning everything about the nefarious Goldenbaum dynasty that I could. Big Grin

Putting that book on my reading list, though - I even think I might have already stumbled over this one. In German, like, twenty years ago, at least, when books like that were still in every public library... Hmmm. Big Grin

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 04-22-2018

Rafael Wrote:Let me rephrase, perhaps - what would be the basic ramifications of the "ecology" that the Id Monster inhabits, then? - Or, do you leave that completely to the respective DM? And how would you personally describe this in actual play?

Mind you that this is not my attempt to politely poop on what I consider a pretty great idea, and I totally agree, you can perfectly work around the subject without ever having to give deeper explanations for it. - And BM, in particular, is a setting that uses the narrative device of the "unnoticed neighbor" a lot - that, or the whole premise of a king living above an active dungeon wouldn't really work. Like, does he share the kitchen with the orcs, I wonder? Who buys the milk when it is out? Big Grin

Sorry if it seemed like I was being evasive here. I feel like sometimes if I present my version of things it just leads to an end of the discussion. So far my project has actually avoided answering this answer. I have focused on the Order of Id rather than the monster itself and where the Order got it from. It is possible that the Id Monster was even very different during the Age of Id than it was 500 years later.

I think the monster could either be an epic level Displacer Beast, or more of a being of energy. IMC I don't have a definitive answer to when the FSS Beagle crashed, but I think it is unlikely that it was the Beagle that brought the Id Monster to Blackmoor. Although this contradicts the Black Destroyer novella, so many other things are linked to the FSS Beagle, it seems it would be better to diversify a bit. Perhaps the FSS Beagle did indeed encounter such a beast on its voyage, but in this case it was actually the Priests of Id who summoned it to Blackmoor. The D20 line makes the Priests of Id, Clerics of Thanatos, which fits well for a number of reasons.

What is the exact origins of this cult? It seems it was a Thonian cult, brought with settlers to Blackmoor. Probably drawn there by the same forces which once attracted the Sar-Aigu and later the mages that started the mage wars.

Rafael Wrote:...Did I think that there had been more to this!! Big Grin

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.de/201 ... -king.html

You don't have your AoI threads collected somewhere, or do you? Smile

Indeed, there is quite a bit. I have a PDF in the works, but it is still only about half-way done Smile

-Havard

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Rafael - 04-23-2018

Nah, no worries, my friend. No shame in an unfinished concept. Remember how much just the LFC script changed between my different approaches? And that is to name just one example of when you were friendly enough to look over my shoulder and tell me stuff like "Rafe, I think the baboon army is a bit much". :wink: Smile

I am honestly mostly interested in this one because it's your baby, if you will, as I remember how you have toyed with this idea since pretty much forever. Nothing wrong with inversed storytelling, either - a very broad concept like this one, as a premise to a game, I'd honestly simply play out, and look where it might take me. As in, sort of with "The Promised Land", you look what part of the story the players want to emphasize, and then, go with it.

Canonically/"If I was to do it" I would perhaps really go with a Disruptor Beast, mainly because it's away from most modern players' expectations. I would probably also link the whole Id concept with the werewolf/shapechanger thing that seem to be the main theme Arneson/Ritchie chose for the "Upper North" - for the simple reason that it makes for simple, yet effective roleplaying scenarios. Also, it would be possible to link it to NC 1030 plot involving Glendower - perhaps even Glendower dungeon. The Thanatos connection, in contrast, I personally don't like too much - not because it wouldn't be doable, but because I didn't like how the (non-Arneson?) concept of Thanatos was pushed by the d20 line. Just not my cup of tea, even though IIRC it opens a link to the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, even.

Anyway, very interested in what you are cooking up there! I know that our PBP days are probably behind us, but this would be a game that I'd like to try... Smile

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Yaztromo - 04-23-2018

Considering that even Dave Arneson somehow avoided answering a similar question about the true nature of the Egg of Coot, I'd say that avoiding the question about the Monster of Id could be a solution perfectly fitting to the setting.

Re: [Age of Id] AoI Project? (was: Call for Blackmoor Writer - Havard - 05-10-2018

[Image: 41295150134_d9fa00aa37_c.jpg]

Click to enlarge.

Just a teaser for now, but you might see where I am going with this Smile

-Havard