The Comeback Inn
Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - Printable Version

+- The Comeback Inn (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums)
+-- Forum: The Garnet Room - Blackmoor General Forum (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Blackmoor Discussions (https://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? (/showthread.php?tid=2341)

Pages: 1 2 3

Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - Havard - 10-16-2017

Now is your chance. A group who call themselves the United Geeks of Gaming are
hosting an event in Minnesota:

Quote:"A special event at the Source Comics and Games. Blackmoor game, the game that started it all! Guest Game Master Robert Meyer hosting a game that is the first and longest running Fantasy RPG! Bring pencil, paper, and 2 six sided dice! United Geeks of Gaming has a day for role playing games! "

As most of you here will know, Robert Meyer played Robert the Bald, a powerful Wizard in Dave Arneson's campaign, and has DMed several Blackmoor games for the original group since Dave passed away. The Source is the gaming store where Dave ran many of his games.

This event takes place on October 22nd, but it looks like there will be

Now I really wish I lived in Minnesota Big Grin

-Havard

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - Yaztromo - 10-16-2017

On that day I will be flying the other way... Sad
One thing that I love is that he's suggesting to bring 2d6!!! Maybe he will play his Blackmoor adventure using the very same 2d6 ruleset that I'm using for running mine! Confusedhock:

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - finarvyn - 10-20-2017

Bummed that I'm so far away from Minnesota. After corresponding with Bob all these years, I'd love to play in a game with him. Sad

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - Zeromaru X - 10-21-2017

Right now, I really envy you guys. Positively, I mean Smile

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - Havard - 10-23-2017

Kevin posted a video from this game in the Blackmoor Fans group on Facebook. It was really more of an introduction to the game rather than the game itself. I am hoping Kevin will post more videos from the actual game later as I think he might have filmed more of it.

In the introduction video, Bob told the history of how Blackmoor came to be as he remembers it. It was interesting to hear him go through it. Even though I knew most of the facts, it was different to hear it retold by Bob. I've heard similar accounts from Wesely and Greg and read interviews with Arneson, but the differences in perspective are always interesting.

Bob mentioned:
1) Napoleonics Gaming
2) Wesely's new ideas (Braunstein). Also the basis of having all of the individual characters from noble family trees, but wanting to flesh out other individual characters as well.
3) Duane Jenkins and his Brownstone Game.
4) Dave Arneson's Game with the Troll Bridge.

I also like how he describes how "War Gamers" are the kind of people who will explore every part of a cave, run a duel etc. I think this is probably true for the Twin Cities War Gamers, but I don't know if every kind of War Gamer was as roleplaying friendly?

Also, I like the mention that Charisma/Appearance etc goes back to the War Gaming tradition of Royal family trees and having attractive sons and daughters to marry off.

-Havard

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - klintron - 10-23-2017

Havard Wrote:Also, I like the mention that Charisma/Appearance etc goes back to the War Gaming tradition of Royal family trees and having attractive sons and daughters to marry off.

Not only that, but rolling for the Charisma stat goes all the way back to pre-Braunstein games.

Another point of interest for me is that Bob is continuing the traditional of improvising rules as the game progresses. For some reason I was under the impression that when he took over the Blackmoor campaign, he used published D&D rules (3.X or maybe 4E). That's clearly not the case.

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - chirine ba kal - 10-23-2017

klintron Wrote:Another point of interest for me is that Bob is continuing the traditional of improvising rules as the game progresses. For some reason I was under the impression that when he took over the Blackmoor campaign, he used published D&D rules (3.X or maybe 4E). That's clearly not the case.

No. Bob runs the same way Dave did, and dies not use anything more 'advanced' then the original boxed version of D&D. I've seen quite a few D&D players' heads explode over this notion. Smile

Gamer at Gen Con: "So, Mr. Arneson, what edition will we be using?"
Dave, about to run Blackmoor: "Hi, I'm Dave Arneson! Nice to meet you!"

That's the way Dave taught me to run games, and I still do it that way. People seem to like it. Smile

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - klintron - 10-23-2017

chirine ba kal Wrote:No. Bob runs the same way Dave did, and dies not use anything more 'advanced' then the original boxed version of D&D. I've seen quite a few D&D players' heads explode over this notion. Smile

You can hear a murmur during the video when Bob says the game they're about to play has no rules.

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - robertthebald - 10-24-2017

I was trying to hurry up the introduction to the players (to save some time), so I abbreviated and left out some things. One game that Wesely ran that I left out has left an indelible impression on me. This was a re-enactment of the Battle of Bladensburg. If you read about the actual battle, you will see that it was a fiasco on the American side, with the commanders at cross purposes to each other. David recruited players by telling them he would be running a miniatures battle, then when we showed up he gave each of us a character (commander) to play, along with the command he had in the actual battle. He gave us just enough information (and the orders they had historically) for us to fight the battle with our command, but no real information on anyone else in the battle (this was what happened historically). We could not communicate with the other players until our commands were physically adjacent to each other. Sometimes, that was when we found out (much to our surprise) that the other player outranks us and was giving us orders that contradicted the orders that we were already trying to carry out. It was absolute chaos, and we had more fun playing that game than just about any other game we ever played. I do not remember the date on this game; David could probably provide that.

Re: Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer? - klintron - 10-24-2017

robertthebald Wrote:I was trying to hurry up the introduction to the players (to save some time), so I abbreviated and left out some things. One game that Wesely ran that I left out has left an indelible impression on me. This was a re-enactment of the Battle of Bladensburg. If you read about the actual battle, you will see that it was a fiasco on the American side, with the commanders at cross purposes to each other. David recruited players by telling them he would be running a miniatures battle, then when we showed up he gave each of us a character (commander) to play, along with the command he had in the actual battle. He gave us just enough information (and the orders they had historically) for us to fight the battle with our command, but no real information on anyone else in the battle (this was what happened historically). We could not communicate with the other players until our commands were physically adjacent to each other. Sometimes, that was when we found out (much to our surprise) that the other player outranks us and was giving us orders that contradicted the orders that we were already trying to carry out. It was absolute chaos, and we had more fun playing that game than just about any other game we ever played. I do not remember the date on this game; David could probably provide that.

Thanks so much for keeping the Blackmoor flame alive, and for posting this. I know you don't remember the date, but do you think it was before the first Braunstein?

Also, I know it was 40+ years ago, but do you happen to remember anything else about the troll session?