** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 20, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Oct 07, 2019 8:03 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2019 9:47 am 
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2019 12:32 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello There!

While new to the official membership, I have been following this forum and website for along time. Been interested in getting back into to D&D now that my daughter is interested. Haven't played actively in years, 2014 last in a AD&D2 campaign. Ran B/X, C&C campaign for her brothers in 2004-7. Been looking at Blackmoor stuff for awhile and love the feel of it and am exploring it for either ideas or direct usage. FFC has the "feel" of what I remember gaming being back in the early 80's when we started. Have looked into 5e but I don't know the ti am ready to run it. OD&D would be easier for me.

Anyway, hello!

Neal "farmer"

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am 
Lord of the Regency Council

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2019 10:30 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello everyone!

Brand new here, but not new to the hobby. Had an interest in it as a kid in the 80s, but didn’t find anyone to game with till the end of that decade. We played alot of WEG Star Wars, DC Heroes, Underground, & Earthdawn was our go to fantasy campaign, until 3rd Edition grabbed our attention. Been using 5E recently when we get the time from RL to game, but the old crew is spread pretty far afield these days.

Hadn’t done a proper game until my nephew & my niece asked me if I knew what this “DnD thing” was about. So I showed them, & they actually survived their 1st delve intact (pulled very few punches too, but these newer classes are pretty stout at 1stlvl.)

I was thinking about running them through a good old-fashioned meat-grinder. Give them a handful of level-zeros push them down a hole. I also wanted to see if they’d dig a history lesson too, & while searching the net “Secrets of Blackmoor“ showed up.

Had a blast watching it & learned a hell of a lot myself.

Funny thing is, I met Dave in 97’ or 98’ during my time at Full Sail. I was a student & he was brought in as part of a lecture. At the time it was mostly an audio/film school & most the others didn’t care about D&D, but I was thrilled & got to corner him & had a great exchange. I had no idea, at the time, about all of the strife with Gygax & that debate. (Nobody in our group really ever went to conventions or anything.) So I heard about the whole shebang from him 1st. I was too sheepish at the time to ask him to run a game for me, which is something I regretted immediately.

Had no idea he ended up teaching at the school! Missed opportunities!

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the interviews with the OG players so much I started scouring the net to see if I could find more! That led me here!

So here I am!

-Zac

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2019 4:32 am 
Comically Terrible
Comically Terrible

Welcome to the Comeback Inn, Zac!

Some of Arenson's original game crew hang out here, as well, so you'll find more recollections and such if you dig enough. There are also a few fans of the setting, as you may have guessed ;)

Follow Thorn's Chronicle | |

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2019 4:42 pm 

Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2019 7:03 pm 
Serf
Serf

I graduated in 99’ from the all-encompassing “Digital Media” program they had at the time, so I would have been free to game away! I think I met him at UFC, where FS had rented out a room for the lecture. (The FS campus was a fraction of the size it is now.)

I live near Deland, on the other side of Orlando, although my work has me traveling away for months at a time (I wire up studios & data centers) Blows my mind that I never heard he was teaching there. I would have gone back to audit some of his lectures. We only spoke for maybe 15min afterwards, but I liked him immediately, & I’ve always remembered it fondly.

Oh well! I’ve been enjoying the site immensely!

Especially the stories about those 1st games. Seeing how everyone worked out how to mold, shape, & ignore the “rules” to improve play isn’t just educational & edifying...it’s hard to describe...the experiences mirror the development of so many of us later player & dms...it’s unifying? Fraternal? Maybe it’s like getting to sit down with the Founding Fathers & getting to hear about how the Revolutionary War & how the founding of the nation really took place. Seems like a poor analogy, but it’s just incredibly interesting!

I’ll probably be lurking until I have something worthwhile to say.

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2019 3:19 am 
Serf
Serf

Hello!

Long time lurker! Started following Blackmoor back with 3.5e and though I never got a chance to play or DM a campaign, I somehow collected the entire line in some form. Nowadays I still run 3.5e and I am currently contemplating starting another campaign in Blackmoor at long last.

-DeadlyReed

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm 
Serf
Serf

[/quote]Welcome as an official member of the Comeback Inn Neal! :)

I would love to hear more about how you are introducing the hobby to your kids! :)

-Havard[/quote]

Hi Havard,

Introducing D&D to my stepsons proved to be pretty easy, back in 2004 they were 10 and 8 respectively and had of course seen LotR and really liked it. So it they grasped the idea fairly quick and even a friend got involved too. Ironically once their sister was born time wasn’t there anymore :(

My daughter on the other hand took convincing and I ultimately failed in my attempts originally. But then she was in an after school program and her friends got involved in 5Eish game and she really liked it. so now I am trying to figure out which system to use 5e,OD&D or B/X. My time of course has been a little available this fall than I thought, with work etc.

Blackmoor still may yet have a place just haven’t sorted all the details.

Cheers,

Farmer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 61  Next