** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 20, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: May 27, 2019 4:50 pm 
Serf
Serf

Also can I be added to the Bailif Group?

PostPosted: May 27, 2019 7:17 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello there!

I'm Nick, a longtime gamer from the late 70s, getting back into the classic things again. Glad to have found this forum!

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 11:54 am 
Serf
Serf

Greetings and salutations to everyone :-)

I'm a Spanish guy (although I live in Germany) that's been passionate about RPGs since age 7. I'm now 31 so you can see I'm a bit late to the golden era of D&D.

I started playing Star Wars d6 in the early/mid 90s, tweaked the system to create my own games (mostly based on Ancient Greece and Medieval Mongolia, as History has always been one of my greatest passions) and a little bit of Warhammer 1e.

After more than 10 years without playing, I decided to get back into it with my friends. Being from the generation I'm from, I knew D&D from the videogames from the 90s, which where based on 2e. So that's where I started.

Maybe because of my eternal curiosity for the beginning of things and their early development, I started to look into the origins of our hobby. I bought and ran a campaign with Mentzer's red and blue box and run a campaign in Karameikos. I kept on looking for information on the early days of the hobby.

Untik I came across how Dave refereed for the first time to Gary, and how the latter, along with Rob Kuntz, developed the Greyhawk dungeon. I'm not exaggerating when I say that was a turning point in my life. I immediately bought the white box and the supplements later on.

The style of play of the early days, the way both Gary and Dave ran their games (different styles, but same spirit), the simplicity of it all and the inspiration on sword and sorcery literature instead of in modern over-the-top movies really made something in my head click, if that makes sense.

I've been one of the backers of the Secrets of Blackmoor Kickstarter, I'm enjoying the Castle El Raja Key from R. Kuntz and I try to play with my Spanish friends in the Internet the little we can. If only could I play more! I like reading parts of the 'First Fantasy Campaing' from time to time, and would really like to play a campaign along the lines presented therein (but, to be honest, I find the system a bit confusing. Maybe I need to do further reading!).

Anyway, after lurking for a while in these boards I wanted to jump in and say hi, and maybe participate a bit in some of the discussions with the little knowledge and experience I have in the subject as a latecomer.

That was it. Sorry for the long post, I hope it didn't bore those of you who made it til the end :-)

Baldorar

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 12:18 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 12:57 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello all thanks for the admit. I have been an avid follower of all things Mystara and BECMI for over 20 years now. Very interested in learning whats new here. :D

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 1:08 pm 

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 3:30 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello, all! First time visiting (although when attempting to register it said that my email was already registered but then would not let me retrieve a password or username) but I'll certainly be back. I love all of the gaming content online but there's just so MUCH of it that I will never get through it all.

Never played in Blackmoor but it interests me a lot because of the history of the game and the setting. Looking forward to learning more.

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 5:34 pm 
Serf
Serf

Havard gets around a lot of sites and this one is pretty nice so far. Something that soothes my eyes and isn't glaringly bright is a huge plus. I can't say I've had a lot of time with blackmoor. I read about it in all my Mentzer boxed sets ads and eventually I've looked over some but mostly from the Vaults of Pandius and the Piazza. As to editions. These days I find all have something to mine or just to read. I don't get all that snobby as far as games go since there are so many genres and editions and more out there. I started to read Numenera and am looking at Ravnica. Factions are always cool to me ever since I noticed them in Planescape and possibly a few other settings like Earth Dawn, Talislanta and various novels. And I enjoy the art of today. I can't wrap my head around how so much art gets produced but that's always been the case even in the ancient past if you look at some of the greats #s of work done.

Cheers.

PostPosted: May 28, 2019 6:38 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hi! I've just gotten back into RPGs a few years ago and found out about the cool material you are making. How do I get access to the downloads?

PostPosted: May 29, 2019 1:31 am 
Comically Terrible
Comically Terrible

Follow Thorn's Chronicle | |

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 61  Next