** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [BMX2] The mysteries of Cootswatch Docks
PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 4:24 pm 
Duke
Duke

Here is my proposal for the BMX project!

Setting and background: this game is set in a future Blackmoor, on an age that reminds of England '20s-'30s and is a lovecraftian one-off adventure (I'm not planning for any sequel).
It is fundamentally the conversion and adaptation to Blackmooe of an amateur gamebook adventure that I love: http://www.ffproject.com/bodies.htm its original title is The Strange Case of the Bodies in the Docks, by Simon Osborne.
Originally I was planning to run it as a play by post, but I'm growing more and more bored of play-by-[distance] games: face to face is so much better (and faster), so turning it into an adventure module sounds perfect to me.
Of course I obtained the full permission to do it by Simon Osborne first.

Ruleset: the basic ruleset will be Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2nd edition ( here http://www.arion-games.com/downloads.html you can find the quickstart guide), but I'll make a tailor made work on Talents and Special Skills available, in order to adapt it better to the setting.
I'm still unsure if leaving the game as solo game or allowing multi-players.

Adventure plots: they are mostly already done by Simon Osborne. I won't add too much.

What I do need:
- I have a half decent idea of the time when I would like to set this adventure within the ages of Blackmoor, but I'd like some help from Blackmoor historians, so that, at least, I will know which bits strictly adhere to canon or almost-canon and which I completely made up and are actually diverging from it.
- I will need some help putting together the disclaimer: I'm not good at all wity that stuff
- despite several years lived on this part of the world, my English is pretty rubbish, so I will need some proofreader
- it would be fantastic having proper betatesters, but at least some people willing to read properly the drafts and coming back with observations will help
- I need somebody doing the layout for me or at least guiding me closely in doing that, as I haven't got the sligtest idea (never mind skill) for doing that

Timelines: Extremely flexible... starting from a gamebook already existing helps speeding up the work, but... I don't have much spare time, these days, so don't expect very fast progression.... at least writing up this post created some kind of informal committment on my side.

Last edited by Yaztromo on Dec 14, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [BMX2] The mysteries of Cootswatch docks
PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 4:33 pm 
Duke
Duke

Post subject: Re: [BMX2] The mysteries of Cootswatch Docks
PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 11:23 am 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Congratulations!

The second module in the BMX series has been announced then! I find it interesting that this module too will be set in Blackmoor's future. :)

-Havard

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm 
Duke
Duke

Damn! I had a good thought about how to progress this, but time passes and I haven't put... fingers to keyboard yet... I still need to clear quite a lot of stuff... :oops:

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2016 6:40 pm 
Duke
Duke

So the first round of playtesting is under my belt, although the write up is still made up of sparse notes, rather than nicely typed up pages :oops:
From this one off session (played on the very 1st October not by mistake) I hope I learnt a lot and I'll do my best to use this experience to straighten a few things that need straightening. :wink:

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm 
Duke
Duke

Quite a lot of time has passed, but I kept play testing this adventure, although in the real earth of the twenties, as I didn't feel comfortable with the conversion to Blackmoor yet - I'd also need to generate a map, which is one of my many weaknesses...
I also modified AFF, creating a further simplified system.
I think I haven't fully cracked it yet, but getting there.
You can find the latest playltests here: https://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=74000&date=1597432583