** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Titan] a fantasy world with technomagic!
PostPosted: Jul 25, 2021 11:59 am 
Duke
Duke

I recently played Crystal of Storms a Fighting Fantasy gamebook that, strictly speaking, have nothing to share with Blackmoor, as the setting associated is the world of Titan , that is totally independent from Blackmoor.
However, while playing, I found a word that made me jump: "technomagic"!
According to Rhianna Pratchett, the author of this Fighting Fantasy adventure, in this context, technomagic is a mix of technology and elementalism and it was in most part invented by a strange group of goblins (strange in the sense that they are not the standard basic fantasy villains, but rather a sub-race of tinkerers, a bit like the gnomes on Blackmoor and, even more, Mystara). Another strange race particularly well connected to technologic are the Stormkind, creatures made of air and water and magic.
Technomagic, in this adventure, is used mostly to charge magic crystals that are used to power strange, electromechanical-type devices, such as hovers, that are light-as-air metalwork, portable wings. Much bigger crystals maintain the archipelago of Pangara (made of six islands) suspended in the air over the Ocean of Tempests.
For sure they are not related world, but there are quite a few tropes, creatures and objects that can be reciprocally stolen with pride ;)