** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jungle Realm of Tangor-What is known of it?
PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:03 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:15 pm 
Le Noir Faineant

You guys might want to check Charles Saunders; he writes fantasy novels in pre-colonist Africa.

Bad prose, but some of the most unconventional settings I have ever seen.

Inspired great part of Mordred, to say the least. :)

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Thanks Harvard I have a lot more ideas in mind for the Jungle Realm as well as the Desert Realm and thanks for pointing the name out. I started a small gazateer style thing the other day for the desert realm and it includes at least one or two ports and one of which is a slave market so thats for the suggestions Harvard!

Also thought of something new.
Frogfolk, these small humanoid frogs are old and are found inhabiting the deepest swamps where they squat in old temples to their former masters. They see the lizardfolk as traitors to their cause and often send plagues and disease to these all ready weakened people. They hail to the gods of their masters. They are not to be dealt with as their word is as toxic as their skin so beware of these creatures, it is unknown if there are related to the Temple of the Frog but we are not willing to ask.

My plans were to uses the Crimson Pelt Tribe as the replacement for Orcs and their demon lord isnt known besides the name of the Butcher of Men, was thinking Demogorgon with two minor gods being Hel and Thanatos.

Also will go do that, love the idea of Carnifex and Outer Beings. Sleeping Ones as well I've placed one in the Great Glacier and one bound to a magma tube beneath the sea causing weird tainted zones and mutations in aquatic creatures and even merfolks who look palid and craked skin wise. So many ideas so little time.

I always found it funyy when people think of Africa its all plains and grassland when yes thats a majority of the region there is still veredant patches. Some animals when they discover their intellegence will try to find others like them. A awakened monkey will look to find a awakened monkey for companionsip or try to teach its companions to get greatter intellegence. They can be a rare encounter in solitude or may find a small family group of awaken animals keeping each other safe.

I've been thinking of doing that but I have no idea about the classic dnd part. I think cleric with a list of Wendo giving diety benefits might do well with a custom spell list if not make it a alternate class feature with weapon limitations tossed aside to allow blades. They would more or less be witch doctors.

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2013 8:50 am 

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2013 9:34 am 

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but Catfolk (Rakasta) would also be quite appropriate in the Jungle Realm. I am working on the corresponding region of Bolgerie and thinking about introducing both Sherekasta (Tiger-folk) and Pardasta (Panther-folk) in this region.

-Havard

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2014 5:26 am 

Any updates on this project?

-Havard

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2014 5:38 am 
Le Noir Faineant

In for some wordplay?

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Thangorodrim

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

There is progress I just haven't had the chance to post any of it, my Internets out a home and been trying to find more work since mines gone seasonal.^_^;;

I'll give spoilers though. I've got a few races new and old in the area, as well as two BECMI classes half written, and at least 3 organizations that will hold power. Also two new 'gods' and some Outer Beings and Sleeping Ones.

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2014 5:24 am 

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2020 6:07 pm 

Connected to one of my projects, I've been looking into the history of Thonia's wars against the Jungle Realm natives. As mentioned in the OP, there isn't much official material on the region in published material. However, I'm working based on what we have got and extrapolating form that.

My theory is that Bolgerie, the Thonian province that is home to the dark skinned humans called Bolgers (per DA1) was once part of the Jungle Realm. I have not figured out the timeline quite yet, but my backstory for General Marcellius suggests that there were wars against the Jungle Realm in the late 400s of the Thonian Calendar. It is possible that this is when the entire region was brought into the Empire.

Just to change things around a little, my idea is that the Bolgers was not the main enemy of the Empire. Instead, the Bolgers (Humans) were fighting an invading force of Lizardfolk. These Lizardfolk (including Jungle Gatormen) are followers of Volketh and possibly linked to the Serpentine Empire. The Thonian Empire was much less corrupt back in those days and actually decided to ally with the Bolgers who eventually joined the Empire willingly.

The Lizardfolk still consider the Bolgerie region "theirs" and still seek to take it back from the Empire.

NEW EQUIPMENT
Turtleshell Armor: This armor is detailed in the BMPG. I could see some Bolgers introducing this type of armor to the Thonian Empire, even though Turtles can be found elsewhere as well.

NEW SPELLS
Elephant's Trample
Crocodile's Breath
Lion's Pounce
Rhino's Charge
The above spells found in the BMPG were introduced to the Thonian Empire by Bolger mages.

-Havard