** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 20, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Mar 27, 2015 6:39 am 
Lord of the Regency Council

Welcome back TAD! :)

-Havard

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2015 6:10 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Hello again. Although I'm not sure we met here before. I get confused. :P

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2015 12:56 pm 
Peasant
Peasant

I was asked to introduce myself here. I was active on Dragonsfoot and some old Grognard boards under a few variants of this name over a decade ago. Havard was already a legend back then! I have been playing D&D and AD&D on and off since 1982 and I have been Dungeon Mastering my own World of Bardsville setting since 1984. I own hard copies of every D&D/AD&D product published by TSR prior to 1989 except Wilderness Geomorphs, Orange B3, ST1, and the set of PC sheets with the rare cover. I have never played any newer edition beyond a few sessions of 2E in the early 1990s

I recently decided to again position the islands where my campaign takes place in the context of a classic campaign world. Which one? Mystara has not aged well in my opinion. Too many of the Gazetteers are overly humorous and even as a child I could not swallow the 15+ ham-fisted allegorical world cultures living side-by-side in a land the size of Kentucky. Forgotten Realms is far too overpowered and magic heavy for my tastes. Greyhawk, even in its folio form, is too overdeveloped. I love Greyhawk, but I don't need Gods and ethnic histories fully plotted out for me. If I stuck my Isles on Oerth I would be playing Greyhawk, not my own campaign. I have also borrowed (directly lifted) liberally from all of these settings over the years, which would cause conflicts.

That left me with Blackmoor. I had never seriously looked at Blackmoor, even though I have the DA modules and the FFC. I looked into it late last month and I was VERY IMPRESSED with what I saw. It was perfect for my purposes and fit in well with existing facts of my campaign, which included mention of: 1. A Great Northern Continent 2. A decadent Empire with a break off kingdom in the North 3. A jihadist ethnicity attacking civilization 4. A "pantheon" of largely monotheistic Gods. I saw I could drop my Isles well to the east of Thonia. I am currently reading through FFC and the DA modules and tweaking my home campaign documents to integrate them with Blackmoor around the year 1024. I intend to run the DA series with native Blackmoor PCs this fall/winter.

I took a look at the D20 and the 4e Blackmoor supplements and they do not seem to me to be canon in the same way FFC/DA are. Has this been discussed? I look forward to discussing Blackmoor with you all.

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2015 1:22 pm 
Duke
Duke

Welcome and all the very best for your new / rebooted campaign!

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2015 8:18 am 

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2015 1:29 am 
Peasant
Peasant

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2015 4:36 pm 
Earl Redmoon of Walworth

Howdy Jacobite!
--Ron--

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 3:49 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello, all--

Some will easily decipher my moniker and deduce my identity quickly. Others may not, or may not even be aware of my forums personae. (Which is probably a good thing! :lol: )

I'd like to begin, here, by leaving all baggage I may have accumulated in the past...in the past. With one exception: I am very proud of the series of adventures I designed and independently published between 2008 and 2012. Some folks might recall them (the G4-5-6-7-8-9); some might even have one or more of them.

That said--

since retiring from most community activity, I have become focused on the Original rules game, and my own adaptation of its guidelines in creating my own campaign world (see OD&D Campaigns & House Rules/RuinsofMurkhill forum). So I spend much of my time there, doing this.

But I'm also curious to interact with folk that are looking for that original magic. You know, the awe and inspiration felt when you first adventured, running a character back in the day (before 1E and its sequels).

And, especially, with those from the Twin Cities campaign.

Well, I don't want to over-state my 'hello' so, that's about it. Hope to be chatting with y'all soon.

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 4:48 pm 

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2016 6:17 am 
Duke
Duke

Welcome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 61  Next