** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Does Bad Karma Disqualify from Resurrection?
Poll ended at Apr 21, 2015 2:01 pm
Yes 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2015/04/07
PostPosted: Apr 09, 2015 2:01 pm 
Lord
Lord

This time we had an extra large sausage pizza.

Games are on Tuesdays sometime after 6PM at World's Best Comics, 9714 Warwick Blvd Newport News, Virginia 23601. (Note change from 5PM, I can never seem to leave work early.)

This missive is also posted on two forums:

(This one) and http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/forum/ ... php?fid=13

And one blog:

http://furiouslyeclectic.com/hackmoor

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

Before the party boarded ship to leave Elefus' stronghold and since he was at his "lair", he decided to set up franchises for all his acquired wealth. For all the gems and jewelry from his hoard, he set up Elefus' Rainbow of Jewelry, and Elefus' Adventurers Emptorium. Due to the high value of the items it was set up within the stronghold rather than a strip mall or outlet store outside the walls.

For those who wish to follow the Blackmoor game setting, hexagon numbers are from the TSR DA1 map rather than the old Judges Guild brown map. Elefus' Stronghold was in hex 2804, and the town's docks were in obviously down the road in hex 2904.

The voyage took two weeks of random sailing for wind direction and weather. Highlights as follows. This time I'll simply copy from the Player's log rather than give a full write up.

Day 1 of Sailing poor winds ending up at hex 2905, no event. (Also Mysery's 3rd year anniversary of joining the party, player is off-line.)
Day 2 of Sailing good winds Running Two Hexes, to 3006, no event.
Day 3 of Sailing Becalmed. Ignore Giant Eel. No one was swimming so there was nothing to worry about.
Day 4 of Sailing Small Breeze half hex to 3006/3007 hex spine.
Day 5 of Sailing Luffed, Turn to Port 90 degrees to tack, no headway.
Day 6 of Sailing Luffed, Turn to Starboard, 1 hex 3107/3206 spine. Ignore Yellow Urchin. Again no one was deep sea diving so it could be ignored.
Day 7 of Sailing Luffed, Tack Port, 1 hex 3307 Strong Gale
Day 8 Sail Running Moderate Breeze 2 hexes to 3408. (Anniversary date for Snizzlephish, year +2 he is also out of play.)
Day 9 of Sailing Luffed, Tack Port, 1 hex 3510 Light Breeze Broad Reaching. Ignored merchant ship encounter
Day 10 Light Breeze Broad Reaching 2 Hexes Hex 3511
Day 11 Light Breeze Close Hauled 1 Hex Hex 3512
Day 12 Light Breeze Close Hauled 1.5 Hex Hex 3515
Day 13 Moderate Breeze Luffed, dropped anchor same hex to avoid sternway.
Day 14 Hurricane, still at anchor, the ship capsized but with full effort of the crew then righted. It was a "small" ship so I allowed it. While physically impossible it is a Fantasy game. I figure the anchor still in place must have helped in the righting. (Numrendir played a Mulligan card to avoid capsizing but failed, good try.)
Day 15, Moderate Breeze Broad Reaching to Hex 3517. Just one day out they had two major encounters so I have to get off the Player Log and get back into narrative.

The first encounter was a portal appeared on the one of the yardarms. Elefus first reaction was to send the Impling to go through it to "earn his keep". The Impling refused, saying it wasn't "his" portal (since an Impling keeps a personal portal to the lower planes within a mile of their lair, he would know, although I'm not sure whether the portals move with the Impling, otherwise it would have to be back near the Tower where they found him.)

So Huang, since he was under the effect of Bad Karma and I presume it would be something heroic to get out of it, decided it go through the portal and investigate. Unfortunately it was a Portal of Devouring and Huang was killed immediately. Or at least all living matter. All his clothes fell to the deck.

Elefus gave up and blasted it with his Model S3 Blaster at the Black (disintegrate) setting.

Fortunately the party had previously decided to collect DNA samples (hair) from every member of the party and store them in a secure location (Either Vestfold or Blackmoor). This means they could a resurrection spell on Huang later on. Elefus promised to do so, either when they found a Cleric of the appropriate level, or when he raised level sufficiently.

The next encounter was with a hundred hit dice Sea Monster. They were about to make one more attempt at avoiding the encounter (a.k.a. running away) when I told them it was worth ninety-thousand experience points.

They decided to fight it.

Weasel used his Ring of Flying and Weasel used his Boots of Flying to approach with their Model S3 Blaster Rifles with the dial again set to Black. The effect would be to completely eliminate six cubic feet of matter for each blast. They waited for the Sea Monster to raise its ugly head out of the water and fired.

I thought this was going to be a long and drawn out battle. I also believed there was no way a hundred hit dice monster could fail saving throws versus both blasts, it would have to effectively "fumble" by rolling a one on a twenty-sided die.

So after Elefus's shot, I rolled the creature's save and got a one.

I also rolled for Weasel's shot and rolled another one.

Epic fail, two ones on two twenty sided dice in a row.

Since they had fired at the creature's head, (even though it was large enough to swallow the ship whole) I had to judge they removed 12 cubic feet of its brain and killed it instantly.

After it sank, Elefus promptly quaffed a Potion of Water Breathing and recovered 65 of the creatures scales. Which should easily be raw material for magic shields. They also marked their location to return for future salvage operations.

So they sailed into Blackmoor the next day with Ninety-thousand experience points under their belts. Next session everyone will go through the schooling procedure and raise to the next level.

Except for Huang of course and others under Bad Karma (Numrendir, Kmaregh). No new levels for YOU!

Come to think of it, would it be even possible to resurrect a character that died with Bad Karma? I think I'll make that a poll on the Forums.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

BT

BBBB

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

CHARACTERS
Count Elefus, Human Male Deacon
Sir Weasel, Human Guild Soldier, Enchanter, & Myrmidon
Sir Kmaregh Dismal, Human Thaumaturgist (Bad Karma)
Sir Huang - Master Monk of the Stone Tiger Order (Deceased)
Dame Honda - Human Samurai Bushi
Numrendir - Human Coercer, (Bad Karma)
Bane - Human Hero
Twitch - Human Larcenist
Slade - Dwarven Gumshoe (3rd level Bounty Hunter) New Player.

NPCs:
Nine Pilgrim Henchmen with swords.

CAPTURED CHARACTERS
Junkbot Jackson - Tracker/Adept
Gerry Castagere, Human Fingersmith, and ever loving devotee of Elefus
Fundisha - Half-Elf Swordsperson

NNNN

Post subject: Re: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2015/04/07
PostPosted: Apr 10, 2015 7:13 am 
The Blue Rider

I don't know the Hackmaster rules system at all, so I'm not voting in the poll, but given he died attempting an heroic action, I would say he could be resurrected, whatever the rules officially say.

The question I would ask is whether he retains his bad karma once resurrected, or was getting heroically killed enough to remove it?

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on | |

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2015 1:09 pm 
Lord
Lord

Your answer is sufficient enough for me. Actually it makes a good excuse for resurrection.

NNNN

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2015 4:52 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Good Karma=He goes to Nirwana.
Bad Karma= He gets ressurrected.

Or maybe I am confusing the Hackmaster rules with Buddhism? ;)

-Havard