** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 6:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mishler's Northern Marches Maps
PostPosted: May 11, 2018 10:59 pm 
Peasant
Peasant

This thread shall contain all the various maps from my Northern Marches Campaign.

Map Links

Click the link above for the full-sized version of this image in PNG format.

Last edited by JamesMishler on May 19, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mishler's Northern Marches Maps
PostPosted: May 11, 2018 11:00 pm 
Peasant
Peasant

Sadly, attachments only go up to 256k, and I have never figured out how to make Google Drive images show up in a post on these kinds of boards...

Rather than use the map at the traditional 10, 12, or 24 miles, I am going to go with 15 miles per hex. This lets me neatly divide the map into nine regions, each the size of a Wilderlands region map. Gives me a bit more space to work with and allows me to be more granular.

The nice thing with this is, once I get the other regional maps going, anyone can use them at their preferred scale:

Big Map = Region Map
10 miles = 3.33 miles (FFC)
12 miles = 4 miles (DA3, DA4)
15 miles = 5 miles (Mine)
18 miles = 6 miles (5E D&D)
24 miles = 8 miles (DA1, Mystara)

Note that I am not going to be using the map included in DA3. I am going with the original concept of there being desert nomads (Salikar/Arabs) to the south and plains/steppe nomads to the southwest (Peshwah/Scythians). I am placing a nation of Amazon nomads (Amerinds/Horseclans) in the plains to the wests of Tenh (I am going with the Tenh spelling for reasons). The Great Dismal Swamp is held by the Picts; Loch Gloomen consists of the "farmland" hexes, the holds on the Misauga, and the trails in between (sometimes).

Note: No Afridhi in this campaign; it is far too early in the era. The campaign is going to start in Spring 1071, with the Baron of Glendower stuck in Blackmoor and the Egg of Coot holding his barony.

Stars are large towns (2,000+), dots in circles are small towns (800-2,000), squares in circles are special fortified features (Ringlo Hall, the abbeys, wizard's towers, etc.), while squares are mere citadels, castles, towers, or keeps of major sort. No lairs and such on this one, though I have sketched out a few major ruin locales.

I have expanded some of the forests, added forests in the swamp (which are marked as marsh, but are mostly swamp, because the swamp hex gives me a headache). I have not cut feature borders to match the originals as I will do that level of detail on the region maps, and re-cutting feature zones is a pain at that level of detail going from the parent map to the child map.

Eventually I will add names to this map, but that is secondary right now to getting to work on the child maps.

PostPosted: May 12, 2018 7:10 am 
Lord of the Regency Council

Very nice James!

I like your setup with the Egg controlling Glendover. Holding off the Afridhi for now also seems like a good move in making this campaign feel different from the DA series and the ZGG line.

-Havard

PostPosted: May 19, 2018 6:30 pm 
Peasant
Peasant

Havard, is there any way using this forum system to link a picture such that it displays in the thread, rather than forcing people to click and go elsewhere? That is, and get around the very small 256k limit?

PostPosted: May 20, 2018 12:50 pm