** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Blog] The Burrower Wars
PostPosted: Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

With the end of the Age of the Cthonians, a Great Winter came upon the world. During this Ice Age, many of the ancient races perished. The ancient evils who had ruled in the previous Age were now either banished or had fallen into unnatural sleep becoming from now on known as the Sleeping Ones.

Although The Long Winter was hard for everyone, smaller races such as the humans and Dwarves were better at adapting than many other ancient races. Two races of humans came out of the Ice Age. Some resembled modern man, and others were of a more primitive breed. Brute Men they were called, and what they lacked in wisdom they made up for with physical strength. But it was their weak minds that would be their undoing.

During this age, a human shaman named Keres became fascinated with Death. Using his spirit magic, this Shaman was able to lure a God named Temrin into this world. Wielding a weapon that had been trapped in the Ice since the Cthonic Age, Keres murdered Temrin, drawing his power into himself. Upon the site of Temrin's murder would later be built a construction called the Temple of Id.

Keres the Shaman, used the power he had drained from Temrin to awaken the ancient Sleeping Ones trapped deep beneath the ground. Although they were still trapped, these Burrowers were slowly beginning to dig their way out. But even without reaching the surface, their minds could travel much faster.

In the north, both Humans and Brute Men had only mastered tools of stone, but the superior intellect of Humans allowed them to withstand the mental corruption of the Burrowers. Many of the Brute Men, however, became the unwilling slaves of those evils below. These corrupted Brute Men began to wage wars on Humans and Brute Men alike.

Raging on for two centuries, the Burrower Wars brought unthinkable destruction to the world. Even Dragons, usually oblivious to the affairs of the lesser races, were drawn into action. As a powerful Burrower known as Iscranin was about to emerge near the North Pole, it was attacked by the Great Dragon Yealaletherveri. Yealaletherveri died, but only after preventing the Burrower's escape.

The Gods now realized how serious the situation was. Learning of the murder of Temrin, it was agreed that intervention into the Mortal World was permitted. The Burrowers were returned to deep sleep. This marked the end of Brute Men in the North. The Burrower Wars had also weakened the position of Dragons, who were soon driven into the mountains by Giants. The Age of Men was still centuries away.

What happened to Keres the Shaman is not known. Some say he was punished by the Gods. Others say he had become a God himself.

Read the full version here: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... -wars.html

-Havard

Post subject: Re: [Blog] The Burrower Wars
PostPosted: Nov 20, 2012 10:46 pm 
Le Noir Faineant

You know you will have to run a campaign for us in that setting you created, right? :)

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2012 5:23 am 

Thanks!

Some more background for the article appears in the blog version:

Behind the curtains: Did I make up all of this?
What I like to do is combine information from different sources. The Burrower Wars were introduced in the Hollow World Boxed Set and expanded upon by OldDawg. I decided to combine this with the murder of Temrin as described in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor D20CS as well as elements of the history of Blackmoor from Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor (such as the Cthonian Age). Iscranin and Yealaletherveri appear in the novel Son of Dawn and are placed into context in the History of Dragonkind by Simone Neri.

Further comments (not included in the blog) :

I have always wanted to expand on the Burrower Wars era, but it seemed that something was missing. Mainly it was the lack of specific events and perhaps even more importantly: people.

Something clicked when I realized that this was an ideal placement for the Murder of Temrin (from the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook). This allowed me to invent the character Keres the Shaman and give some identity to the different tribes.

Simone Neri's work adapting Iscranin and Yealaletherveri to the same era was ideal for me as it gives us the name of one of the Burrowers (Iscranin ) and also one of the Great Dragons of this age.

I am already working on a part II article for the Burrower Wars Series so more to come in the days ahead! :)

-Havard

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 1:52 pm 
Duke
Duke

Most of these men at Burrowers Wars times are hunter-gatherers, some may be riders or have dogs/wolves as domestic animals, probably some men even has some kind of cattle (goats, sheeps, aurochs, uri, cows, camels, yaks, moose, etc.). Possibly they even have some agriculture in the most fertile lands and some city in the Caldean / Babylonian style and... well... in Mystara lots of civilizations and wonders of the RW have been translated, but not Babel (Babylon) tower... and... of course i was wondering if this could fit into this setting... in the RW mythology Babel tower brings language confusion and chaos in the worls, as division in languages generates division in tribes and war. After all, all this can be associated with Thanatos and/or with the Burrowers :wink: and maybe a tower is part of the process that Keres used to contact the gods (Thanatos? Temrin? both?) and then transfer his power to awake the Burrowers (that in turn send confusion, madness and eventually inspire wars)...
Just some free flowing passing though put down.... up to you how much, if at all, you want to use some of this as part of your work... :wink:

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 2:03 pm 
Duke
Duke

After all, you'll need a number of themes and motives to weave into this setting in order to make it more various and interesting, besides Keres' story... :wink:

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2012 3:15 pm 
Duke
Duke

ahahah... possibly even Noah's ark would fit with this setting... :wink:
although possibly a more relevant one can be related with Dune, with the possible liaison between the Burrowers and the big sand worms, worshipped by hard and semi-primitive tribes...

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 3:07 pm 
Duke
Duke

I'm not sure as I usually mess up the dates and timelines of MY life :oops: , so you can expect an even worse mess with Mystara dates... :cry:
Are we far from the times of Kaygar mortal life?

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 7:35 pm 

PostPosted: Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
Duke
Duke

Maybe it was just my impression, based on nothing, but I thought that the Burrowers wars lasted for long, long time: centuries or millennia, rather than few years (possibly with along anti-climax).